Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
RLS
Winnebago Owner

40KD with a Cat C7

Looking for input from owners of 40' Vectra with the C7 Cat engine. I am looking at a 40 KD with the 350 HP Cat. Are you happy with engine? Is this engine big enough for this size coach or should I look for one with the ISC or ISL Cummins? I haven't driven this coach as it is a few hundred miles away from me. Looking for input before I make the trip.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Looking for input from owners of 40' Vectra with the C7 Cat engine. I am looking at a 40 KD with the 350 HP Cat. Are you happy with engine? Is this engine big enough for this size coach or should I look for one with the ISC or ISL Cummins? I haven't driven this coach as it is a few hundred miles away from me. Looking for input before I make the trip.
What year is it and what are you going to use it for? 2 weeks vacation or fulltiming? More power is always hard to beat. Someone with experience with the Cat 350 should soon have an opinion for you.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2006 Ellipse (Tour) 40FD with the C7 and full time. We're always near our 32K lb limit, our tow is 4K lbs, and have been all over the country, mostly in the west without problem. It doesn't exactly rocket up the hills, but it's never failed us, or overheated no matter how long the grade. It will do just fine; the floor plan and build quality are more important than the powerplant, as long as it gets you where you want to go.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi Bob,

I’m with Keith; I wouldn’t have anything but a CAT. I drive very conservatively and do not tow and consistently get over 9 MPG. We’ve had this coach over 10,400 feet on US 64 in N.M. and 10,600 at Sandia Peak in N.M. and sea level in places like Biloxi, Ms. and Corpus Christi, Tx. without a hiccup. I think the power is just fine and have no reason for more. I change the oil every 11,000 miles and I did the original valve adjustment on it. So far, the only filters I’ve replaced are the oil and air filters. The fuel filters are still original (I use only Flying J diesel) as are the belts. I would recommend you make sure you have the latest and greatest software flashed into the engine computer. Just take it to any CAT dealer to have it checked. Also have them change some of the settings to your preferences (see other threads on programming the CAT C7).

I am planning to break down and let Wagner CAT here in Albuquerque do the 100,000 mile valve adjust, but only because I can’t physically do the work any more. I have made many improvements to this coach and almost everything is now completely automatic.

Note also that we have almost 900 lbs. of motorcycles hanging off the rear of the coach, which brings the rear axle weight right up to the 20,000 lb. federal limit with about 11,000 lbs. on the front. There was no difference in drivability before or after I designed and made the bike mounts.

So my vote is in favor of the CAT!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #5
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Keith and Mr Transistor, That is the input I am looking for thank you.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I truly wish I could report all the great results with my cat. I have the 330 C7 and on a good day I get 6.5 MPG. I drive conservatively (about 62), tow either the 32k or 41k pounds. My milage is computed via TripTec. I drive over the Rockies, desert and am presently in Florida. The only good news is that the milage doesn't change much. I have 43k miles on the Cat. Ring Power (Cat house) has checked it out and said it's just fine (same with my local Cat house in So. CA). When I asked Ring Power to kick the HP up they said to "leave it alone as it would further reduce the power due to the more stringent EPA guidelines."
The folks at Cat tell me that the C7 had to be detuned to meet the EPA stuff. The 3126 (earlier version) is one I would be happy to trade for.
Don't misunderstand: The Cat is basically a great engine, never over heated and will take me anywhere.
I guess in the end these folks could all be blowing smoke at me and just want me to go away.
Next time I won't buy a Cat as they no longer make them for over the road vehicles, thanks in part to our wonderful EPA folks.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Cliff Z, That sounds like what I have heard about the 04 C7s. Poor mileage. The 05 and 06 are some what better. I have read that there is a software upgrade to improve mileage and performance. Might try calling the Cat RV hot line with your engine serial numberand see what they say. I have a 3126E in my current coach and have great luck with it. Get between 8.5-9.5 depending on where I am driveing and what I am towing.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

RLS, I'll check that out. It was about eight months ago that it was at the Cat house for analysis. Won't hurt to check it out again.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hi Cliff,

We currently have software version ‘2725312 Production update for emissions margin improvement for VER 3.59.3’. If you have never had the software updated, then you are probably up to 9 versions behind the curve with ‘2457558 Update with 4.5 injectors for ACERT C7 highway truck, VER 3.53’. That is what was in our coach when we got it new. Issues, issues, issues. Finally, all solved with this newer software. There may be even newer versions out there that I’m not aware of but since I have no complaints with the engines drivability, peak power, or fuel economy now, I’ve had no reason to check back into it.

Additionally, this same 7.2 litter engine in a marine version can put out 455 hp at 2800 RPM. If we only had all that water for cooling. Except for the EPA we could all have hot rods.

For Bob & Cliff,

As I said in the first reply, you need to familiarize yourself with all the user programmable options like; Soft Cruise (important to MPG), PM1 Interval, PM1 Reset, Vehicle Speed Input (to calibrate your speedometer spot on), Customer Password, Quick Stop Rate, Coolant Temperature Derate, Exhaust Brake Configuration (very important to drivability), Idle Shutdown Timer, Fan with Engine Retarder in High Mode, Low Idle Engine RPM, Top Engine Limiting, Idle/PTO Bump RPM, Engine Retarder Minimum Vehicle Speed, etc., etc., etc. All of which can be changed to improve drivability. Unfortunately, the default settings of most of these items are far from optimum! Ideally, you would have the CAT Pocket Tech that allows you to view and change most all of these settings. Play around with them to come up with the best functioning for your driving style. Unfortunately, CAT doesn’t sell this product any more (but I have one with the cables for both the C7 and 3126). I don’t know what may be available from CAT or other venders now, that would take the place of Pocket Tech.

Bear in mind that we set the cruse on 60 and I accelerate very slowly and coast to most stops. I always said that after I’m retired, the wind will determine which direction we drive. The difference, even at 60, between a 20 MPH headwind versus a 20 MPH tailwind works out to be a reduction of at least 4 MPG (air speed of 40 MPH versus 80 MPH) or >10 MPG versus <6 MPG. A little math quickly tells us that the net effect of the wind is to reduce our MPG. That’s why I always want a tail wind!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

MrTransistor, thanks for that great information. I'll check into this at my earliest opportunity.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We had a 07 35' Journey with a C7 350, pulling a 4500 lb toad. We noticed minor impact on steep grades, but never a problem with overheating. We drive about 65 mph and got about 8.3 mpg with about 28,000 miles. CAT told us the engine will not get its best MPG until at lease 35,000, due to breakin. The CAT was great. You are correct that CAT is out of the over-the-road engine business becasue of the EPA requirements. We currently have a 425 HP Cummins and it is also a great engine. One of the main differencers I notice is with all of the new anti-pollution equipment, as required, the Cummins runs warmer and the temperature is not as stable as it was on the CAT. It does not overheat, just runs warmer.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I run a C7 350 in a 2005 Vectra 40FD. It's been a solid engine. Gets about 7.5 MPG pulling a Ford Explorer and have never had an overheat problem with the side radiator. It's not a great hill climber but it will easily take you over the top. I've got 29,000 miles on it and am headed to FL shortly getting a little cold in the Northeast
Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #13
RLS
Winnebago Owner

A big thank you to all who have posted. Unfortunately the unit sold before I could get up to see it. At least I will not be concerned about a 350HP C7 coach if I find another one.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
A big thank you to all who have posted. Unfortunately the unit sold before I could get up to see it. At least I will not be concerned about a 350HP C7 coach if I find another one.

Was it by chance the one that Lichtsinn had on their lot?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Yes Gary that was the one.
Bob
Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I saw that right as they put it on their website. DW and I really liked what we saw and they seemed to have it priced fairly. DW and I discussed how we might could swing it and I almost called them but decided to stay put for now.

I had a feeling they would sell it quickly.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Gary, I had gone so far as to contact the previous owner and find out what shape the unit was in. Sounded good to me, he had just put a new set of tires on it. I had been working with a salesperson at Lichtsinn and we were going to drive up and check it out next week. Oh well. Last month we went up to Rockford, IL where you bought your coach and looked at a 06' 39K. I didn't like how it drove. I have mixed feeling about trading as I have done quite a few upgrades to my coach, and it runs perfect but we are looking for a larger unit. We are in no rush so we will keep looking.