Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question 2017 Suncruiser 38Q Ceiling repair

Hi All, I'm a pretty handy guy but could use some help with my fire damaged ceiling. Some of the Styrofoam block in the kitchen area is partly melted so there is nothing to glue a new panel onto. The metal strip between panels doesn't seem to have any support to screw into. Who can share how the roof/ceiling is put together so I can order the pieces to fix mine? Thanks, Larry
Missileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Carve the melted foam out with a vibrating multitool, glue in new foam, and glue the new ceiling to that.

Just because is was made one way, doesn't mean that you have to duplicate it. I had to invent some stuff to fix our defective entry door.

Or, cut your ceiling patch to fit, hold it in place with some jack ploes made of 2x2 or tape it or something, and then squirt the cavity with Great Stuff or another canned insulating foam.

Post some pics so we can see what you are dealing with .
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That's pretty much what I was thinking but wanted to see if there was a better way. Not sure how the original roof was created. Parts list shows total of 15 blocks for a 38' coach. If the blocks are glued to the fiberglass roof I'm good to try this idea when if warms up a bit.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Can you buy a new foam section from WBGO? They must come in sections... right?
Old 03-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I suggest building a grid of wood to place under the area repaired before starting to replace things as working overhead and adhesive is a slow thing, even if the product says "quick". I can't see using quick things like contact cement as I have to adjust things which doesn't work with contact, even if they are quick!
Depending on the size of damage, perhaps a 2X4 frame with strand board to make it solid and then propped with 2X2. Depending on what is on hand, one can use little bottle jacks to get it up, good and tight or shimming can be made to work if enough hands are around to hold the props, frame, and still adjust the height.
One point to avoid is pressing too hard so that the outside roof is distorted!
The biggest repair I"ve done was old enough that it works better to peel the aluminum back from the outside. What a trek! But with the outside fully opened, I was able to add insulation and adhesive from the top and let it run down, rather than fighting to keep it up. Not gonna work with a fiberglass roof.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileguy View Post
Not sure how the original roof was created..

You can take down the interior part of a ceiling vent, or better, go up on the roof and pull the fridge vent (if you have one, and see a cross section of the roof sandwich.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The sections of foam are available from Winnebago but the freight cost is crazy.
I will get some photos when the sun returns...its really dark inside from sooty walls.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Winnebago will send you pdf copies of the prints of the roof. Should have more details that looking at the parts diagrams.

And if you haven't found these videos, they are worth a watch for a look at what's in the roof.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Cool

Thank you for the video link, but I don't have a laminated roof. It's a one piece fiberglass skin with 15 shaped Styrofoam blocks with formed hollows for wiring, A/C Heatpump air distribution ducts and LED lights. I will post some pics as soon as the weather brightens up...gloom predicted as March exits like a Lion

Tags
ceiling, repair, suncruiser