Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy 2013 Adventurer 35P Chassis Battery Location

I've checked the wiring diagrams which show the chassis battery under the entrance step alongside two coach batteries. But actually I have four 6 volt batteries wired in series/parallel - coach batteries. Can't find the chassis battery. I've opened up the front hood and also taken off the doghouse cover but haven't been able to find it/them. I have crawled underneath and haven't found it in any obvious place. We're getting ready for an urgent trip as things are starting to open up a bit up here in Canada. When I checked the level in the coach batteries, they were all down to the top of the cells so I topped them up and figured I might as well check the chassis battery while I'm at it. Two hours later, I still haven't found it. Any ideas?
Jade East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I assume you bought it used? I also assume the coach battery configuration isn't Winnebago standard factory installed, per the OM?
Can you contact the vendor/seller and ask them?
Is there a chance whoever modified the coach battery configuration, is using all or a pair of the coach batteries as a starting/chassis battery, as well as part of the coach set up?
Have you looked under the galley or in any other interior cabinets or cupboards close to the entry door? Possibly under the sink if it's close to the entry door?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Doubt it will help, but on my 2017 Adventurer 37F the Chassis battery is under the 2nd step in the entry doorway. The House batteries (4-12v) are located on the drivers side of the coach in the basement compartment directly in front of the wet bay compartment.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Does it have one? Might have just installed 4 deep cycle batteries and connected the engine to them?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I did buy it used. The four six volt batteries are very neatly wired - so was done very well whether at the factory or afterwards. I have looked everywhere for something that looks like a battery. I tried turning off the chassis battery switch and it did kill the power to start the coach but that doesn't really prove much except the switch works as it could be wired into the circuit anywhere. I'll look again in each compartment. The house batteries are under the second step of the entry. I'll look at the bay in front of the wet compartment. thx for the responses so far. Not sure if there are any 35P owners who have encountered this before?
Old 05-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Site Team

I have a 35P but it was wired from the factory with the chassis battery and 2 house batteries under the second entrance step. I think Winterbagoal is right that it was modified by the previous owner.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well now you got me thinking maybe it has been modified and the chassis batteries have been replaced by the two extra deep cycle batteries. If that's the case, is there any risk/challenges ahead starting the engine with deep cycle rv batteries?
Old 05-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Got any pictures?

Old 05-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

How do I post a picture? I tried to insert one and was asked for a URL. Ugh...
Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Coach Batteries

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coach Batteries.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	173448
Old 05-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Interesting.
I see the ground side of the two 6 volts pairs tied together. But just cables hooked to the positive terminals. Not tied together. All of the cable ends seem to be unique, even the ones to the shunt. Hard to say where they go.

There's two screw holes just to the right of the shunt where there was a stud that the positive cable for the chassis battery went. I think that would be in your wiring diagrams.

You said the chassis battery disconnect keeps the engine from starting. What if you disconnect the positives from the six volt batteries? Any chassis power then?

Might also be interesting to look at the solenoids above the batteries. See if wiring is rearranged there. My mom bought a motorhome where someone bypassed the isolation solenoid (by putting both cables on one side) so that both banks just worked together. Like could be happening in yours. Maybe.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Tderonne - you are right, the negatives are tied together on the two pairs of 6 volt batteries that are hooked in series. The positives are also. On a further look I see on the one positive post a bit of a bus bar with two main cables coming off - one to the one side of the shunt and the other cable disappears below somewhere - I'm guessing off to the engine starter. Tomorrow I'll lift this cable off and see if its the engine cable.
I would like to know this because if ever I can't start the engine because the battery is dead, I want to know where to jump start it. Now I'm wondering what kind of load that would be on some vehicle to jump start this array of batteries and if that could damage the charging circuit of the jump vehicle. It would also appear that if I lose the chassis battery power, I would also have lost the coach power as they are tied together. I do have an onboard generator but it needs battery power to start and I do have solar panels. All "what if" stuff but I think it is nice to know in advance what I'm dealing with.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

A single bank would work. Would be nice to have a backup though, as you're thinking.

If you pulling a few cables and it still starts, you're back looking for a battery, but at least you'll know there is one to find. An AGM battery could be almost anywhere, if that's what they used.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I pulled one of the big positives off the little bus bar mounted to the top of one of the battery posts (the one that I thought would go to the starter). I then went and tried to start the engine and it started....darn. I then pulled the other positive cable off so both were off and tried again and the engine started. I put the cables back on the way they were and one of my knowledgable neighbors came over and he wanted to just pull off the negatives (safer) to see for himself. Same result - engine still started. So back to the drawing board. We've climbed under to located the starter and tried to trace the cable back but it disappears into the frame. Ironically when I looked at the pre-purchase inspection from last year, there was a note on the workorder that the chassis battery was replaced. So its there somewhere and needs to be somewhat accessible.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I finally found it! In one of the bays between the generator and the coach batteries, there is a mini compressor, the water pump and a smooth plastic lid about 14" x 10" and 2" deep. When I took the screws out of the lid, I could open it up and sure enough there was a counter sunk battery box that went down another 10" and there was the chassis battery. So now I know and I do like the idea of separate coach and chassis batteries. Thanx for all the tips and hints.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Somewhere the previous owner is having a bit of a chuckle.

Good you found it! On to the next item on your to do list.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Finding the battery.....

I saw this too late to help but.....start at your starter solenoid and follow the heavy wire.
I'm guessing not too many people have this issue

Tags
adventurer, battery, cat, chassis, vent