Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I use a leaf blower. No ladder needed.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Didn't have to test mine - it retracted in the slightest breeze. I'd read here about so many problems with the sensors that I elected to just switch off the auto retract and use it as a labor-free manual system.

It might be convenient if it worked right, but for now, I think I would rather make the decision. After all, how much trouble is it to hold down a button for 10 seconds when I leave the rig or when it gets gusty...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Tomsm, You are absolutely right. It only takes a few seconds to retract it manually. However if it is supposed to retract automatically, then I want mine to do what it is designed to do.
This was the main complaint with the Pro awning that they retracted to soon. My wind sensor was replaced under warranty and it does what it is supposed to do as far as retracting is concerned.
Still haven't seen it "kneel" yet, but I push the button and retract it when I get a heavy rain or leave the coach. It is designed for sun or a light to medium rain, not a downpour so I may never see it work as advertised Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I have to say that I was leaning to not wanting an automatic. This past winter we were in Florida and the lot we rented had our curbside facing east. We really didn't need the awning that much. The lot we bought and moved to on April 1 has curbside facing south - a different ballgame.

I kind of wished we had a manual awning that we could anchor. I also wondered if our wind sensor was working.

Well, in the couple of weeks we spent on the new lot before heading north we found that the Weatherpro worked very well. When the wind did pickup, it retracted. We too prefer to raise it when we are not close by. I've got to say I've now changed my mind and like what I have. I would like to put a sun shade on the front. I called A&E/Dometic and they said I could use the Patty O'Shade but weren't sure if I had to take it off before retracting. Has anyone tried the Patty O'Shade with a WeatherPro. If it rolls up with the awning and that doesn't cause any problems, I will certainly buy one.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Bob, actually, the cause of the scallop not deploying, is caused by an awning that is too LONG. It allows the roller to over rotate, and keeping the scallop from hanging properly.. I slightly retract mine to get it to hang, and also to level the awning to allow it to drain. Mine will still "kneel", have had it do so 3/4 times.. Quite dramatic.. Hopefully the side window on the bedroon slide on my 33V is closed when it "dumps", or its wet pillow time...After replacing nearly every part on my Weather Pro, fabric 3 times, it seems to be working as advertised.. AE has been very cooperative, just a pain in the neck to have to deal with all the trouble its caused... BTW, The "wind gust" must be sustained for several seconds for the auto retract to happen..There are adjustments to the control box dip switches to vary the strength and duration of gust it will allow, but even tho Im a "do it yourselfer", I declined to try to adjust.. The sensor and control box must be replaced together.A very nice feature on the WP is the remote.. If the wind comes up during the nite, no crawling out of bed and wrestling a manual awning up, just hit the button.. Dont even have to put my feet on the floor.. ..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

rgr,
Do you have any info on the settings for those dip switches? Since I've turned off the auto function, I've got nothing to lose by trying. Would like to use it on auto, but don't want to make a bunch of 200 miles round trips to the dealer trying to get it right.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

TOMSM, do a search for LOGTHUMPER on 8/14/04
He had a post about the switch settings. Can't swear they are right , but you may want to give it a try..I'M not smart enough to do a link.Good Luck,,,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

rgr,

"Slightly retract it" Would you believe I was in Maine this weekend, stopped at a Winnebago dealer, and he also suggested I close it a little.

Amazing how one can stare a problem in the face and not see the obvious. I guess in reading about the short awning on the 38J, I didn't even give a thought to mine being too long.

Thank you,
Bob
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

ichn2go,

Thanks - found it! Might as well try it. I think mine worked OK before hurricane Charlie sent my wind sensor to Daytona while the RV stayed in Punta Gorda

Apparently the replacement sensor and control box are the problem. Anyway, our final home repairs (soffits & facias) start tomorrow and then we're full-timing!!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Tom, I dont have the dip switch setting, but an AE tech and I dont recall his name, (was last summer), was very willing to give me the settings, and encouraged me to try.. I was having other issues with the awning, and didn't want to do it, leaving it to my dealer under warrenty.. I think a call will get the settings from them.. FYI, the tech insisted that this awning was a quality item. My selling dealer in Tucson was telling me via phone, that the supplier for the control system had been discontinued, and nothing could be done till a new one was arranged. Telling the AE tech this, he dismissed that as ridiculous, said the original Canadian supplier, was still the supplier, and when properly installed and calibrated, the set up was reliable, and dependable, and that they sold hundreds a week.. I had to wait till I returned to Tucson months later, to have the control unit, wind sensor, and canvas replaced (the original canvas was cut crooked, and caused an uneven retract). I think the uneven retract had previously caused a jammed motor and ruined gearbox, for which I had to find a replacement while on the road, and a shop to replace it.AE shipped me the parts, and Daves RV in Danbury, Ct. did the job, but unnoticed by me left the control box turned off. Later that evening I sat on the step while a Micro Burst Storm approached, watching and waiting for the retract. After 3or4 full vertical billows, and full slam downs, my wife kept saying, will you please retract that thing? I finally did, and somehow the whole thing stayed attached. The next morning I found the switch in the off position...Well, Im sometimes a slow learner..:&gt...rgr..
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote