Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014 wallpaper peeling

In the past month of our search for a used motorhome, we looked at a 2014 Winnebago and a 2014 Itasca. In both of them the wallpaper was peeling off around the front passenger side window among other places. It seemed odd to me that both units we looked at were peeling in the same way in the same general area. In the 20+ years with our travel trailers we never experienced this type of problem. The dealer claimed it was due to condensation and not a leak, but I saw a forum post that it can be caused by excessive heat? In any case, I was skeptical when the dealer claimed it can just be glued back down. Is this a common problem for the 2014 units? Anybody have experience with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210220-WA0003.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	177446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210220-WA0002.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	177447  

Steve Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We have 2016 Winnebago Vista lx that is doing the same thing in the same areas you mentioned also above slide outs and in bedroom. We lived in Florida so heat may have been an issue. We had talked about gluing the paper which I did in the bedroom corner using wallpaper adhesive and it worked ok as this area the paper was still smooth. However however in other areas like what you mentioned was buckled that we may not be able to get all wrinkles out when gluing. Called to see about getting replacement paper to put up and was told that you would have to buy the 4x8 board as paper is mounted to the wall board. My solution which I’m still working is take the paper off wall put Kilz on wall board and paint. Starting in bathroom since this is smallest area paper has come off relatively easy which leads me to believe adhesive used to attach paper to board when manufactured was used sparingly as some areas was an easy peel and other places had to work harder getting paper off. Haven’t done the painting yet weather has to improve and then I’ll try painting.
ozarkgrammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have this challenge in our Journey. We've had a number of campfire discussions with others struggling with peeling wallpaper. Seems to stretch and wrinkle around openings and cabinets. Don't know, as opposed to guess, specific causes. But our wallpaper removes easily with applied heat (hair dryer)

We have been successful repairing.

Referring to your pics, we use a heat gun/hair dryer on the affected area and gently pull the wallpaper away from the wall. Then we use a little travel iron to press the wallpaper back in place and smooth out wrinkles. CAREFUL WITH HEAT SETTING, the "paper" on ours is vinyl.

Where the original adhesive refuses to respond to heat activation, we use a brush to apply a light coat of wood glue (Elmer's, Titebond, etc) on both wall paper and wall. Allow to dry (5 - 10 min). Now Iron the wallpaper back in place, ironing out the wrinkles. The wood glue will melt and bond. I use the same process making veneer repairs on furniture.

If moisture/condensation is a concern, most modern wood glues (alphatic resin) are water resistant when dry.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote