Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2022, 07:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2020 winny Vita 24P slide issues

My 2020 Vita 24P slide jammed up on the second camping attempt. I had used the slide on 3 previous times since purchasing it new. I lubed the tracks (which were clean) the last time I extended the slide. This time after leveling the motorhome, then lowering the stabilizers, I started the engine, set the parking brake, and had my wife press the swicth to slide the assembly out as it moved outward a few unpleasant noises were heard so she let go of the switch. We looked around and found that the front of the slide had moved outward about 10", but the rear of the slide had not moves and was still fully "closed" against the body. I tried using the switch to close the slide but nothing happened- no noise, no movement, no motor sounds. We tried push the froward portion of the slide-no help...completely stuck. Now, we could not drive the RV and could not camp with the slide crooked. We called La Mesa no help. We called roadside
and after 3 1/2 hours an RV tech arrived and told me the rear motor was bad
and that it would need parts to be ordered. I have the disconnect the motors so we could manually close the slideout, and drove home "unhappy campers".
The mobile tech said this was very common even with new RV's like mine (I have 2880 miles and only 1 prior camping session on this vehicle- garage kept and not abused. Now I am looking forward to a trip to my dealer and hoping I do not get the runaround.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck slide (2).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	183887   Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck slide (3).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	183888  

Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I guess I should have rotated the photos huh?
Old 08-21-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It appears that our 31D has the same slide system as your RV. We've had trouble twice with the rubber seals getting caught on the teeth and jamming things up. Once you get your motor replaced, it's a good idea for one of you to watch the slide from the outside as you extend and retract and make sure the seal isn't caught on the teeth as the slide moves. We carry 2 way radios which we use while setting up. I'm considering trimming 1/4 inch of the seal off where it meets the track (teeth) to reduce the odds of future jam ups.

We live 2 hours N of Forest City and have Winnebago service the unit. I guess that won't work from Florida. :(

It is frustrating, all I can say is in the end, you'll remember the good more than the bad once you get back on the road again.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info and suggestions. When I take this in to the dealer, i will ask for their thoughts on why it happened. The seal trimming is probably a good idea regardless. I am hopeful that my extended warranty will cover the repair cost.
Old 08-21-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

A small point that may not be involved atthe moment but needs to be clear for the long term?

The two small motors at the ends of the slide do not always turn at exactly the same speed as mechanical things are NEVER exactly the same. That means onewill often work somewhat slowerthan the other but they know this and have built in a system to "floating heads" where the gear meets the long metal track.

If it is what I'm used to using, it is standard practice to always run the slide fully in or out and then leave the button pressedfor just acouple seconds past where it stops. This can be hard to do if we are concerned with burning the motors out due to holding them too long, but it is the recommended way to let the slower of the two catch up and "sycn" with the fast one.

Running in or out, hold the button a bit longer than it looks like needed! I doubt it is the current cause but for future use, perhaps?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Vita 24P

Please join our Vita group on Facebook we have lots of experience with these Vita Issues.
We are located at Vita/Porto Wannabees. This group is great, but we only have Vita/Porto which are identical. Couple have had slide issues.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Slide failure on Vita 24P (continued)

Thanks to all thus far. I enlisted the services of a local mobile repair tech in my home town. He has diagnosed and ordered slide motors which that thankfully are covered under my extended warranty ($765.oo EACH for the parts only). To be installed in the coming week. Hopefully will resolve the issue. I am disappointed in the motor quality considering they slide have only been used 3 times previously before the failure.
I have included a photo of the motor locations with the trim mldgs removed for others who may have this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR MOTOR W TRIM REMOVED.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	184032   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRONT MOTOR WITH TRIM REMOVED.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	184033  

Old 09-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It really doesn't sound like a good plan to say that both motors have failed at the same time! I would have to ask what test shows him they are both bad.
It actually sounds like a case of guessing rather than testing, so I do hope it works out okay.
It has all the signs of a tech who replaces the most expensive items first and if that doesn't work, he may have to get down to thinking!
Some think of RV as rolling money pits!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Slide motor saga

It is a case of who do you trust.
When it broke down inside a campround a few weeks ago, an emergency roadservice tech was sent out and he said it had at least one bad motor but they did not have parts to repair it. My reservation at the campground expired the next day, so I had him manually retract it so I could drive back home.

This is the second tech to diagnose it, so I guess I have to go with the flow. I asked the current repair person to please look beyond the apparent symptoms, for possible "contributing factors" to prevent a repeat episode of slide failure later. The vehicle has 3,054 miles and has been used a total of 3 times for camping. Slide has been successfully extended 4 times but only retracted 3.

In recent years, I have become a skeptic in these matters...trying to resist that attitude now, but will wait and see how it behaves after the motor(s) are replaced. Wish me "luck".
Old 09-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well both motors changed out by local Mobile Repair service. No obvious cause of failure. Slide is functional for now at least. Time will tell. Camping in about 2 weeks. We shall see if problem is resolved then I guess. I retained old motors and will examine when I get time.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Well both motors changed out by local Mobile Repair service. No obvious cause of failure. Slide is functional for now at least. Time will tell. Camping in about 2 weeks. We shall see if problem is resolved then I guess. I retained old motors and will examine when I get time.
how does it hold up after the repair?
wilsonzhang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide