Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Neil, good idea. I made my mind up today to paint the SS screws and dress washers. I think painting them will make them disappear into the side wall, especially as they are at the top.

I'll call CDI and find out who manufacturer's the paint and see what primer they recommend

Also, I am going to add more BoatLife to fill out the joint seal instead of using silcone. Then paint the BoatLife as it is paintable. When I get it done I'll post a photo. Probably take me two weeks with our present schedule.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:20 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Steve for the detailed information. I plan to check mine today for any gaps. I haven't seen any but I haven't looked close. If I do, I'll know how to fix thanks to your post. Great Info.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

The BoatLife people agreed that their Life-Calk polysulfide product would seal the joint and can be painted to blend in. They reminded me that the product is not adhesive. I also talked with CDI about priming the screws. I am not a painter so this may not be important to some folks, but they suggested I go to NAPA, or some auto store that carries automotive paint, and purchase a spray can (it's smaller then and less expensive then a quart) of self etching primer. Spray the paint into a Dixie cup and apply to the screw heads and washers with an artist brush. He said the etching product will assure a strong permanent bond.

Over the long Thanksgiving weekend we rolled 400 miles and the fix held together and produced no cracking. So I just need to add the paint and this little project will finally be completed.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 12-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Finally completed this project.

It took a while to receive the correct touchup paint from CDI. They shipped me two of the same incorrect touchup kits but got it correct the third time. I am not a painter so others may be able to do better. I applied the etching primer; then the touch up paint. The screws blend in very nicely. See photo below.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 01-04-2008, 04:33 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

I think mine is starting to separate.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Tom, I think, you think right..Sorry.
Happy New Year
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote