Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Cool Adventurer Basement Air Fix

I have a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer that we purchased spring 2011. The RV only had 950 miles. However, our first few trips out last summer, the air was extremely cold, it just could not keep the RV cool when the temperatures were above 85 degrees (basement unit). We just returned from our first trip out this summer to Myrtle Beach and the weather was great. However, the temperature was in the mid 80s and we were not anywhere near any shade. I looked for other Adventurer owners to talk AC. One gentleman I ran into stated he had the same problem with his 2007 Adventurer. The problem was the duct work between the rear of the RV and the fiberglass end cab had split and he was cooling the great outdoors. I immediately returned to our unit and checked for a cold air leak. Sure enough, the duct work was not sealed for about a three foot section going up into the ceiling. I was too broad shouldered to fit into the space to fix the crack so our 14 year old son wiggled into the space and taped the duct work back together. The rest of the week was great. The air could be set at 70 and the heat pump would actually shut off when the RV reached the correct temp. Normally, the AC would run all day and not get below 82 or so. Thanks Harless for the tip on what to look for.
AgnewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have experinced a simiular problem. I removed the pass side tail light and removed the steel bracket. I was able to cut away some of the fiberglass under the bracket so I could reach thru to wipe down with Acetone' and apply new tape. I also sprayed the weakened taped area with a rust-oleum Leakseal a flexible rubber coating. It seems like it will work. Will be vacationing mid July so will be using the a/c.( fingers crossed!)

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum. I have an 06 38J adventurer and so far...AC is working great. Many models with the basement AC get the same duct split. Glad you found it and now get better performance.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have read several posts on this recently and am wondering, do you feel cold air spilling of the bottom of the cap below the tiallight? Or is it just lie on your back and look up there?
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My split was easy to see! No question you would feel the leak if you could reach that far. With access through the tail light I would be able to feel mine. I can only relate to my experiance. I have read where some have had to remove the rear cap, spending many$$. I hope not to need this to be done. Again it's just another place that can fail, and hopefully yours is not leaking.

Equinox Toad
Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I just crawled under the rear section and saw the split. I could feel some air flow but it was immediately noticeable.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys, have to check mine when I pull it out of storage this week.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you need to access thru the tail light I used duct tape to smooth out the rough edges.

Equinox Toad
Old 07-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have an 07 and just experienced the spilt duct while camping at myrtle beach. Coach hit 90+ inside. AC temp coming out of duct was 75 in bedroom. Removed tail light and had to tape duct. Temp now 62 coming out of bedroom duct.

Black RV in direct sun with outside temps nearing 100 and we are holding around 77~78 which seems reasonable.
swreeder70 is offline   Reply With Quote