Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2022, 07:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Meridian 36M AWNING ISSUE

So, our awning has wind sensors and has been working perfectly. Yesterday it retracted on it's own. But, the wind wasn't blowing. I put it back out, it did the final positioning and stopped. Then, within 10 seconds it started retracting again. I tried turning off the wind sensor switch, it still wouldn't stay out. The only way it would stay out is by turning off the "awning power" switch. Has anyone had this happen? And, what was the fix? All help appreciated!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Not sure which awning you have, I have the Carefree. When replacing the fabric two years ago after a sudden AZ gust ripped it right in two, the technician said my control wire was looking pretty bad. It runs along a little channel in the arm out to the motor head.

The wire did look pretty bad, he said it can cause the motor to act erratically or not at all if it really crumbles. I wrapped it in aluminum tape to protect from further sun damage, so far so good. But eventually I will need to replace it.

I believe it is a standard wire bundle, easy to replace. You might check it out. Hopefully an easy fix, and not a controller or controller issue.

When replacing the motor head three years ago, (65mph side gusts while driving in Utah bent the gear housing), I moved the wind sensor from old to new motor head. A little black box, sensing the up and down movement of the head. Not tough to do.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've often thought I would like one of those electric awnings, but I keep reading posts where they can be troublesome.
I've got the good old, (in my opinion only), manual type. Just replaced the awning fabric in it this year, and I can deploy it when needed, but never leave it out when we leave the campsite or at night, just in case.
It never refuses to stay out, and doesn't deploy by itself, nope never had the wind deploy it while driving either, I make sure it is locked and sometimes if super windy like out in Wyoming, Arizona, west texas, new mexico I might even put ties around the support arms just for insurance.
Reminds me, gotta put the new awning fabric on the living room slide if we ever get above freezing for a couple of days and I don't have a funeral to attend, just rambling, but that's what happens at 78 LOL
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
Not sure which awning you have, I have the Carefree. When replacing the fabric two years ago after a sudden AZ gust ripped it right in two, the technician said my control wire was looking pretty bad. It runs along a little channel in the arm out to the motor head.

The wire did look pretty bad, he said it can cause the motor to act erratically or not at all if it really crumbles. I wrapped it in aluminum tape to protect from further sun damage, so far so good. But eventually I will need to replace it.

I believe it is a standard wire bundle, easy to replace. You might check it out. Hopefully an easy fix, and not a controller or controller issue.

When replacing the motor head three years ago, (65mph side gusts while driving in Utah bent the gear housing), I moved the wind sensor from old to new motor head. A little black box, sensing the up and down movement of the head. Not tough to do.
Sorry, I always seem to forget something. Yes, it's a Carefree. I'll inspect the wiring as you suggest. I hope it's not a controller either. Thank you for you hands on input! 😉
Old 02-12-2022, 03:54 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Mine will automatically come in if the battery in the arm is dead. The 12v sensor inside “checks” to see of it is getting a response from the awning arm, and if it doesn’t, mine will come it as a safety protocol.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Mine will automatically come in if the battery in the arm is dead. The 12v sensor inside “checks” to see of it is getting a response from the awning arm, and if it doesn’t, mine will come it as a safety protocol.
Hmmm... I didn't read anything about a battery in the arm. Thanks, I'll look deeper into that.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

for ChaffeeKid, if you are looking for fabric for your toppers, you might check out 'Tough tops' in Vancouver WA. They make some great ones, shipped right to you, customized to your size, variety of colors, much better than the OEM stuff. And they stand by their warranty.

Also have great video on how to do it. I replaced all of mine, by myself, and I am over 70. Would be much easier with 2 doing the install however.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hey thanks winne wise. Yes I have ordered and received the fabric, now if we can get a few days above freezing I’ll get’er done.

Where is that video located I’m always open to learning something. Yep soon to be 78 here.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Hmmm... I didn't read anything about a battery in the arm. Thanks, I'll look deeper into that.
My battery in the arm goes out every five months or so, depending on how much I leave the awning out, and the switch on.

It gives me a high pitched beep when the battery is getting low. Took me forever to locate what that beeping was when it happened.

So I’m out in our driveway right before going to bed and I hear this intermittent beep. I can’t for the life of me figure out what’s doing it.

Then a cop sees me crawling around under the RV trying go locate it and stops to ask what I’m up to. He and I spend about ten minutes and neither of us could locate the source. It sounded like it was everywhere yet nowhere that could be pinpointed.

I’d check that battery first, or last, as it’s kind a pain to replace…
Old 02-14-2022, 09:21 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

No battery in my awning wind sensor, just the control wires and power from the coach.

The tough top videos for fabric installation are right on their web site.

https://www.toughtopawnings.com/page...bric-duplicate
Old 02-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
No battery in my awning wind sensor, just the control wires and power from the coach.

The tough top videos for fabric installation are right on their web site.

https://www.toughtopawnings.com/page...bric-duplicate
I probably should have clarified, that mine was an aftermarket install using Bluetooth technology to allow the control unit to talk to the arm sensor, instead of wires.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The “wind sensor” is not a wind sensor it’s a Barometer, I noticed it doesn’t work well so I turned it off. Put the awning away before I leave.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:45 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

In my 2010 Carefree awning, the wind sensor is sort of like a pinball tilt sensor. It senses the up and down motion of the motor housing on the forward end of the awning roller.

Three settings are available on the control panel, high, med, low. And it works very well. I usually leave it in the medium setting. But if it is going to be especially gusty, I leave the awning in.

Tags
awning