Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Advice needed for Slide outs...

2002 Winnebago Journey with LR and BR slides.

I've been going through all the materials that I have about the HWH Series 310 Hydraulic leveling and room extension system and can not find any maintenance procedure in the many documents I have.

Here's a picture of both slides extended. The rear slide is electric and works fine. It contains the bedroom closet. Operation is smooth and reliable. No leaks.

The LR slide, which extends from behind the driver's seat back to the bathroom wall, is a flat floor type and works well. No strange noises, no twisting, no hesitation during operation. No leaks during the heaviest of rain storms. No marks on the floor from when it's retracted. I'd like to keep it operating perfectly as it does now.

So, can anyone give me their thoughts on the maintainance I need to do on the slides, seals, and the slide roof awnings?

Or links to threads that cover it?

Thanks!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

None that I know of. Do NOT DO what my mechanic did and lubricate the rollers. The lubricant deposited on the carpet in the bedroom and made quite a mess.

What you can do is make sure all the electrical connections are clean and tight on the hydraulic system itself.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

About the only thing to look for on the slideouts is the plastic wear blocks on the ramp part of the mechanism. These plastic blocks can wear, and if worn down enough, can cause the slideout mechanism not work properly.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I clean my seals and toppers with baby shampoo and vinegar then wipe down with 303 protectant inside and out. I clean and lube motor gears with CRC Lube with PFTE (teflon) ... use the same lube on the jack pistons.

Kudos to you - it appears you've got a well taken care of coach ... enjoy!
Old 11-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
I clean my seals and toppers with baby shampoo and vinegar then wipe down with 303 protectant inside and out. I clean and lube motor gears with CRC Lube with PFTE (teflon) ... use the same lube on the jack pistons.

Kudos to you - it appears you've got a well taken care of coach ... enjoy!

This is also what I do although mine are Power Gear they are essentially the same. The seal are very important- especially the outer ones. I use a foaming type lube then wipe down with a cotton towel. Never a problem in 9 years.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I've heard that it's OK to use vaseline on the seals in a pinch. Some even swear it's the best protectant. Any thoughts on that?

I've heard about using the Teflon spray on the guides and gears if you can reach them...I don't see any gear assemblies on my front or rear slide. There's some big aluminum tubes that seem to have a bit of wear on them. If there are any gears, they're well hidden. I'll have to take a very careful look at it when I get further south. That's when I want to lube the mechanisms. And the seals too.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I've heard that it's OK to use vaseline on the seals in a pinch. Some even swear it's the best protectant. Any thoughts on that?

I've heard about using the Teflon spray on the guides and gears if you can reach them...I don't see any gear assemblies on my front or rear slide. There's some big aluminum tubes that seem to have a bit of wear on them. If there are any gears, they're well hidden. I'll have to take a very careful look at it when I get further south. That's when I want to lube the mechanisms. And the seals too.
Jim, I would not use Vaseline on your seals, it will attract dust and will just create a bigger mess. Just wipe them down with some 303 protectant, your seals are only exposed when the slide is out.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Jim, I would not use Vaseline on your seals, it will attract dust and will just create a bigger mess. Just wipe them down with some 303 protectant, your seals are only exposed when the slide is out.
OK, 303 and Teflon. I'll get those today.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Jim
Look under the coach body - you may then be able to see a motor and gear shaft...
Old 11-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Jim
Look under the coach body - you may then be able to see a motor and gear shaft...
Unless I'm mistaken, the HWH 310 system doesn't use any gears or motor; it is all hydraulic rams.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Jim
I believe he has HWH jacks and slideouts, so there will be no motor and gearshaft on his slideouts.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Rear slide out is hydralic not electric on your coach. Rkl
Old 11-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I believe he has HWH jacks and slideouts, so there will be no motor and gearshaft on his slideouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
Rear slide out is hydralic not electric on your coach. Rkl
You guys are right! Thanks for the info.

I found that my HWH system does control the rear slide too, using a single hydraulic ram. I studied the book last March and missed that somehow.

This morning was a travel day and of course neither slide worked when I tried to pull them in. Pulled out the HWH book and studied it carefully, this time I found that information you guys are mentioning. I also found that there was a 2-wire connector that had fallen off at the controller under the dash. Once that was reconnected, both slides were working again.

Whew! Was on the road just 1/2 hour late.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

As you figured out, both slides are hydraulic. The pump, reservoir, and all control valves for the slides and jacks are located under the entrance steps. Look for the hinge secrews to lift the steps. Control for all of it is located under the coach just ahead of the door.

As for the slide tubes, they can get dirty or corroded. You can spray them with dry lube or slide lube to keep from bringing the nylon bushings down.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
As you figured out, both slides are hydraulic. The pump, reservoir, and all control valves for the slides and jacks are located under the entrance steps. Look for the hinge screws to lift the steps. Control for all of it is located under the coach just ahead of the door.

As for the slide tubes, they can get dirty or corroded. You can spray them with dry lube or slide lube to keep from bringing the nylon bushings down.
My HWH hydraulic system setup is under the LR slide. You have lots of access to it when the slide is extended. Very little, but some, when the slide is retracted. The HWH assembly doesn't move when the slide goes in and out though. It's kind of exposed to road grime but it's surprisingly clear of debris. Which is nice.

As for the lubrication, yeah, I think I'll get some graphite spray. I've had that recommended 2-3 times now.

Tags
advice, slide, slide out