Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

brought rv home to load for daytona house current is 30amp which is going to be same at campground......outside temp is 95 and sunny in so fla set temp inside to 80...........never got cooler than 85 until 7pm...........is this the best it does in hot weather!!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

brought rv home to load for daytona house current is 30amp which is going to be same at campground......outside temp is 95 and sunny in so fla set temp inside to 80...........never got cooler than 85 until 7pm...........is this the best it does in hot weather!!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:17 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

What kind of rig and AC?

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

sorry 06 winn adventurer basement air
Old 07-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Check your vents from AC that go up your rear cap some RVers have found vents pulled apart. Retaped them together.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

checked that duct yesterday..did not see laek but retaped anyway still no help got temp down to 75 during the nite but it is already 82 inside....outside temp is 90 right now...not full sun
Old 07-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Check and see if both A/C compressors are kicking in. Also if you are running in and out and leaving door open this will make it hard to keep cool.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Do you have filters on AC and is the intake free a clear you must have a return air intake in coach that should draw air from inside coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Are you running one or two A/C compressors on 30 amp service. You load management system may be holding on compressor off and it cannot cool that large of a coach on one compressor when it is so hot outside.

Ken
Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

i think winne fixed the vents in 06. how hot was the mh before you pluged it in? the basement air works well but like all ac in mh they will only do so much. check the filter first,go to a hardware store and buy the .99 cent glass filters, you should notice a change in air flow. next turn on the air before the temp inside mh gets to hot and see how it does. and make shure none of the vents are pointing at the wall thermastat. Don
Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

changed filter yesterday...was dusty not blocked....when i look at amp meter it shows 27amps......if i raise thermostat to within one degree of the inside temp is amps drop to 15 and ac keeps running ......therefore i assume im getting both compressors when it calls for a 5 degree drop request
Old 07-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

So I have performed preventative maintenance on two of these basement air units. One on a friend's diesel and mine.
The one in the diesel (only 2.5 years old and 15,00 miles on the coach) was making a rattling noise. We pulled the unit out from under the coach and discovered that the unit was a mess from all the road dirt that a diesel stirs up. The whole bottom pan was full of dirt. The evaporator coil (one that you cant see) was caked up with dirt and it had a bad bearing on the condenser fan. Washed out the unit. The bearing is a support bearing for the fan (pillow block). It is of the design that requires oil periodically. It is a bronze bushing with an oil cap. We replaced it with a sealed bearing from Granger. The design of the return duct is very poor. The unit is a press fit against the return duct with a cheep piece of foam, so it can pull a lot of dust and air from outside due to poor fit. We installed better foam and taped up the return where it attaches to the unit. We will see what the next three years bring.
My unit was running fine, but I still wanted to check and replace those bearings. I pulled my unit last week. The condenser fan bearing was on the way out, glad I checked it now. The unit was fairly clean inside except for the evaporator coil. It had a lot of buildup on it. The design of the return duct on the Adventure 37B is terrible. You have a filter under the bed that you think all the air would return to the unit through. But not on this coach. After pulling the unit, I discovered that the whole underside of the coach is open to the return ducting. Which means, if the compartment door next to the entry door is open, you are pulling in outside air and unfiltered air. So I have sealed off those passages so all air is returned through the filter only. It took some spray foam, foam board and some funny positions to do this. I am sure that this open return under the coach is to help with freeze protection, but in freezing weather the heat pump wont run anyway, Plus the gas heat has it's own return. I also installed better foam tape wher the unit connects to the ductwork and taped up the connections.

My unit was getting up into the 80's during the day. Now it is back to cooling down to 76 in 95 deg weather.

2004 Winnebago Adventure 37B
Charles99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #13

Winnebago's insulation is not the best and your unit is working like it is designed.....You need to pre-cool the unit earlier in the day and leave the fan on high. Shield the big 'ol windshield from the sun (sun shades), install window awnings over the living room windows put those pillows in the roof vents to keep out the heat.

Our 35a with 3 slides is just like yours and the inside cooling is subpar also....we have taken the above steps and now it seems to help alot. I also cut out some reflective bubble insulation and velcroed it under the skylight in the shower and that cut down on the heat coming in from that area.

I have previous posts with temperature readings and the air coming out the vents is a good temperature and I also took temperatures of the walls and ceilings where they meet (that is the weak link in Winnebago's insulation) and posted those in those previous posts. ("basement air" I believe)

Mark
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

With two compressors running he should only be pulling about 20 AMPS.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Stayed at Mesquite ,NV last Fri on the way back home and the afternoon temp was 110. The unit could only cool to about 85 until the sun went down. I think your system is operating normally. Was drawing 27 amps on a 50 amp hookup.
Richard
Old 07-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Our 2004 Meridian's basement A/C does very well. We were in 102 degree heat today and it keep us nice and cool as we drove (no dash air used) using the generator. We do have dual pane glass and perhaps that makes a big difference.

Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvarner:
Stayed at Mesquite ,NV last Fri on the way back home and the afternoon temp was 110. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Reason #1 we leave in the summer

Switching the indoor fan from Auto to On will help maintain an even temp between compressor cycles when outside temps are over 90.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

DancinCampers
We always leave the fan on "high" and on "fan" and not auto so it runs all the time. We were coming back from a trip to Canada and will be leaving tomorrow for our little house near Westcliffe, CO, elevation 7885 (without the MH). It reached 111 here in Pahrump today. Forecast for Mesquite is 112 tomorrow and even higher for Thurs.
Happy Trails
Richard
Old 07-04-2007, 06:41 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

03 ...

I took my rig ('04 Journey) in to have the central air checked ... they measured the temperature differential between the air going in and the air coming out of the ducts ... it was 19 degrees ... which was within specs

So I suggest that you use a thermometer to check the air temp's at the
1) filter and
2) closest cooling vent
the difference between those two temperatures should give you an indication of how well the air conditioner is working ...

We have found that by using the very large fan-fold reflectorized windshield coverings that we can keep a lot of heat out of our rig ... we use them on the window behind our couch, drivers window, and the windshield when we are in hot climates ...

We also try to avoid campsites that face west so that the sun does not shine directly on the windshield during the hottest part of the day(it is not double paned)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 03 CORVETTE:
brought rv home to load for daytona house current is 30amp which is going to be same at campground......outside temp is 95 and sunny in so fla set temp inside to 80...........never got cooler than 85 until 7pm...........is this the best it does in hot weather!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with skigramp, you should use a thermometer to check the air temp from the register. I've checked mine a few times and get a 29 degree difference from the ambient air temperature to the cold air from the register, though I don't think I've checked it yet with 95 degree weather.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote