Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Adjusting the hood.

On our 2003 Itasca the hood pulls out and folds down to allow access the the engine area. The hood hangs down a little when in the up position and causes the top of the hood to hang out an inch or so.
Does anyone have a hint on adjusting the hood?
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Look closely at the "hinges" inside your engine compartment. There is a couple bolts and slotted mounting slides in the hinges that you can adjust the tilt of your hood with. I don't remember just exactly where they are but I remember having to adjust mine. Our mh is in storage now or I could give you a better description. I just remember they were hard to see because the hinges and bolts are painted black and the inside of the engine compartment is very dark especially when standing outside in sunlight so they are hard to see at first.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I tried the adjustments you mention but still the top hangs down. The hood is harder to close and open now.
Hard to see how they hold the hood up and closed by the bottom. There should be latches at the top too. I think I may put two compartment latches along the top to hold the hood in place.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our 2005 Voyage had the same issue and I have seen threads on this before, here is one>>>
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/winn...ent-28143.html
I was able to get ours adjusted after some patient trial and error. 1st put some tape around the hood bay opening to protect it while "adjusting". There are height adjustments on the hood but those dont seem to be the problem most of the time. The adjustments on the body portion will be more likely the issue, I scribed my starting points on ALL adjustment areas then started moving things until I could see I was going the right direction. I then adjusted the hood height (top to bottom) last. If it is really out you may have to increase length of the slots in the adjustment holes, better to remove the hood if needed to access the hinges, a die grinder bit works well and you should not need to completely remove the hinge assy. Its hard to describe how this is done but if you are patient you will get it right. Just remember to start with a reference point. I did mine a year ago and it has been fine since. 5K miles since.
Good luck
RG
RedGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Also check for broken welds and if your hood is glued to the metal supports as most are check to make sure the glue is still holding strong.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a Winnebago 2005 Sightseer. Below is how I adjusted my hood.

Loosen all three bolts holding the hinge bracket in place on one side of the hood. The two upper bolts are studs with 1/2 inch nuts. Loosen the nuts. The bottom fastener is a rubber stop held in place by an upper and lower 1/2 inch jam nuts. I loosened the lower nut. By the way all you will need is two 1/2 inch wrenches. Once everything was loose on the passenger side with the hood open so there is access to tighten the fasteners push in on the top of the hood and pull out on the bottom of the hood. This pressure will push the top of the hinge bracket back and pull the bottom out. Keeping the pressure on I tightened all of the nuts starting at the top and working down. I repeated this process on the other side. For my rig I needed all of the adjustment available. It might be helpful to have a helper to put pressure on the hood but I was able to do it by myself.

After I made the adjustment to the hood hinge brackets the top of the hood hit the top of the hood recessed opening. I loosened the nuts on one side of the hood and adjusted the hood down. I repeated the process lowering the other side. I made adjustments till my hood decals aligned with the body decals.

Next I adjusted the five rubber stops so that they contacted the hood when closed.

I hope this works for you.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the help I'll give your ideas a whirl if we get a warm day.