Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

After market Lion batteries?

I've ordered a Navion 24D.

Can I just replace lead acid batteries with Lion batteries after I receive the coach, or is there more to it than just changing out the batteries?
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post

Can I just replace lead acid batteries with Lion batteries after I receive the coach, or is there more to it than just changing out the batteries?
Yes and no. If simply replacing your lead acid with lithium ones is all you do, you will have two issues:

1. The charger built in to your converter is not optimized for charging lithium batteries, so it won't charge past 85% generally. There is nothing wrong with that but you won't be getting all of the lithium battery's capacity. Another related issue is that lithiums can be charged much faster which limits generator run time. Replacing the charger part of your converter with a lithium specific Progressive Dynamics 80A charger solves both issues.

2. In some cases the lithium batteries can draw more current from the chassis alternator than it can safely supply long term- it overheats and destroys the windings. Evidence is scarce and with no more than 200 Ahs of lithium batteries I wouldn't worry about it. If you go up to 400 Ahs you may need to replace your BIM 160 (assuming that is what you have) with a Li BIM 225. That BIM cycles on and off to limit current from the alternator.

David
Old 09-09-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post

What does the option include and how much does it cost? If there are options within the option, detail those as well.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries