Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2011 Itasca Meridian 40U roof delamination

We have only been in this motorhome for about 3 months. I was on the roof today and found a good size buckle across the roof just forward of the center A/C unit. I can't find anything in the owners manual that this is covered by Winnebagos delamination warranty. Does anyone know? I don't like the potential prospects at the moment. Any suggestions???
Old 08-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Picture of roof

I just took some pictures. This seems to be the best one of the problem areas. I found in the brochure that it is covered for 10 years. I'll know Tuesday when I call Forest City. Are any of you folks having delamination problems with winnebago products?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I believe the roof material is covered, BUT not the labor.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mine says a 10 year warranty on the roof. All it says is that the roof has to be maintained---washed once in a while.
Don't remember reading anything about labor not being covered. It does say that the manufacturer will pay reaasonable labor costs. Wonder what will happen since you bought it used?It will be interesting to see what happens in your situation
Old 08-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think it is only 10 years to the original purchaser. By maintenance they mean checking the caulking, especially roof to side wall.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I think it is only 10 years to the original purchaser. By maintenance they mean checking the caulking, especially roof to side wall.
This is a quote from the warranty page on mine----
To preserve the rights given under this warranty,the origional purchaser is obligated to properly maintain the panels, including regular washing with a mild soap and water.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you don't maintain the roof to sidewall caulking, the fiberglass may rip off in the wind and Winnebago won't cover it. I know of three incidents personally and there are several reported on line.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
If you don't maintain the roof to sidewall caulking, the fiberglass may rip off in the wind and Winnebago won't cover it. I know of three incidents personally and there are several reported on line.
I'm not arguing that at all. I had a problem with the caulk on my 2008 Voyage so I'm fully aware of the need to check it annually. You have made a darn good point.
The only thing I'm saying is what the requirement is as far as the roof panel manufacturer is concerned.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

From the OPs Meridian Operators Manual, page 11-1

"Always have damage to the roof area repaired immediately. Damaged or detached sealant
around the vents, air conditioner, body-to-roof
seams, etc., should also receive immediate
attention. Delaying these repairs may allow water
leakage and result in damage to interior ceiling
and body panels, upholstery, etc., which is not
covered by the limited warranty (see Introduction
section)"
Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
From the OPs Meridian Operators Manual, page 11-1

"Always have damage to the roof area repaired immediately. Damaged or detached sealant
around the vents, air conditioner, body-to-roof
seams, etc., should also receive immediate
attention. Delaying these repairs may allow water
leakage and result in damage to interior ceiling
and body panels, upholstery, etc., which is not
covered by the limited warranty (see Introduction
section)"
Are we arguing now? I assume that you have a fiberglass roof too?
Again, I quoted from the roof manufacturer's warranty info page. Winnibago has other requirements. Put them both together and sail off into the Sunset as a happy camper!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Not arguing. Just saying that washing isn't the key to maintaining warranty, probably is immaterial, but maintaining caulking and checking is.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

And your point is well taken. Why don't you read what the roof guys have to say about the warranty requirements and then we'll end this "one upmanship" conversation
Old 09-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

My original post was not intended to provoke a debate. But we guys seem to enjoy this. I have had the coach for about 3 months. I don't recall seeing the bubble when up there last and I know I would have responded to it immediately if I had.

Winnebago is specific about maintaining the caulking on the rig. I had an issue with a failed roof gutter caulking on my last coach. A dealer in WA sealed the gutter against my wishes and the rain water was trapped. When we got to TX the heat caused the sidewall to delaminate because the water could not evaporate and I think it may have even gone to steam. It was 115 degs that summer. The coach was in the shop for a bedroom slide leak that they never addressed. Both issues were addressed and fixed by the factory. The side wall was never completely corrected.

Now about this coach. It has been raining since I discovered this problem. Today is not looking promising at this point. I want to look at the AC seal to make certain it is seated correctly on the roof and then caulk the seams. I have noticed that the trim along the side of the coach over the doors is breaking down and needs to be caulked. Also, the window frame sealant looks a bit rattie. I will use some paint thinner and a plastic painters knife to clean this up. I have did this on my other coach and it looks so much better and does no harm.

I plan on calling the factory tomorrow about the roof. I hope I can get an appointment before the snow flies. Once I am there I hope they will honor the 10 year warrantee.

Thank to everyone for your input. This is a great place to meet don't ya think?

Rick
Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Update: Just went up on the roof to look at the AC gaskets. They are as they should be. The bubble looks like a manufactures defect because it is so narrow and rises sharply. I don't know how I missed this. Let's see what Winnebago does for me. I'll keep you posted. I do hope their service is a s good as it has been in the past.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Good Luck, Rick. Yep, debates are fun but sometimes a bit frustrating!
Bruce
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Are you sure this is delamination? Many Winnies have multiple ridges across the width of the roof. I believe this is due to the roofs construction, and the fact that the luan sheets are only 4 ft wide. That is if the issue is across the width of the coach.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Thank for the thoughts, forest. Winnebago industries prides themselves in one piece construction of a fiberglass sheet for all of their skin. I have never seen a seam on the roof a winne product, but I haven't been on that many. This ridge almost looks like the manufacturing process pushed the roof material up. On reexamining this I find that the width is too small to be delamination. There is simply nowhere for the excess material to go. But, I am only the owner. Let's see what the builder says. I'll keep you all posted as things progress. I'll call the factory around 10 AM this morning.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I just viewed a Monaco on irv2 with a picture posted that looks exactly like mine. This seems to NOT be a problem for Monaco owners. I wish other Winne owners would weigh in who have experienced this same issue. I am rethinking may panic attack mode. Do I really need to go the factory with this 'problem'?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I just viewed a Monaco on irv2 with a picture posted that looks exactly like mine. This seems to NOT be a problem for Monaco owners. I wish other Winne owners would weigh in who have experienced this same issue. I am rethinking may panic attack mode. Do I really need to go the factory with this 'problem'?
We are still waiting for an answer after having our roof ridge evaluated (and your description sounds very similar to ours.)

We are in Texas now but reported the issue a while back while in Florida so we don't have an answer yet.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
We are still waiting for an answer after having our roof ridge evaluated (and your description sounds very similar to ours.)

We are in Texas now but reported the issue a while back while in Florida so we don't have an answer yet.
Does yours look like this? The service advisor at Winnebago said that it is most likely not a problem of great concern. If it is not cracked or leaking simply keep an eye on it. Mine is solid for most of the bump. One of the posts mentioned the under sheathing curling. I didn't think Winne use it but I was wrong. And the 10 year warranty on the roof is to the first buyer only. I never understood that concept. What does who owns a manufacturing defect have to do with who pays for the fix? Good way to shed responsibility.

Are you experiencing any triple digit heat? How are the AC units doing?

Hope you get an affordable answer with your roof.

Rick

Tags
itasca, roof