Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have the 2005 Adventurer 38J with the Weather Pro Awning and just discovered that we have a problem. With one of the slides being on the front patio side Winnie cut awning material short so as to not have the awning come down and rest on the top of the slide out. This leaves the arms of the awning in a partially up position. As I was washing the roof yesterday I relised that with the coach in a level position there was not enough pitch to let the water run over the awning roller and the water would just puddle in the center. Also with the arms not being able to extend all the way it has no kneeling action. Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution?
My thinking is that I would see if I could have the material replaced with a full length because i would rather have it resting on the slide topper then have it rip from puddleing.
Should this be my problem or a Winnebago problem?

1 Wife/Navigator
Lesstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have the 2005 Adventurer 38J with the Weather Pro Awning and just discovered that we have a problem. With one of the slides being on the front patio side Winnie cut awning material short so as to not have the awning come down and rest on the top of the slide out. This leaves the arms of the awning in a partially up position. As I was washing the roof yesterday I relised that with the coach in a level position there was not enough pitch to let the water run over the awning roller and the water would just puddle in the center. Also with the arms not being able to extend all the way it has no kneeling action. Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution?
My thinking is that I would see if I could have the material replaced with a full length because i would rather have it resting on the slide topper then have it rip from puddleing.
Should this be my problem or a Winnebago problem?

1 Wife/Navigator
Old 04-27-2005, 03:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have heard many complaints about awnings(power/manual) and the mfgs. take the stand that that the awning is to provide shade and not rain protection. As a point of interest do you feel that your awning comes down low enough to provide adequate sun/rain protection?

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Captain Bud, It was one of the points we debated when we bought the unit and decided that we could live with a little less space under the awning in order to have the extra room inside with the third slide. I never gave a thought to there not being enough pitch for water runoff.
The awning is advertised as being able to kneel, preventing water build up but without the full arm extension Winnie sure took this feature away.

1 Wife/Navigator
Old 04-27-2005, 04:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think the mfgs (coach and awning) should collaborate a little more and not leave the consumer with a problem. The more I see multiple slides on the curb side I'm thinking the awnings should be sectional and not try to have one huge awning attempt to cover everything. With this design you have a lot more flexibility and a stronger installation IMHO

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I personally would not be happy with the configuration as it is. Like you said, the purpose of that awning is to have the releasing arms to disipate excess water and it should have the proper slope in the awning for normal rain water. Now I agree with Captain Bud that the awning companies wont stand behind a leaking awning. They claim they are for shade. We all know. however, that the perception is that they protect against rain also. It's funny that they give you a hard time if your awning leaks, but yet they design the arms to retract if too much water accumulates. Why don't they just say you must retract you awning if it is raining!!
What does Winnebago say about this set-up? It appears that is where the issue is, and not with the awning company?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just got off the phone with Winnebago and they want me to take it back to the dealer to make sure it is installed properly. The problem is the fact that the awning material is too short for the arms to come all the way down, not the installation.
I just talked to someone at an A&E dealer and the solution is to have the material replaced with the proper length and it will rest slightly on the room cover but if I put the awning in before the room I should be ok. I think this is the route I will take as I don't want to be moving the awning in every time it rains. I think it is just a very poor design that I will have to pay for.

1 Wife/Navigator
Old 04-27-2005, 07:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm still not clear on Winnebago's position. If they want you to have a dealer check the installation of it, is Winnebago saying that it should come all the way out and touch the slide or not? If they do in fact cut the fabric short to keep it off the slide, then what is their position on the fact the slope is wrong and the arms dont operate properly?
Mike
Old 04-27-2005, 07:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Winnebagos position is that the arms should not come all the way down, and no it won't kneel the way it is. The tech I talked to really understood the problem but that there is not much that can be done. By taking it to my dealer his thinking was that maybe we could get the water to run off the sides. I think I'll skip this step and just bite the bullet and buy the new awning.

1 Wife/Navigator
Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Do you know for a fact that if you buy the fabric, that it wont come "too" far and really rest on the slide? Or would you be able to maybe cut alittle off if it does. I presume if it does need trimmed, that you would need to stitch it somehow where you cut it?
I wish someothers that have your model would jump in here and see what they have to say.
Mike
Old 04-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

When we down in the Keys last month we saw a 2005 Winnie with the three slides and the awning was resting on the slide topper but when I went back to speak to the owner they were gone. It looked like it would work.

1 Wife/Navigator
Old 04-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I wish you the best. Please keep us informed of your results. it is important when we have these toics, that we hear what the outcome is. It will help other members.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I understand your situation. The power pro awning has been a problem from the outset. I have read many posts about the awning and have had conversations with Winnie and A&E both.

s stated earlier their position is that it is for sun and not rain. Even if you get the longer material and it kneels or it doesn't and water gathers in the awning and tears the onus is on you. Some have had trouble with the wind sensor and it wouldn't retract A&E replaced my whole sensor and now it does retract.

Long or short material, arms straight or bent, don't leave it open in a rain nor when you will be away from the coach or you will be buying new fabric as they consider this "ACTS of GOD"
Good miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:02 PM   #14

I suggest that you not attempt a repair on your own. I attended the S.W. Regional WIT Rally a couple of weeks ago. This is a problem created by A&E. I'm told that it will be replaced/repaired at A&E expense. It is on my list of "to do" items at the factory next month. If the material is too short (as mine is) the awning can't kneel to allow water run off.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

What Cliff said is interesting. It was my understanding of the situation that Winnebago deliberately shortened the material to make it fit over the slide better. But if, in fact, what happened, was that you got an awning with wrong sized fabric from A&E, then be all means make them fix it!!!!
Mike
Old 04-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I was talking to a Bounder owner the other day who had the same problem. The problem was that the awning was cut/made to start on the side of the rig. When the third slide was installed, the awning was rasied up to a bracket on the roof. Thus the faberic was now 6 inch too short. A&E sent him the longer faberic and now everything works like it should. Water/rain will make the arm dip and the water runs off.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

RV_Boy hit it right on the head!!!

The fabric is too short to allow it to extend to the correct position with the mount moved up on to the curve of the roof.

We had the same problem with our Horizon and A&E sent the correct fabric length to Winnebago when we had it in for some factory work. Our awning now comes down far enough to allow the water to run off.

Do NOT let the dealer think you have to pay for this upgrade.

Cheers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Buck n Jeff
Who paid for the replacement and labor, A&E or the coach company?

1 Wife/Navigator
Old 04-30-2005, 07:44 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Glad I saw this post. I thought my awning didn't look right so a while back I called the dealer and spoke to him. He said what I was seeing was normal. I guess without seeing it himself, he may not have understood what I was trying to explain. My 37B doesn't have a slide under this awning but when it's fully extended the scalloped end piece cannot hang down and water cannot run over the roller arm. This may be why it didn't retract the other day when the winds were gusting at a speed I thought should have automatically retracted the awning.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:57 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Bob, you can test the awning with a hair dryer set on cool. Hold it in front of the wind sensor after moving the control switch forward it should retract. Had my wind sensor replaced cause mine would not retract. Don't know whether the short material will stop it from retracting or not. Good miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote