Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2018 2108 Color Fade Correction

I wanted to put this out on the forums, because I had seen the topic while trying to find a fix. The ol "My color has faded".
I bought mine used this year (2020) and within 6 months the sun really beat it up. I had a good amount of pink going on.

I ended up trying the Max's RV Heavy Cut Oxidation Remover, and then the Max's RV One-Step Ceramic polish & sealant. I also got the porta cable intro kit with the yellow, orange, and white pads (I only ended up using the yellow and orange). I'd say I probably sunk 10 hours and $200 into it for my first buffer detail job. Some one experienced can probably do a bunch better.

Here's a set of photos to example how bad it was and where I got it to. The next question will be "for how long", but I'll be covering it from now on any way.
https://app.photobucket.com/u/kosmob...5-ea5a71d610fa

an in progress photo:

end result:

Hope this helps another person wondering if that fade is fixable!
Kosmoburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Kosmo,
That amount of fading really reminds me of fiberglass boats from the 1960s, when manufacturers used to use red gelcoat on the top surfaces of the boat. For some reason, the red pigment would fade-out, so now you pretty much just see white used for the top surfaces. Colors used on the sides would also fade, but not as quickly.
In the South Bend Boat Shop, when fiberglassing over wood, the only color Polyester gelcoat they recommend is Robert's Gray (recently renamed to Tacoma Gray.) When used on top of fiberglass made with Polyester resin, even white Polyester gelcoat can chalk. For some reason, only the Robert's Gray holds-up well.
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I bet! My micro being a fiberglass built item I'm sure is exactly why it behaves that way.

Thanks for the welcome!
Kosmoburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Just bought a 2016 2201 DS in the Platinum colour, same issue, Rest of the trailer looks brand new....I think I have some heavy duty polishing ahead of me....
chrishBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #5
2018 2108DS

We have a 2108 2018 also, it’s completely faded. WB should be embarrassed their product is out there looking like trash. The list of issues we have had is a mile long on this clunker. Never again.
Andy_XY is offline   Reply With Quote