Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2022, 05:01 PM   #1
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Aftermarket Drawer Slides?

Hi, Was wondering if anyone has come up with an aftermarket drawer slide that will work with the motorhome drawers.

Looked on Amazon, but most of them are about 1.77" tall and the ones in my motorhome are about 1.39" tall. Need 22" ones.

Last trip had two drawers come out in a turn and the drawer slides came apart with ball bearings scattering everywhere.

Also looking to ad some magnetic child proof locks to the drawers. Bought some on Amazon, but will have to modify the drawers slightly to make them work.

For a 2016 Itasca Sunova 35G.

Thanks!
spydorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The height of 1.39" vs. 1.77" isn't critical as long as the weight rating is sufficient. The thickness is critical, as is the length (0.5" is standard). In general, the taller the height, the greater the weight rating but manufactures might vary in terms of the relationship. If they're slightly thinner, you can use shims but thicker is a problem.

Here's one that's 1.8" high, 0.5" thick and 21.8" long, which is essentially 22", the 0.2" isn't going to make a difference:

https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-D8062...g=toughjobs-20
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We had this happen a couple times, but were fortunate that the rails remained intact and the drawers slid back in. We did several things to remediate:

1. Move the heavy pots and pans to a bedroom drawer that's blocked by the bed when the slide is closed.
2. Replaced the drawer latches with higher strength latches.
3. Installed child-proof latches to keep the drawers from opening, like these: https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Invis...%2C133&sr=8-12
4. THE fix: did the CHF, which stops the body roll that causes the drawers to open in the first place. I think if I had done this first, fixes 1-3 might not have been necessary.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:04 AM   #4
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Thanks!
As far as the height goes, I'll probably go with the wider ones as suggested. Was hoping not to have to change out the rear support bracket, as its a reach back there to replace it.

I decided to go with these magnetic child proof locks since they can be set to be disconnected during daily use and re-engaged while traveling. Have to modify the drawer slightly to make them work though.

Vmaisi Adhesive Magnetic Cabinet Locks
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B47PDB4...roduct_details

Guess I don't spend enough time here because I am not sure what the CHF Fix is. If its suspension enhancements, the coach has them. The drawers slid out in a tight 270 degree turn on a freeway off ramp.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-23-2022, 08:11 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydorman View Post
Guess I don't spend enough time here because I am not sure what the CHF Fix is. If its suspension enhancements, the coach has them.
CHF = Cheap Handling Fix
It is when you change the attachment of the stock anti-roll bar to increase roll stiffness.

It’s legend in the RV Forum internet world.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
CHF = Cheap Handling Fix
It is when you change the attachment of the stock anti-roll bar to increase roll stiffness.

It’s legend in the RV Forum internet world.
There's a Cheap Handling Fix thread on IRV2.com that's 460 of pages long and is difficult to follow. I was interested until, after wading through upteen pages I realized it's only for the Ford F53 chassis. Here's a video overview for those that might be interested:

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #7
DonMcF

Drawer slide upgrade

I had the same experience on my 2016 Vista 31ke with the large drawer under our oven where we keep the pots & pans.
I replaced the drawer slides with heavy duty 22” slides bought from Home Depot. I did have to replace the stock metal brackets in the back with the larger nylon version that came with the slides. It took a little effort to reach to the rear of the opening to install those brackets, but the result was worth the effort. The slides have a bit of a catch to them that supplements the drawer catch. The problem hasn’t reoccurred.
Donmcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:11 PM   #8
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmcf View Post
I had the same experience on my 2016 Vista 31ke with the large drawer under our oven where we keep the pots & pans.
I replaced the drawer slides with heavy duty 22” slides bought from Home Depot. I did have to replace the stock metal brackets in the back with the larger nylon version that came with the slides. It took a little effort to reach to the rear of the opening to install those brackets, but the result was worth the effort. The slides have a bit of a catch to them that supplements the drawer catch. The problem hasn’t reoccurred.
Thanks Don,

I bought some heavier duty ones off of Amazon. I had the same problem with the lower drawers that had the pots and pans in them. Agree on installing the new brackets in the back. These old bones don't like those positions any more. I also added the child proof magnetic locks to all the drawers. Drove it out to storage today with some tight on and off ramp turns and none came out.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

RV drawer slides have a small metal tab at the front that gets bent inward when a drawer is closed forcefully, (slams shut) Remove drawer, use chain nose pliers to bend the tab straight up again. The drawer again catches and remains shut in a turn.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide