Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

ABS Light on dash 2005 Voyage 33V

I own a 2005 Winnebago Voyage 33v, was driving when the ABS light came on, had actually just pulled out of drive, been sitting for about 2 months, started periodically but never had ABS come on while idling. Was taking her to be winterized and have a few other things done. Made it there safely although I was very nervous since I know absolutely 0 about mechanical things. If anyone has had this issue and may be able to tell me if it's safe for me to drive her like
this I would appreciate all advice or suggestions. I have been told to take her to an auto shop to have her plugged into computer just concerned I'll have no brakes if I continue to drive her, fairly illiterate when it comes to auto mechanics. Thanks for listening and your knowledge.
tr2scwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi tr2scwjones,
Unless you are driving on ice, snow, or oil & water road surfaces, it will not have a significant safety effect on the brakes.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 11-20-2022, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, guess I better find someone to fix since I'm currently in VA with plans to be in TN by March 2023, both have ice and snow.
Hope it will be a simple inexpensive fix, not a worse case.
SJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When we bought this MH the ABS light came on and stayed on. Keep in mind the ABS feature only replaces gently pumping the brakes on slick roads, nothing else. Whether the light is on or off, your brakes remains good.
Sorry, got sidetracked. I asked a buddy who happens to own his own auto repair center, about the ABS light on.
He told me to use my high pressure washer on straight-stream and clean the back-side of each wheel from the other side of the vehicle.
I asked why and he said stuff can get in the slots of the tone ring on each wheel and cause the sensor to think the wheel is not turning the same as the other wheels.
Well I did as he said, after waiting for my brakes to dry I started the motor and went for a short drive. The ABS light went out, and now only comes on during the startup self-check. It's remained working properly ever since.
It worked for me,and it was free. Your results may vary.

There are other things that will trigger the ABS light, like a faulty sensor, bent tone ring, faulty ABS module, but I like trying the free things first.

This is nothing to cancel your trip over, just remember your brakes will work like other vehicles before ABS was invented.
The NHTSC has published figures showing ABS does not reduce vehicle crashes, supplied by vehicle mfgrs.; but the NHTSC will not allow them to change from ABS being standard to an option on new vehicles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your information. I am truly hoping to make my trip without spending thousands $$$ to be safe. It's actually the last trip for this motorhome, she will be placed on 14 acres and lived in forever. The drive on potentially icy roads will be nerve wracking but from what I'm hearing it won't be impossible. Again thanks
SJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

sitting for 2 months..I would imagine rodents may have been chewing on the wiring or building a cosy nest around the brake caliper
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, dash, voyage