Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2020, 06:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A-Pillar caulking

I noticed during the fall motorhome washing that I have some cracking of the caulk at the top of the A Pillar along the front windshield. I seemed to remember seeing the recommended caulks for different applications. Does anyone know what would be the best/most appropriate caulk for the A Pillar? Thanks!
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
Site Team

We don’t know what RV you have nor the year it was produced. So it is hard to help.

WBGO lists the proper adhesives and sealants on their website by Model and model year.

I recently had a similar A-pillar issue and found a diagram on the WBGO website that showed where different sealants were used on my model and what the part numbers were. Doing a search for the part number on Google I found the right product on Amazon.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It doesn't look like the call out sheet for your rig is much help:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/..._d_sealant.pdf

However, Manus Bond 75 AM is the brand name that cross-references to the most commonly used sealants (185987-03-CHT), including "vertical applications". It's a urethane based sealant available on Amazon and other places.

Maybe creativepart can post what he used.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It doesn't look like the call out sheet for your rig is much help:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/..._d_sealant.pdf

However, Manus Bond 75 AM is the brand name that cross-references to the most commonly used sealants (185987-03-CHT), including "vertical applications". It's a urethane based sealant available on Amazon and other places.

Maybe creativepart can post what he used.
Just as you said, I used - Manus Bond 75 AM:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Z2RH4M

On our last trip we had a day of rain, all day. The next day we started seeing water dripping in the driver's compartment. It was easy to access the inside and I could see water dripping slowly inside.

When we got home I checked where the top of the front cap sweeps back above the drivers Window. There, right at the end of the driver's side drip rail were two 1/16" holes in the caulking. It looked like the caulk had shrunk. It was right at the drip rail. So, rain water would be served up directly into the two small holes.

I removed the caulking from all around that area. And when I went inside and looked back up inside the cap where the water had been coming in I could see light from outside.

I filled the hole really well - until the black caulk was ozzing inside the upper cap area. Then filled in the whole junction with caulking.

After the caulk has had a month to dry I'll paint over it to match the body color with my touch up paints.

I need to check the other side to see if that's opening up there too.

Earlier in the year I had put Eternabond tape all along the front cap/roof joint. But not down the sides because it would look horrible.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Model and year of motor home in question

Sorry guys, did not think to supply the model and year of my motor home. It is a 2006 Sightseer 29R. Thanks for the previous replies, I'll look into that product.
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Skes... we strongly suggest you take a minute to put that info into your Signature here. Then we'll also know what RV you're talking about when you post.

Click on UserCP on the upper menubar.
Click on Edit Signature and enter your RV and year.
Bingo. Done.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks.... signature updated!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Looky there. Good job!!
Old 03-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Just as you said, I used - Manus Bond 75 AM:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Z2RH4M

Earlier in the year I had put Eternabond tape all along the front cap/roof joint. But not down the sides because it would look horrible.
Eternabond across the top of the windshield is a good idea as well. A strip of 1" wide black Eternabond will blend right in with the rubber moulding around your windshield. Doing so completely eliminated my windshield leak. My MH is primarily white (and old) so white Eternabond doesn't look too bad down the sides of the roof cap.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #10
Site Team

I have no leak at the windshield. So, I'm not too concerned about that location.

I strongly suggest folks check their roof seams once a year at least. My RV is only 2 1/2 years old. But it's stored outside in the South Texas sun so, it is subject to checking and cracking. It also looks like it does some thinning... I guess in the wind??
Old 03-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I have no leak at the windshield. So, I'm not too concerned about that location.
From what I've read, I don't think that newer rigs are immune, so keep a close eye on it. Personally, I'd go for an ounce of prevention.