Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

2012 42E FW Slide issue

Yesterday I was extending my full wall slide. When it was about halfway out, it hesitated, I heard a "pop" sound from the center of the slide, and it continued to extend with no apparent problem. I went outside and looked at the center support arm and mount and could see nothing wrong. We're in the middle of a Monsoon here in Western Washington so I don't want to try to move it again until the rain stops.
Has anyone had this happen and is it something to be concerned about?
Just as a info thing, the end cap for the spar----for lack of a better word---that runs the length of the slide, caught on something and pooped off. It looked as tho the screws that hold it hadn't been tightened properly. Might be something that others should check.
After having the slide mechanism fail on the slide behind the driver's seat and now the stuff going on with the FWS, I'm gonna get really good at crossing my fingers when I'm pushing buttons!
Old 09-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Finhawk,
Is it possible you did not have the "lock" totally released at the top?? If it was not all the way in the unlock position, it may have caught the slide on the way out?? Or, was the pop from the bottom of the slide?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If I am correct you are talking of the 'shoe' that runs the full length of the slide. It glides on the floor as the slide moves. The two 'screws' are 1/4" bolts with nylon stop nuts.

I had a part of this break on mine, located at the drivers seat end. We caught ours before the slide was all the way out. The picture is of the broken part sitting on the carpet.

If this is what has happened to you be careful when you bring the slide in. The bolts will drag on the floor and damage it. I brought the side in enough to keep it tipped and to see the shoe bolts. I pried the vinyl backer of the carpet up to locate the bolt holes. My wife applied pressure on a wonderbar for me as I placed a 7/16th in wrench on the head of the bolt and used a socket wrench to remove the nut. I then placed a fender washer over the bolt, put the nut back on and snugged it all together. Do this as needed and check the other end of the shoe for problems. We did but not as bad. Just the white cover material came off.

We have had no more trouble. The slide is working fine now with no more signs of trouble from the shoe. By chance was the pop you heard from this piece breaking off?

I hope I have helped.

Rick
Old 09-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Finhawk,
Is it possible you did not have the "lock" totally released at the top?? If it was not all the way in the unlock position, it may have caught the slide on the way out?? Or, was the pop from the bottom of the slide?
The "Pop" was on the bottom
Old 09-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If I am correct you are talking of the 'shoe' that runs the full length of the slide. It glides on the floor as the slide moves. The two 'screws' are 1/4" bolts with nylon stop nuts.

I had a part of this break on mine, located at the drivers seat end. We caught ours before the slide was all the way out. The picture is of the broken part sitting on the carpet.

If this is what has happened to you be careful when you bring the slide in. The bolts will drag on the floor and damage it. I brought the side in enough to keep it tipped and to see the shoe bolts. I pried the vinyl backer of the carpet up to locate the bolt holes. My wife applied pressure on a wonderbar for me as I placed a 7/16th in wrench on the head of the bolt and used a socket wrench to remove the nut. I then placed a fender washer over the bolt, put the nut back on and snugged it all together. Do this as needed and check the other end of the shoe for problems. We did but not as bad. Just the white cover material came off.

We have had no more trouble. The slide is working fine now with no more signs of trouble from the shoe. By chance was the pop you heard from this piece breaking off?

I hope I have helped.

Rick
The plastic end cap is the part that broke off but on the back wall end of the slide. It was destroyed. I got a piece of plastic, since the slide was already out, and put it under the end to keep it from messing up the carpet.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

It is called a Slideout, Floor Tube CAP. Part Number 165178-03-CHT Mine didn't break but it came loose. Replacing the broken plastic will not be the problem; the real problem is what caused it. In my situation, they had to replace the rollers under the slide. It seems the steel rollers are covered with rubber. The rubber had separated from the steel and the slide had "dropped down" a small amount but enough to catch the plastic. In my case I have tile in the bedroom, so it would still work but would leave black marks on the tile. They had to tilt the slide out (but not remove it) in order to get under the slide to replace the rollers. No more black marks. I had mine fixed at Forest City. Sure sorry to hear you are having a problem.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
It is called a Slideout, Floor Tube CAP. Part Number 165178-03-CHT Mine didn't break but it came loose. Replacing the broken plastic will not be the problem; the real problem is what caused it. In my situation, they had to replace the rollers under the slide. It seems the steel rollers are covered with rubber. The rubber had separated from the steel and the slide had "dropped down" a small amount but enough to catch the plastic. In my case I have tile in the bedroom, so it would still work but would leave black marks on the tile. They had to tilt the slide out (but not remove it) in order to get under the slide to replace the rollers. No more black marks. I had mine fixed at Forest City. Sure sorry to hear you are having a problem.
Winnibago took care of it as a Good Will repair. I have no black marks on the floor so maybe that's good. When the rain lets up next week, I'll pull the slide in enough to get it to tilt and see if I can find out what the problem might be
When that cap came off, it sounded like a .22 cal going off and ended up in the middle of the floor. The right side of it was bent at a 45 degree angle
Old 09-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I do not have a full slide on my Journey but one large enough to have 2 motor drives (Power Gear) plus a "passive" support arm in the Center. The Center roller arm support bolts fractured on both sides on the passive support. You might want to check closely to see if that has happened to yours. It would make a cracking sound when the bolt(s) fracture. The slide still moved in and out albeit with a loud rumble that Winnebago initially told me was "normal". I suspect it might be a chronic problem as Winn repaired it very quickly.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I checked those bolts. They appear to be fine. There's no abnormal noise when extending or retracting the slide. I pulled the slide in enough to look under it and checked the solid plastic rollers. They are good and hitting the edge of the floor at the same time. I just wonder if there is supposed to be any lub put on that support bar where it goes thru the mount.
Maybe it was just a burp,,,, I hope!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Finhawk,
I am not talking about the whilte rollers (which used to be black). I am talking about the big steel rollers below them. I don't think you can see them unless you either remove the slide, or tilt it to almost 45 degrees (refrigerator and all). At least that's how they described it to me.
It could have been a burp if something caused it to be "out of sync" on the left and right motors. I am not familiar with how it resets itself, or keeps in sync, but if one pulled just slightly ahead of the other, the CAP could have caught on body and popped off (with a bang.)

Tags
slide