Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago mentions using "303" Protectant on slide seals. I used to see this product at auto parts stores but my two local stores do not carry it any more. Is the product referred to by Winnebago the "303 Aerospace Protectant" shown on the 303 website? Anybody found a substitute? It looks like I will have to order it from an internet source.

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago mentions using "303" Protectant on slide seals. I used to see this product at auto parts stores but my two local stores do not carry it any more. Is the product referred to by Winnebago the "303 Aerospace Protectant" shown on the 303 website? Anybody found a substitute? It looks like I will have to order it from an internet source.

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

303 is great stuff. I have used it for years. Usually I buy it at Camping World.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have used it for years. You can also get it at West Marine or most boating stores. Great stuff but very pricey.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We use it on anything rubber (like tires). We've also used it to clean our rubber roof. We've found it at Camping World and other RV centers.

You might try using 303 Product's Where to Buy page to see if there is a retailer in your area. If you can't find it locally, you can order it online. There are all kinds of places where it can be ordered...just Google "303 aerospace protectant." We usually buy it by the gallon.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #6

That's a great link, Linda. It tells you exactly where you can buy it.

We've found it at several chain auto parts stores (like Schucks and Checker), boating supply stores, and of course, Camping World too. Our local Ace hardware even carries it.

edit: Yes, Rich, it is the Aerospace Protectant. It's great stuff to use on the tire sidewall too as it is supposed to have great UV protectant properties.

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=pr...splay&Product_ID=428

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hey Linda, thanks for the link. I need some as we speak and did not know it was available at Checker and Ace, both of which I have close.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I was surfing another site where they mentioned using baby power on the slide out seals. While that was the first time I had heard of it, there were responses from others who do the same.

I tried Dry Slide when we first got our TT but preferred 303 Aerospace Protectant and continue to use it.

Mike.
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Have used it for several yrs. after I read in FMA that Fleetwood said to use it on there slide seals.
Dont know if it is the 303 or just father time, BUT my seal have tracked IN and some of the slide
seals will not flip OUT. At this time I have maybe 50% that are twisted (going in both direction)

I had water intrusion one time in a BR slide that I contributed to this. Could the 303 have made
the seal TOO plyable, slick????TENN..
Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Just a question about using the baby powder on the rubber slide seals. What happens when it rains? Does the baby powder clump?
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amanda_h: It's great stuff to use on the tire sidewall too as it is supposed to have great UV protectant properties. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about anyone else, or about this specific product, but Michelin specifically says DO NOT use any sort of protectant on their tires.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

According to Michelin there are recommended products for their tires, I saw the list at Freightliner in Gaffney. Although 303 is not on their list I have used it for quite awhile on both tires and rims, does a great job. Anywhere you have a rubber compound on the coach it does a great job. I use it on the slide seals as well as the rubber gaskets around the storage bay doors. It also works well on the exteriors of the coach.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I use 303 and have for years, great on tires, wall slides, compart doors seals, and if you have diamond shield on your coach. As to baby powder, we just had new side walls put on our coach so they replaced all of the slide out seals with new ones, they come covered in powder and 3 washes later powder is still on and what happens is you get white marks down your paint, it comes off, but looks bad. If packed in powder (what type I have no clue) is that so they do not stick or preserve?

05 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304
BigRigRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The baby powder just stays there long enough to coat the rubber and room sides and there is not enough to lump up. I use a ketchup squeeze bottle and it works great.

I also use 303 on all rubber tires, seals and even around the compartments. Its great stuff and I just order it off the internet and don't have to go store to store looking for it.

Often times the web sites says a store carried it and you get there and they have never heard of it. The internet is easier and it comes right to my door. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

HWH says do not use any spray on the slide gaskets that contain oil. Very, very few sprays don't use some kind of petroleum product. There is a link on our RV page of our web site for my HWH notes including a specific 3M spray that is recommended.

I have 303 and do occasionally use it on tires, but that's about it.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Winnebago advised me to use corn starch on my slide seals. Have for 6 years now and have had no problem. Water and rain do not affect it, as only a fine coating sticks to the seals. It has washed off, just re-apply, to dry surface.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Anyone know whether lithium spray is OK (recommended or not by mfgs) for slide seals?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim&MaryJo:
Anyone know whether lithium spray is OK (recommended or not by mfgs) for slide seals? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If it contains petroleum, no!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Originally posted by Jim&MaryJo:
Anyone know whether lithium spray is OK (recommended or not by mfgs) for slide seals?

If it contains petroleum, no! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does 303 Aerospace Protectant contain petroleum products??

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LVJ58:
Does 303 Aerospace Protectant contain petroleum products?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If it isn't obvious from the ingredients, spray it on a piece of glass and let it dry. The rule-of-thumb (according to Paul Smith of HWH) is if there is a visible film left behind, then it contains petroleum.