Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey with the A&E Oasis Elite door awning.

It has both an electric motor and manual crank on it ... it is model 972

Problem: When the awning extends and retracts it "catches" for just a little bit ... that is, it hangs up on the left side for a little bit and then "pops" loose ... then it retracts or extends as it should

Questions:

1) Anyone else having this same problem?

2) How did you you fix it?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey with the A&E Oasis Elite door awning.

It has both an electric motor and manual crank on it ... it is model 972

Problem: When the awning extends and retracts it "catches" for just a little bit ... that is, it hangs up on the left side for a little bit and then "pops" loose ... then it retracts or extends as it should

Questions:

1) Anyone else having this same problem?

2) How did you you fix it?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

skigramp,

This is not exactly what you want to hear but-

I had the same problem with my A&E Elite door awning. One morning it just started sticking. I had to actually reach up and pry it lose so the awning would open. It was catching on a little red tab. Same place as you describe. Then one day it just stopped catching and has not ever hung up again. It was hanging up for well over 6 months. It has been opening fine now for about 5 months.

I have no idea why it started catching and I have no idea why it quite.

Hopefully yours will do the same.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Problem: When the awning extends and retracts it "catches" for just a little bit ... that is, it hangs up on the left side for a little bit and then "pops" loose ... then it retracts or extends as it should

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Skigramp, look at the area where the awning outer edge attaches to the operating arms. Note that there are elongated slots where it attaches. Now, carefully observe how the awning retracts, and where it is in relation to the housing just as it enters the housing. You can adjust the awning fore or aft so that it lines up correctly as it enters the housing.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red T:
Skigramp, look at the area where the awning outer edge attaches to the operating arms. Note that there are elongated slots where it attaches. Now, carefully observe how the awning retracts, and where it is in relation to the housing just as it enters the housing. You can adjust the awning fore or aft so that it lines up correctly as it enters the housing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly! The awning needs to be slid fore or aft. Get an allen wrench and loosen the bracket on the arm ends where it attaches to the coach. Scoot it a little in the right direction and tighten.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Mine developed that issue for awhile. Everything was aligned okay on mine but it was hanging up on the right side red tab, which was sticking. I removed the red tab and sanded off the burrs on it, relubricated it, and reassembled. No more problems since.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Ours was sticking and hubby sprayed arms with lubricant. Wish the fix on our blasted big awning was so easy. Happy Trails
Old 09-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mine did the same and now refuses to open at all. I can't even hear it trying to open.

Is there a fuse or breaker I should be checking for?

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote