Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

AC duct cleaning

I'm not sure if I have mold in my ducts on my 2002 Minnie 331C. Has anyone encountered this and if so how did you remediate?
Old 04-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Team

We just felt with some in our home. Bleach water on the exhaust vents did the trick. You can try to see if you can get some Hydrogen Peroxide up into the chase. It‘ll kill mold spores and bacteria.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Thom, I was looking to clean the ceiling ducts. I plan on taking all of the vent covers off then vacuuming as much as I can get to, but the vents nearest the ac unit itself pose a problem in accessing. We noticed on our trip back from Florida this March that we were both having allergy symptoms, no fevers! So my thought was ac and ducts. As the last week in Florida was at or near 90 degrees so ac was on almost constantly.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
We noticed on our trip back from Florida this March that we were both having allergy symptoms, no fevers! So my thought was ac and ducts. As the last week in Florida was at or near 90 degrees so ac was on almost constantly.
How about it just being pollen? I don't know what the pollen is like down in that area, but once I traveled from Seattle to Vancouver BC and was sick almost as soon as I crossed the border. I was there only a couple of days and was better again as soon as I crossed the border into the US. That's too short of time for it to have been a cold, and a very rapid change back to normal, so I assume there was some tree pollen up there I'm allergic to since I am allergic to some tree pollens.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Invest in an ozone generator. Best 200.00 I ever spent.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
I'm not sure if I have mold in my ducts on my 2002 Minnie 331C. Has anyone encountered this and if so how did you remediate?

Easiest and most thorough way to treat for mold is to fog with Concrobium to treat the ducts and everything else in the RV. Mold spores will be in more than just the ducts and will be in the woodwork and all the upholstery including the carpets and fabrics covering the ceiling. The reason I prefer the Concrobium is that its a food grade product so you do not have to clean out your refrigerator or pantry when you fog with it.

Once you have fogged the RV with the AC running on fan only and then turning the heat on to treat that system too just let it dry out without trying to wash anything so the Concrobium can do its job of cracking the mold spores at the cellular level killing them so that they can't come back to life.

Be mindful that the fogger is not for cleaning mold stains but for actually killing the mold spores. They have a separate mold stain remover that works famously. I had the infamous bathroom shower skylight leak leaving me with a black stained fabric ceiling in the bathroom which most would say is a total loss that requires the fabric to be removed and replaced. Not true as Concrobiums Mold Stain Remover applied with a chip brush with no rinsing etc removed the mold stains and restored the fabric to its original white overnight. I just spent about 30 minutes brushing in what fit in a medium plastic cup and by the next morning it was as good as new.

You have to be able to follow directions for these products to work. If its says fog it and leave it until completely dry then do not go through a few hours later and wash or wipe everything down as you will remove the residual that is supposed to kill the mold spores embedded in the surfaces so its best to leave it alone to dry for a few days to a week. The mold stain remover needs to be mixed with warm to hot water so don't try to mix it with cold water and expect good results either.

You should also try to identify the source of the mold. Not using the bathroom vent during hot showers of failing to use the kitchen vent while cooking are two of the most common causes. Shampooing carpets and not putting out fans to dry the area can also contribute to a mold problem as will drying laundry or wet towels inside the RV.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Neil, Sounds like what I thought should be done. Thanks for the response and tips.
JAYIII
Old 04-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks NielV for the Concrobium advice. I am a little familiar with that product and wondered how it would help in the RV. Something to add to my things to do list.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Neil, I see the Concrobium, online, however not in a fogger container like Mold Bomb. Did you buy a LUV fogger to apply? If so, would you share the type and possibly brand?

JAYIII
Old 04-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just had the same issue with my wife waking up coughing in our coach whenever the air conditioner was running. When I got home I removed the vents in the ceiling of the motorhome and used an endoscope (fairly cheap on Amazon) to get a good view of what was going on in the ducts. I was shocked as to all of the left over construction materials that were still inside the ducts. This coach is 9 years old.

I proceeded to vacuum out all of the sawdust, insulation, and crap that was in the ducts and also purchased some better filters for the vents again on Amazon.

Waiting for our next trip in a couple of weeks to test these things out.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 8.52.00 AM.png
Views:	65
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	173377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 8.50.39 AM.png
Views:	58
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	173378  

mikemakay is offline   Reply With Quote