Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

$4.46 ac fix

was working in the RV today and the basement coleman AC was cool, but not cool enough. I remembered reading on this forum about checking the amps to see if the 2nd compresser was kicking in and it wasn't. so I am thinking I have a bad start capaciter. opened the electric cover on the ac to test it and found a wire had burned in two. went to NAPA and bought some high temp wire and connecters and now both compressers run and I am cool again. my only worry is why did the wire break the first time.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
RKL
Winnebago Owner

$4.46 AC fix

You probably picked up some low voltage at a park perestal somewhere...This would explain overheating a wire to the compressor or start selonoid....I found the same thing on mine when the 2nd compressor wouldn't start....corrected it the same way....RKL
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Great find by both of you!! I have seen a number of damaged connectors but none that broke into two pieces. Sever have been hot and even looked burnt but were still functioning. I did read about someone that upgraded all the wires to a heavier gauge wire because he felt they were all too thin for the loads being carried. The low voltage makes a lot of sense. I lost two capacitors (in different years) because I was in an area with low voltage during very hot days. Thanks for sharing. This should help others with the same problem.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am not sure how long it has been like that. if it was low voltage it should not happen again. last winter I installed a surgegard that protects from high and low voltage.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I love to hear of inexpensive repairs!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Could be worse.. For the 3rd time in six years, 2nd time in 2 weeks, we lost power to half our coach yesterday, Six years ago I took it in under warranty and they said "We could not find the problem" Yesterday I opened the Marine-co INLET and tightened the screw. I'll have to "Shorten" the wire an inch when weather is better for sitting w/o power.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Could be worse.. For the 3rd time in six years, 2nd time in 2 weeks, we lost power to half our coach yesterday, Six years ago I took it in under warranty and they said "We could not find the problem" Yesterday I opened the Marine-co INLET and tightened the screw. I'll have to "Shorten" the wire an inch when weather is better for sitting w/o power.
when you shorten the wire try putting no-ox on the conection.