Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adhesive to hood brackets

I just went to check the oil before a trip and when closing the hood I noticed that it wouldn't close properly. Grabbing a flashlight and sticking my head into the opening, I noticed that the lower brackets on both sides of the hood have broken away from the adhesive that holds it together. to the fiberglass. It looks like it is some sort of rubber that the metal portion of the bracket in bonded into. Does anyone know what can be used to fix this problem? Possibly Super glue, JB Weld, or even this new UV light glue. It's a 2012 Winnebago Adventurer.
dach162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There's a lot of threads about the brackets falling off it's metal to fiberglass and I think the different expansion contraction rates of metal and fiberglass make it fail eventually. Brackets on both sides of the hood came loose on my 2015 Vista. Brackets holding the grille came loose too. I used JB Weld but also put two stainless steel machine bolts thru each hood bracket and same in the grille brackets that came loose, they hold the bracket immobile while the JB sets and provides some additional mechanical support to supplement the epoxy. My fixes have lasted over 2 years without any issues.

Winnebago uses an industrial epoxy at the plant at Forest City to put the various brackets on the front caps before they are placed on the RVs. They use jigs to position and clamps to hold them immobile while the epoxy sets.

Finally, the hood brackets CAN completely fall to the ground and you can lose them going down the road. I tied some nylon straps around them and tied the other end to the chassis structure so when they fall off you don't lose them.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Finally, the hood brackets CAN completely fall to the ground and you can lose them going down the road. I tied some nylon straps around them and tied the other end to the chassis structure so when they fall off you don't lose them.
Good idea!
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Why not try something a little more reliable, like some sort of chrome or stainless steel bolt/nut/washer combo, to attach the fibreglass parts to the metal brackets, if there's a chance it will fail again? Carefully drilling some holes, and securing the parts with steel hardware, as opposed to adhesives.
No one will know it's not a factory install if you're careful and a little creative, and you'll know the thing won't come unglued again, and it might even enhance the look of the hood assembly.
Just a thought.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Use 3M 5200 sealant & adhesive . It will take time to set up . But it will not come loose ever again
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I used both epoxy and fasteners because I had concern that there could be flexing stress where the fasteners were at the fiberglass and that over time the fiberglass might start to stress discolor or develop cracking. Wanted the fasteners for backup, mainly.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Went to West Marine and asked which is the better adhesive for my application. The guy there said that the West 610 would be better but he was out of it. He sent me up the street to an Ace hardware where I purchased a tube of it. It's now epoxied and clamped until tomorrow which should give it a good curing time. I'll keep checking it and if I see any looseness whatsoever, I'll put a couple of stainless steel stove bolts through the whole thing.
dach162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Exclamation 2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Hood latch dislodged

I have read a few posts on hood latches being an issue with Winnebago's. Not acceptable. Has any campaign been done back to Winnebago to correct this design problem? Quality for US companies is a requirement and feedback from users is secondary compared to quality department who should have performed life testing. The latch's them self are poor compared to the latches used in the compartments. Most big brands or those who want a quality brand care about improving their design by fixing flaws? Anyway, this really is not acceptable and I hope Winnebago quality/design team is reading and improving.... in the mean time, its a chore to get dealers to schedule repair on this ...so I may go to the alternate mentioned by some folks of another adhesive with solid results...any guidance ..(bolting through is not an option) ...specific on the adhesive and process is greatly appreciated.... :-)
Lette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

One of mine fell off completely while driving on the I8 near Gila Bend in the summer time. Heard a clunk as the hood support banged it's way to the back as I drove over it but didn't notice it until I got home and washed the RV. Took it to the dealer I bought it from and they said the factory would cover the repair with a new adhesive. So they took the other side off, scraped all the old adhesive off and reinstalled them with the new adhesive. I looped some stainless aircraft cable around them and screwed them down to an immovable part of the engine compartment, just in case they do it again.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dach162 View Post
I just went to check the oil before a trip and when closing the hood I noticed that it wouldn't close properly. Grabbing a flashlight and sticking my head into the opening, I noticed that the lower brackets on both sides of the hood have broken away from the adhesive that holds it together. to the fiberglass. It looks like it is some sort of rubber that the metal portion of the bracket in bonded into. Does anyone know what can be used to fix this problem? Possibly Super glue, JB Weld, or even this new UV light glue. It's a 2012 Winnebago Adventurer.
A good and more proper fix is pop rivets. I had the grill fall out on me the the radiator. Put it back together with pop rivets. Been several years now with no problems. Why Winnebago insists on this method is beyond me. It might save them a buck or two not to mount studs in the fiberglass but it is a total pain for us. I almost had a hole in my radiator when the grill hit it.
Happy trails,
Rick
Old 07-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #11
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Thanks for the replies folks!! I elected to use 3m 5200 epoxy as mentioned above..... curing as we speak......I can’t deface the front of this Winnebago...it’s just not in me.... I do like the idea of fiberglassing over the epoxy as a secondary process....and cable ties so I don’t lose the brackets.....and although this may save Winnebago money ...it tarnishes the Brand....the Quality manager has the responsibility to drive to a permanent solution by driving statistics back to management.....design is flawed.......
Lette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have redone 75% of the brackets on my winnebago vista. Gorilla construction adhesive ultimate item #1291396 sold at Lowes. Put plenty of glue on first. Then press part into glue. After it is in place put more glue on top. That will keep it in place where original glue broke off this will secure it better. The first one I did were three years ago and holding up good. I did put a piece of wire on each piece and wired to something so i wouldn't loose anything. I originally lost one of the good brackets.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

One of my brackets was starting to come loose, but not completely. The other one was still firmly attached. I put two 1/4 20 machine screws through each of the brackets with rubber washers on the screw heads. Since the loose one wasn't very loose, I didn't want to pull it off and possibly not get it properly realigned. With the new screws and nylon locknuts, I don't think they are going anywhere. Are they visible? Yes. Are they offensive? I don't think so.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I am one of those who just drilled a few holes and used 6-32 SS flathead screws with lock nuts to replace the epoxy. Didn't bother with new epoxy because, well, it failed once, why bother with it.

The screws have held extremely well without cracking the fiberglass. They are also nearly impossible to see unless you're close up. Used them on both the front and rear of the RV in several places. Everything I've secured with that method is solid after two years in the front and three years for the rear area. I keep thinking I'll dab some paint on the screw heads eventually but still haven't gotten to it. So far the SS screw heads are resisting any weathering.

Here's my 'no ads' articles about it with pictures. Note that if your rear panels or lower front panels haven't come loose? They will, eventually: Body Work

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote