Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

3m Film Removal

I am about to take on the task of removing the 3m film on the front of my coach and was wondering if there is anyone out there that has experienced it? I am specifically interested in what you used to remove the left over glue once the film was removed? I have been researching and I have seen where people have used goo gone. Will that hurt the paint? I have full body paint. I did see there is an outfit in FL that will sell you their product (Ugly Juice) but it is pricey. Anyone with experience with Ugly Juice? WD40?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442 (1).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	170240  
Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

Good Luck with that. I did an Itasca Suncruiser we had and it was a bear to get off. Goo Gone and WD40 worked somewhat but it took a lot of elbow grease and plastic putty knives
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi
Last year I took on the task to remove the 3M mask........it was a labor of love.... took my time used the following supplies....heat gun (2 range heat) plastic razor blades, plastic putty knife, mineral spirit was the solvent of choice. I tried a bunch of other solvents, but always kept coming back to mineral spirits. I guess the " slow and easy" is the phrase I would describe the removal....sometime you go pretty good, and than you hit a slow patch.

Added thought....I did not use one, but I wonder if I could have used some sort of hot steamer, it would work better?...........
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We removed ours about two years ago. Going to echo corjaguar as to process, materials and time. Throughout, there was no shortage of solicited and unsolicited opinions as to a better way. We tried anything they brought over, but kept coming back to mineral spirits and heat gun. (Changed to low VOC waterbased after spilling the old style mineral spirits into a hot heat gun. You, of course, will not do that.) Old CD's broken into pieces are cheap and effective scrapers.

You are likely to get some travel time in during the process. The snake-shedding-its-skin look is a great conversation opener.

After we got it off, we had a local guy prep the front cap and paint/clearcoat. Chose not to replace 3M. The cost x life vs shooting the front cap just doesn't make sense. For us.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal