Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Was reading about how 3t can solve many handling problems. I normally am very suspect of after market fixes. I would like for my Meridian to handle better. Last time across Kansas and Oklahoma it was a white kuckle afair. Would like to hear any input.
Cheers Bob

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Was reading about how 3t can solve many handling problems. I normally am very suspect of after market fixes. I would like for my Meridian to handle better. Last time across Kansas and Oklahoma it was a white kuckle afair. Would like to hear any input.
Cheers Bob

Old 02-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There are several forum members who have had the 3-T's upgrades on their Freightliner chassis. I am considering the 2 upgrades, but it's quite a haul for me to get to Lake Havasu.

Based on my research this is about the only uprades to a Freightliner chassis available, which helps handling.

Do a search on '3-T's' and you will find some info.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I am a big fan of 3Ts products. I have both the front steering kit and rear anti-sway on our Meridian. Our coach handles very easy, there is little if any sway or struggle to keep the coach tracking straight. The improvement over stock Freightliner was immediately noticeable. After our installation, a couple years ago, we left Lake Havasu AZ and were met my a high winds and snow in the desert. The road test was tough and the coach handled great. Their product is manufactured on site at 3Ts. Give them a call, Tina runs the office and John is in the shop. They will answer any questions you have. Tell them hello for me. If I can help send me a PM.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We too have had a 3-T upgrade to the Freightliner chassis. Paul Smith and his folks have done an excellent job in improving the handling. Mine was done on a 2000 Horizon (forrunner for the Meridian). If you are not aware of it, Paul and Barbara Smith have been doing research for Winnebago - taking models on road tests for several months and making recommendations for improvements, both in handling and in adjustments to interiors.

Robb & Sue
and Duncan the Dalmation
2003 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40K
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I will add my endorsement to the others. I had my rig done there last fall. The improvement was instantly noticeable. Normally I treat all modifications to chassis components to improve handling, like snake oil, in this case it really does work. I think the most improvement is on the shorter chassis, in my case 34 feet. It's not cheep, but the two mods perform as advertised. I've sent neighbors there and you know if they were not satisfied, I would hear about it.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just returned as well, had ours installed this last Friday. I did not think our coach handled exceptionally bad, but the mods do make an improvement. On our way back from Havasu we encountered 51mph gusting winds through the Barstow area. It was still an exciting ride, but having had pretty exciting rides in much less wind prior to the upgrades, I would have to say they performed well since we're still alive... Anyway, I wouldn't say it's night and day, but it does make the drive a bit more comfortable, and the upgrades certainly cut down on the violent rock you get through some cross gutters, etc... without the upgrade. Hope this helps.
Alan
Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We liked the improvement the 2 kits made to our coach. To bad we are trading it in on a Vectra, come on over and take the kit off our rig!

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the feedback. Would like to hear fron as many as possible.
Cheers Bob

Old 02-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Alan -- congrats on the upgrades to your 'beautiful' coach. I'm jealous.

JimandSue -- let's swap components when we're down in FL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
Alan -- congrats on the upgrades to your 'beautiful' coach. I'm jealous.

JimandSue -- let's swap components when we're down in FL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

let's swap parts sounds like work for me! Come up with a viable plan and I will think about it.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Yea, I know. I hate that 4-letter word!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bobwallace:
Cheers Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Overall, I've been pleased with the handling of my rig. I believe the best improvement came from the Goodyear G670 tires and close attention to inflation based on my actual weight.

That said, I've added a Safe-T-Steer steering damper and I'm in the process of replacing the OEM Bilstein shocks with Koni's. We experienced some strong winds on our trip out West last year and I never felt like I was in a wrestling match.

If Blue Ox will ever re-release their Tru Center adjustable steering damper, I would highly recommend that. I had one before their recall last year and it was a great addition. The Safe-T-Steer was my second choice when I could not wait longer for the new Tru Center.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

bobwallace,

Late last summer, we did a cross country trip from Orange Park Florida to Forest City IA, then Montana and California. On the way back, we stopped at 3-T's to get both the Anti Rock and the Handling Package installed on our 2005 Meridian. I cannot say enough good things about their products. I could literally feel the difference as I drove out of their parking lot. We returned to Florida, and ride was so much better than our trip out west. It is no longer a "white-knuckle" experience when 18 wheelers go past. I highly recommend the products. I can say it was the best $1000 I've spent, lately.

The folks at 3-T's really treat you right and know their business. They can provide 30 Amp electrical for overnight stays, and are an authorized Winnebago Service point and can work on other things while you are there. I had the heavy duty springs added to the rear levelers. The were replacing carpeting in an Ultimate while we were there. If you go, tell Sue we recommended then to you! Tell them you are a WIT member for a discount.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote