Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2022, 04:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2020 micro minnie 2108DS grey valve stuck open

I have a 2020 micro minnie 2108DS.
My black and grey dump handles are side by side
through my frame. The handles both operate their valves by cable or rod. My black works properly but my grey was always stiff to open or close. Now, finally the grey will not go into the closed position leaving me with an open grey line..
Can I get pictures or a schematic of what my model's make up
would look like?
I figure I will have to cut the under belly fabric to make the repair or modification. I hope to be able to seal the under belly back to good functioning order.

Thank You....Steve
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:45 AM   #2
2019 Sightseer 33C

Just guessing, is there a cable from the handle to where the valve is? And is that something like the brake cable on a bicycle? If so, then the sheath of the cable might have come loose from the clamp and that will make it act like operating the handle is doing nothing at all.
jc_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I think what your describing is partly the case.
I have put enough force on the handle to close that I think further manhandling of handle will only make bigger problems.
I can't see any other way than cutting underbelly and going to work to straiten out or repair the sheaths rods or cables your describing.
I hope I can get a schematic and or pictures from Winnebago or someone so that I can cut in the right location the first time.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Broken black valve cable

Hi I am working on black valve cable. It was not closing all the way so I was trying to work it in and out and it suddenly went slack no resistance. After cutting a hole in black underbelly discovered black outer housing came loose. Removed black gate valve because screws are on top side. Gate valve is 3 years old and soaked in water and dawn works perfectly so I ordered cable and hope to install. Thinking back should have filled tank with some soap and water opened gate with cap on to clean and lubricate gate valve. Opening and closing dry must have been to much resistant for cable. Also adding gate valve at cap for surprise leaks
matt2645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your info.. I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out.
As I write this Winnebago sent a schematic and underbelly entry and repair
notes to me. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Matt,
If you have a 2108ds and took a picture or two where you made your cut to enter that would be helpful.
Winnebago's schematics are mostly useless for my situation.
If not ..I will enter in where it looks appropriate.

Thank You....Steve
Old 06-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Gray water valve stuck open

I have the same problem with my 2529RG. Drained both tanks, gray T handle could not be closed. You Tubes show fix is pretty simple once you open up the belly covering.
Once repair is made, would be smart to fab. an inspection cover for the next time.
Gigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Note that we don't get the good info on trailers that we can often find on motorized, leaving us somewhat blind for good drawings!

Just guessing here?
Are you familiar with adjusting the brakes, etc on bikes? The wire sliding in a tube thing?
That is often pretty much like the wire sliding in a tube on the valves. That can often mean there is a clamp which holds the outer cover and if the clamp comes loose the whole thing moves instead of the wire inside the cover.

I'm guessing the issue is finding and reattaching the clamp so the wire moves in/ out like intended!
Sorry for guessing but the best I have!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Morich and Gigman.
I think shortening and or re supporting and lubing the cable assemblies should
put us back in order.
Erin from towable cust support sent one drawing that looks to be
my drain plumbing.
She told me just like we read in here that they have used cables that are too long in some instances.
I hope to be under the camper this week and get started.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Taken any pictures?
Gigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I hope to start on it this mon or tue.
If I can get good detailed pictures and can figure out how to upload to the forum I will be glad to do so.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Have you lubed the cables/rods? Have you used any valve lube in the tanks?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We also have a 2108DS and had the same problem with both the grey and black tank valves. The dealer replied both under warranty.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:41 PM   #14
blubugger

Micro Minnie 2108ds Gray Water Valve stuck open

We have a 2018 2106ds, and hopefully the attached photo might be at least close to what you have in your 2108ds. Hope this helps a bit! Good Luck!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCF4BD8C-3248-4270-BD99-31F947DDFA85.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	183394  
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We purchased a 2019 2306BHS new off the lot as RV newbies. We had only one issue the first few months which was a sticky grey valve that got worse over time and eventually got completely stuck. I changed the valve myself since there was a three month wait to get service. After a lot of research which included picking a RV tech's brain, I cut the underbelly and successfully replaced the valve. I learned these important things from this:.
-Don't leave the grey or black valve open. Only open them when you are dumping the tanks.
-Be careful what goes down the drains of the sinks, especially if you happen to leave the valve open. Fine particles can settle in the groove that the valve slides in and out of to seal the tank. Our problem was our fondness for French press style coffee that produces a fine silt that settles in that groove and can eventually make the valve sticky and then completely stuck.
-Use 4" Gorilla tape to reseal the underbelly. Make sure you clean the material thoroughly with a final wipe with isopropyl alcohol. Be careful to allow lots of overlap with at least 6" on either side of the cut. Use a heatgun to carefully heat the tape to increase the adhesion.
-Invest in an external twist on waste valve.
arbogajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We purchased a 2019 2306BHS new off the lot as RV newbies. We had only one issue the first few months which was a sticky grey valve that got worse over time and eventually got completely stuck. I changed the valve myself since there was a three month wait to get service. After a lot of research which included picking a RV tech's brain, I cut the underbelly and successfully replaced the valve. I learned these important things from this:.
-Don't leave the grey or black valve open. Only open them when you are dumping the tanks.
-Be careful what goes down the drains of the sinks, especially if you happen to leave the valve open. Fine particles can settle in the groove that the valve slides in and out of to seal the tank. Our problem was our fondness for French press style coffee that produces a fine silt that settles in that groove and can eventually make the valve sticky and then completely stuck.
-Use 4" Gorilla tape to reseal the underbelly. Make sure you clean the material thoroughly with a final wipe with isopropyl alcohol. Be careful to allow lots of overlap with at least 6" on either side of the cut. Use a heatgun to carefully heat the tape to increase the adhesion.
-Invest in an external twist on waste valve.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbogajim View Post
We purchased a 2019 2306BHS new off the lot as RV newbies. We had only one issue the first few months which was a sticky grey valve that got worse over time and eventually got completely stuck.
I'm just about in your shoes. I had a hell of a time closing my grey valve on our last trip, but thankfully I was able to get it closed. I do have a twist on extra valve already just in case. Looking like I'll have to change the valve in the near future. Can you tell me the part# you bought?
rstraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Cable repair

Hi the cable for the gray is 6 foot long and the distance from valve to handle about 2 foot. You could try to backfill with black closed and cap on fill line with soap and water let sit and then try to move valve. The weakness point is the cable it is threaded to handle and set screw on other end this hold plastic outer shell from moving metal cable moves the gate valve. The plastic outer shell is will strip out if too much pressure is applied. The valve must be removed to replace cable many utube videos on subject
Good luck
Old 06-30-2022, 07:08 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Black tank

Pix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220623_094321944.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	183395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220623_094156916.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	526.2 KB
ID:	183396  

Old 06-30-2022, 08:00 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstraz View Post
I'm just about in your shoes. I had a hell of a time closing my grey valve on our last trip, but thankfully I was able to get it closed. I do have a twist on extra valve already just in case. Looking like I'll have to change the valve in the near future. Can you tell me the part# you bought?
I removed the valve, cable and took it to the nearest RV supply store. I do not remember the brand or part number. They had the same exact matching part. I do not remember the cable being too long. My RV tech friend had told me that it is important to position the valve and cable so the cable curves gracefully from the frame to the valve. It has worked without issue since.