Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

84 winniebago trouble starting

HELLO,
Hi since I bought my Winniebago I have had no trouble starting it. Lately when I have parked it for a few weeks and go to start it for a weekend trip. It doesn't start so I keep back up charged battery's to jump the battery. Because it seems as thought the battery is dead from sitting. Any thoughts please advise.
Thank you for your time.
GotiTright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Got It Right,
I would do two things:
  1. Replace your coach battery with a new battery.
  2. Use a maintenance charger to keep your battery in peak condition between trips.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 04-24-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You might want to consider installing a battery disconnect switch. In order to use a maintenance charger, you need to be able to plug it in.

To me, the ideal situation would be to install a solar panel to keep both your house and starting batteries charged and ready to go. The panel/controller would be attached to your house batteries with something like a Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start between the house and starting batteries. The Trik-L-Start/Amp-L-Start will also keep your starting battery charged while you're connected to shore power and is a good idea even if you don't go the solar route.

For simple maintenance charging a relatively small panel, 20w - 50w is adequate and inexpensive, as are smaller capacity controllers (kits with both are available). Just don't expect something this small to do more than maintenance charging.

Here's an example of a kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-12V-Po...9306988&sr=8-3
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote