Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
swk
Winnebago Camper

40TD entry door switch panel

I am new here and recently purchased a 2008 Winnebago Tour 40TD. Just inside the entry door there is a switch panel with switches for Porch light, Compartment lights, Compartment locks, etc......
Can any other 40TD owners tell me if the panel lettering should light up like the lettering on the dash or near the radio. They seem to be similar type panels.

The problem is when it is dark you can't see the switch labels and what they control. If they are supposed to light up, where is the bulb or fuse? All the switches work fine. I just can't see them in the dark.
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

No they don't light. I added a strip of leds to light the area connected to the bottom "aisle" light operated by the 2nd light switch down, Porch Light.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
swk
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jerry for the response. Seems Winnebago missed this one for sure. Geezzz after designing RVs for all these years seems like they should know to include features like this. I will be adding a light like you did.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Great idea...put it on my list!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by winne2008 View Post
Thanks Jerry for the response. Seems Winnebago missed this one for sure. Geezzz after designing RVs for all these years seems like they should know to include features like this. I will be adding a light like you did.
Right! It sure is annoying to need a flashlight to see the switches. I believe the new ones are lit. I put the 1' led strip on the door frame facing the switches and it also comes on when unlocking the door from the outside. Works good at night.
Enjoy that TD.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Jerry, that's an excellent solution and I'll be copying your idea soon. My wife
will think I'm a genius! We both hate that those switches aren't lit. However,
I'll miss the challenge of "counting down" the switches to operate lights and
locks at night...
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
swk
Winnebago Camper

Before I install the external LED light strip I am going to determine if I can light the lettering from behind just like the dash lights. Anyone looked into that solution? We are enjoying the 40TD so far.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

winne,
About the only way you'll be able to light them up from behind is if they (Winnebago) actually "cut" the panel with the wording and laid in or over an opaque cover that could be "lit" from behind, thus shinning light through the cuts. I've changed most of my interior lighting to LEDs, including the aisle lights, and the one that's on the opposite door side of that switch panel.

Now, that light is now considerably brighter than the cheap-o festoon bulb that was in there but, not bright enough to light up the switch labels from across the doorway. This is just a suggestion but, if yours are like like mine, in the fact of what switch does what, in the order from the top down, then all you have to do is remember the top two switches. The top one on mine is the "Lounge lights" for lighting up the front end of the coach and, the second switch down is the porch/step/front aisle light/grab handle lights.

Now, this of course is surmising that you don't need to do a lot more than light up the porch area or, the front end of the coach in the dark for entrance or exit.

Now, just in case you do find that it (the panel) was actually set up for interior lighting, you've got a couple of ways to approach this neat little project. One, find an LED light strip at your local auto parts store or, Walmart, (they got all kinds of junk like that in the auto section) or, you could do what I did on the switch lighting on my 145,000 mile Honda Goldwing 1500, and that is, purchase some 3mm LEDs, solder them in series 'till you get at least 6 or 7 in a row and attach them to the back of the switch panel with hot glue. Since there's no heat emanating from those bulbs, the hot glue will work just fine without chance of heating the glue and dislodging the wiring you just did.

Now, just in case you're wondering why the 6 or 7 in a row, LEDs can only operate on about 2-3 Volts DC or they'll burn up. So, you have to add a series of them in a line to be able to accept the 12V power you'll be applying to them.

There's one more suggestion I might make. www.superbrightleds.com has a number of types of LED lights, including very small licence plate lights with LEDs in them that you could mount to the side of that switch panel with a small piece of plastic or aluminum angle and it would only show light on that panel, switches and writing. Just some thoughts here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

With the new idea I have to add led lights at the panel (ha ha ha) thanks to this forum! ... I went to West Marine...or on line if you wish...they have a number of led strips...
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Jerry, Thanks for the great idea! I see an LED strip in our future!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
swk
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will be working on this project in the near future.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
swk
Winnebago Camper

Was able to find some free time this weekend. Problem solved. As suggested I put a strip of LED lights along the corner of the door frame. I installed a switch at the very bottom of the panel to control the lights. I plan to install the LED strips to the underside of the stair treads that will be controlled by the same switch.

Also, once I was able to take the whole switch cluster loose and see behind the panel I was able to see there was no easy way to light the switches from behind. This would have required quite a bit of cutting of the panel.

These pictures were taken at night with no other lights on so you can see how much they help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TowerSwitches1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	17503   Click image for larger version

Name:	TowerSwitches2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	17504  

Tags