Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adjusting Slide on 38T Winnebago

Looking at the slide from inside our 38T, it is tighter at the top then the bottom on the refrigerator side, I can not get my finger in at the top to touch the seal and on the bottom I can get my finger in behind the seal easily. It looks like it is out of adjustment by at least 1/2 inch are more What I am wanting to know if this is a problem that can be easily adjusted, are is it something that a dealer should look at.
Also has anyone else have this problem.
Thanks for any and all comments

2007 Winnnebago Adventurer 38T
Want-a-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Probably something the dealer should look at.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My experience with dealers concerning slideout adjustments is they don't know "come here from sic-um". And I've had mine to Forest City twice now requesting the slide-out be adjusted so it doesn't rub on the carpet so heavy and the last time it ended up even worse than when I got there. And usually they don't discuss what they have done or not done on a job like this until late the afternoon you are to leave. Also, when I tried to get some help from HWH, who makes the slide mechanism, I ran into a dead end there also.
If you find someone who can really really help you I will definitely be reading your posts for follow-up.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Want-A-Be - Do you know if the descrepancy you are describing is "new", or could it have been there as long as you have owned your 38T?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Sonny...our 2007 38T has developed an issue with the bedroom slide. The carpet is now pushed out, from the bottom, and pushed over to the inside wall and all lumpy. The carpet has been pushed out of the holding strip by the slide. I just came back from one RV repair shop that was telling me that the slide has to completely come out to fix the carpet. Ouch! I have also called Forest City for advise, since the MH is no longer under a Winny warranty. FC advised me to take the MH to my selling Winny dealer, for a look see and possible fix. I am trying to get Winnebago to cover the repair (or some kind of fix) as I believe this is a design and engineering issue. I have not done anything but use the RV like any user would and now my carpet is becoming an issue. I will have the RV in the Winny shop in a couple of weeks and will know what can be done by Winny. Hopefully something.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

As nice as they are, slide-outs can sure be a pain in the __.
Wouldn't do without the two I have, but still keep thinking how care-free it was with my '93 Bounder and no slides. Have problems with the living room slide scraping the carpet going in/out but seems to help by holding the thin plastic poster board strips under each end and so far the closet slide is working okay (knock on wood).

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sorry it took so long to get back, we have been on the road.
Going to take it back to the dealer where we brought it.
This is a problem that I had them address before so I will give them another chance. I hope they correct it this time.
Thanks for all the Info. I will let you know how it turns out.
Want-a-be

Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Sonny,
We have some good news about our slide problem. Our issue is the bedroom slide was lifting and rolling up the floor carpet, this then exposed the plywood flooring and was forcing the top of the slide to stick out as the slide could not close with the bunched up carpet. WE took the coach to our Winnebago dealer and after inspection and appraisal by Winnebago they said that they will fix our problem, even with the coach out of warranty, as the reason seems to be a poor install and failed parts. Also there are some slide bolts that had sheared off and caused the slide to drop out of adjustment, which also was catching the carpet and lifting it up.

As I understand it, the repairs Winnebago will cover is our all issues. This will be replacing sheared off the bolts, lifting the slide by removing the bed, lifting the slider up enough to then lift the area that holds the carpet down when the slide moves, pull the carpet back into place and then reattach the carpet and further tack the carpet down and finally reattach the bed back to the wall. We are waiting to have the bolts and attachment parts shipped in from Winnebago. Needless to say we are more that pleased with Winnebago's help and response. I had called Forest City for help, thinking I could drive out from California, but they said first to see our local Winnebago repair shop for a look see to save on a long trip. Local repair shop was very helpful saving us a long trip.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Sonny,
We have some good news about our slide problem. Our issue is the bedroom slide was lifting and rolling up the floor carpet, this then exposed the plywood flooring and was forcing the top of the slide to stick out as the slide could not close with the bunched up carpet. WE took the coach to our Winnebago dealer and after inspection and appraisal by Winnebago they said that they will fix our problem, even with the coach out of warranty, as the reason seems to be a poor install and failed parts. Also there are some slide bolts that had sheared off and caused the slide to drop out of adjustment, which also was catching the carpet and lifting it up.

As I understand it, the repairs Winnebago will cover is our all issues. This will be replacing sheared off the bolts, lifting the slide by removing the bed, lifting the slider up enough to then lift the area that holds the carpet down when the slide moves, pull the carpet back into place and then reattach the carpet and further tack the carpet down and finally reattach the bed back to the wall. We are waiting to have the bolts and attachment parts shipped in from Winnebago. Needless to say we are more that pleased with Winnebago's help and response. I had called Forest City for help, thinking I could drive out from California, but they said first to see our local Winnebago repair shop for a look see to save on a long trip. Local repair shop was very helpful saving us a long trip.
I am glad that everything is coming together for you. Ours is in the shop right now, I got a call from the dealer telling me that they where going to replace a couple of solenoids, sure hope this takes care of the problem.
Good luck and thanks for the update.
want-a-be