Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2022, 02:01 PM   #1
Site Team

$72 - Powergear Leveler Tank Cap!

My Adventurer has a Powergear hydraulic leveling setup and every few trips I need to add power steering fluid to the reservoir or the system's Jacks Down warning starts beeping on turns.

The plastic cap on the reservoir is tough to remove for some reason and I almost always have to use pliers on it to get it to pop off.

Over the 5-years I've had the coach this kind of wrenching on the cap has made it start to fall apart. So, it's time to get a new one.

Once I found the part number I found a few places that had it online and ordered it directly from Lippert. To my surprise it was $46 for this little plastic cap! So, I shopped around and found it at the same price everywhere.

Once shipping and tax was added it cost over $70!

One other thing. When using the Winnebago Parts Catalog be careful to inspect the drawing of the parts. When I use my Winnebago's Serial Number to choose the parts catalog for my RV I get a completely wrong Powergear reservoir parts list. To find the correct one I had to use the serial number designation for a newer version of the motorhome. If you're familiar with how the parts catalog works; if your serial number has a W1 in it you click one link and if its W2 you click a different one. Well, my motorhome serial number is W1 but the correct Powergear leveling parts were in the W2 parts catalog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Powergear-Tank-Cap.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	182695  
Old 05-02-2022, 04:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is that cap ventilated? Does is screw on? Does it have a dipstick on the bottom?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Wow, good to know. Mine always has residue on the outside, like the cap may be leaking. I may need a new one, too.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Team

It is ventilated, does not screw on and does not have a dipstick on the bottom.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wow, that cost is hard to explain.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That is ridiculous, don’t let the word Hydraulic deter you this merely is a vented dirt/fill cap use anything that will fit. Any plastic, metal cap drill a vent hole. If you are having to refill often you have a leak. This most often is the cylinder rod seal there may be two outer is a dirt seal, lip out, inside oil seal lip in. Use light oil extend cylinders all the way examine closely wipe down with light oil. Keep watch on each. Good luck.
2lgdterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:27 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Lippert replacement slide parts also absolutely crazy prices - maybe they make most of their money on parts. Especially simple circuit boards.

I also would be tempted to use any cap that fits. It's a cap, right, not that high-tech...

Tags
power, tank