Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

A near-match for ‘17 Vista paint :)

The furnace access door on my Vista was terribly rusty. I tried a couple Napa stores which can create custom spray paint but they said they could not for this application. It has something to do with being Prism paint, whatever that is.

I took the door to Home Depot and found a can of Rustoleum that is pretty close to an exact match. The color is Almond gloss and looks great with the Winnebago Champagne color on my ‘17 Vista. I’ll attach a pic of the finished job when I have the RV here again. For now, here’s the can I bought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5871B3AB-3E86-436A-B180-A79E43D3BCE3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	171557  
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Call a automotive paint store some can match from a sample piece and put it in a spray can I did about $25 for can perfect match
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

After removing all the screws I still cant pull my furnace door off..it seems the pipes behind the door are stuck to it..should I pull a little harder...I dont want to break anything..are there any hidden screws.... I need to remove the the rust also....thanks for the paint tip..just waiting for the rain to quit
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
After removing all the screws I still cant pull my furnace door off..it seems the pipes behind the door are stuck to it..should I pull a little harder...I dont want to break anything..are there any hidden screws.... I need to remove the the rust also....thanks for the paint tip..just waiting for the rain to quit
Yeah, it stumped me too. I mistakenly removed the six screws holding the chrome vent cap on.

The bottom vent has a long tube that slides over a tube on the furnace. After you remove the four screws, pull slightly on the edges to make sure the gasket releases. Then, you can try a little side to side rotation action while you pull straight back.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
Call a automotive paint store some can match from a sample piece and put it in a spray can I did about $25 for can perfect match
I’m happy with the $5 can If it rusts again I’m going to buy a black cover or order one from Winnebago, depending on the price.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

many thanks BirchyBoy..that was exactly what I did the cover came off with a little twisting and pulling and now I can fix the crappy paint job WB did...it's hard to believe but they must have painted over rusty metal judging by the decay . This is on a new RV with only one road trip!. I also trimmed the turned edge with my disc sander about a 1/16th" because it was touching the coach paint causing some scuff marks btw very happy with the paint match..waiting for the paint to dry and will put it back together tomorrow..
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
many thanks BirchyBoy..that was exactly what I did the cover came off with a little twisting and pulling and now I can fix the crappy paint job WB did...it's hard to believe but they must have painted over rusty metal judging by the decay . This is on a new RV with only one road trip!. I also trimmed the turned edge with my disc sander about a 1/16th" because it was touching the coach paint causing some scuff marks btw very happy with the paint match..waiting for the paint to dry and will put it back together tomorrow..
You’re welcome!

Yeah, mine is a couple years old but the cover was really rusty. I had all of the storage door hinges replaced under warranty.

Tags
paint