Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2010 Winnebagos

When I ask mechanics about quality products they said Winnebago. Being a machinist for oil refineries for 37 years before retiring I'm embarrassed for Winnebago industrializes, if this is what they consider a quality product. Nothing is assembled correctly with this new Sightseer 33C. I understand that every new motor home will have defects but the number and type of problems we've found so far is beyond acceptable. First we bought the New Motor home right off Winnebago's lot. On our way home to New Jersey from forest City Iowa, we found water under the buffet where there is no water lines. Being on the road i decided i had to do something to get us home so I took the floor up from under the sink and found the drain had not been connected and all our dish water has poured under the buffet. Next the rug in front of the bedroom closets was wet, hence, the tubing for the hot water heater had not been tightened. The water connections to the fresh water pump not tight, the rear TV wired incorrectly, the side marker lights not connected, the outside entertainment 12 volt outlet not connected, the entertainment center not connected to the outside wall!!! This is QUALITY???
archtop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I hear you...not the same issues but I have them with my new 2010 Winnebago View 24A...a few minor annoyances and one big one that is costing ME $1,000 to get fixed.
Minor: Winnebago forgot to put in a video loop filter so my TV had horizontal lines while using the inverter; Dump valves labeled incorrectly
Major: Damage to the leaf spring dampner, Winnebago refused to acknowledge that the damage happened on their watch. I have my MH at a Dodge Dealer now getting the leaf spring replaced...the mechanics said no way this was road damage...this happened during manufacturing...either at Winnebago or Dodge.
Quality control..?
Good luck...where did you purchase your Winnebago? You said off the lot? or did you buy it from a Dealer nearby?

Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I purchased from the local dealer, no problem with dealer they were a great help getting me on the road, these are things that should never have gotten past quality control (if there is such a thing). I corrected all the problems myself as i don't have time to set in a repair shop with their FACTORY TRAINED TECHs plus now I know it's fixed correctly, but i feel for the person who doesn't have the experience I have and has to keep taking his rig back to a dealer for repairs.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Are you on a mission as you are posting this all over the internet.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Are you on a mission as you are posting this all over the internet.
I would if I had paid the new price for one of the fastest depreciating big ticket items one can buy!

Steve
'95 Luxor AllSteer 37
madrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You can say I'm on a mission. When we are losing jobs at a record rate and RV companies are going bankrupt, there's no excuse for the shoddy workmanship I'm finding in my new motorhome. If Winnebago is having problems with their labor they better take actions soon or they'll join the other companies in Bankruptcy
Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I don't know, but if I was in the market and thinking of buying I'd sure appreciate this heads up. If nothing else I'd be giving the prospective purchase a lot better look over than I'd normally would have.
Good thread

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm sorry you're having problems with your new MH but hope once it's all "fixed" you'll enjoy many happy and safe miles traveling in it. We are on our 4th Winnebago and our problems with the coaches have been minor but I do realize that many have had BIG problems. Just keep in mind that all manufacturers have problems.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I should go back and say, I'm disappointed in the workmanship of the mechanics and feel they should be embarrassed. I do fully understand that there will be problems and defects that slip through the cracks, but in a time when we need to step up to the plate to keep the industry going. We need to put the American Pride back into our products.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

It should have been built correctly, but most of those problems should have been found in the pre delivery inspection by the dealer. They were paid for doing that.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtop1 View Post
I should go back and say, I'm disappointed in the workmanship of the mechanics and feel they should be embarrassed. I do fully understand that there will be problems and defects that slip through the cracks, but in a time when we need to step up to the plate to keep the industry going. We need to put the American Pride back into our products.
I have owned 2 Winnebago M/Hs and have been happy with them. I would consider a 3rd. I believe Winnebago and your dealer want to manufacture and sell a quality product. I would encourage you to contact Winnebago Customer Service and your dealer and inform them of the problems and your displeasure dealing with them. I believe it would help direct their attention to better quality control.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I've owned several different makes of motorhomes in the last 40 yrs. When I buy a new car, I expect perfection. When I buy a MH, I expect a few problems. I now have a Journey and it's the best MH I've ever had. I would definately buy another Winnebago.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Archtop,
Sorry to hear that you had problems with your new Winnebago. I'm on my 3rd Winnebago and sure have had problems after all it is a house on 6 tires. I think Winnebago still builds quality motorhomes and takes very good care of the customers.

I don't know your exact situation but when I purchased my last Winnebago from Lichtsinn Motors I stayed at Winnebago for at least a week to make sure all systems were working properly and that I was familiar with all the new systems including the jacks and slide outs. Since I went from a Class C to Class A I took it on the road for a little bit to get the feel of things before I headed home. Lichtsinn is a super dealer and corrected all problems and gave me the complete walk through that they get paid for.

In Closing I don't think you should bad mouth Winnbago, howwever I think you should let them know of your problems. Winnebago has been around for a long time and still gets their excellence award every year and will be around a some more years, Go Winnebago.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

As I re-read the original posting I see that the problems are either water related or electrical for the most part. This tells me that the persons working the line for plumbing and electrical are NOT doing their jobs correctly. I would guess as Winnebago reads this they will come to the same conclusions and act or at least I hope so.

Times are hard in north Iowa and many good hardworking people are looking for work so Winnebago can have the best working their assembly lines.

Again, I do hope you have many happy and safe miles and this is the end of your problems.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Archtop,
Sorry to hear that you had problems with your new Winnebago. I'm on my 3rd Winnebago and sure have had problems after all it is a house on 6 tires. I think Winnebago still builds quality motorhomes and takes very good care of the customers.

I don't know your exact situation but when I purchased my last Winnebago from Lichtsinn Motors I stayed at Winnebago for at least a week to make sure all systems were working properly and that I was familiar with all the new systems including the jacks and slide outs. Since I went from a Class C to Class A I took it on the road for a little bit to get the feel of things before I headed home. Lichtsinn is a super dealer and corrected all problems and gave me the complete walk through that they get paid for.

In Closing I don't think you should bad mouth Winnbago, howwever I think you should let them know of your problems. Winnebago has been around for a long time and still gets their excellence award every year and will be around a some more years, Go Winnebago.
He is not bad mouthing Winnebago! We are looking at the 2010 42 ft. and I am glad to know how things are going. We have an 08 Winnebago that has been great! also have had two new 2008 Tiffins one was a pile of junk and went back, the other was gteat! Also had a 04 Sunflyer, got tired of fighting with winnebago so went to Tiffins, I think they are all hit or miss!
Do contact Winn. customer relations, they can be of great help, don't back down, and let them know your next coach may not be theirs!
Thanks for the heads-up on 2010 Winnebagos!
stonewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I also did not read any 'badmouthing' in his post. As a potential customer, within a week or so of pulling the trigger, I'm grateful for any recent experience! I think that is a lot of things to go wrong, on a brand new (expensive!!) MH, and the items the OP mentioned dont seem like the usual road use problems. They seem like quality control issues, the way I read it.

I'm also very interested, in how the customer is treated, when these problems are found, so it would be great to see what Winnebago's response is. The current response to the leaf spring problem doesn't inspire confidence!

Thanks for the heads up!
YesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
Quote:
When I ask mechanics about quality products they said Winnebago. Being a machinist for oil refineries for 37 years before retiring I'm embarrassed for Winnebago industrializes, if this is what they consider a quality product. Nothing is assembled correctly with this new Sightseer 33C. I understand that every new motor home will have defects but the number and type of problems we've found so far is beyond acceptable. First we bought the New Motor home right off Winnebago's lot. On our way home to New Jersey from forest City Iowa, we found water under the buffet where there is no water lines. Being on the road i decided i had to do something to get us home so I took the floor up from under the sink and found the drain had not been connected and all our dish water has poured under the buffet. Next the rug in front of the bedroom closets was wet, hence, the tubing for the hot water heater had not been tightened. The water connections to the fresh water pump not tight, the rear TV wired incorrectly, the side marker lights not connected, the outside entertainment 12 volt outlet not connected, the entertainment center not connected to the outside wall!!! This is QUALITY???
Hi, sorry you ran into this problem(s) with your new RV. If you haven't contacted them (I'm sure you have), then do so.. Don't ask for the sales person but the GM or the Service Director/Mgr. Be as polite and forceful as required to get it all issues resolved.

Next what happened to the PDI walk-thru by you. I was with my Tech for over 3 hrs and despite my due diligence I still did not find everything. I had my own checklist which I found on-line and modified based on input from 2 forums.. My list is 15 pages long and I'm still learning where things are in the RV. BTW: This is the first RV I have ever owned... CLASS A Safari/Cheetah.

Though it is very frustrating, I have found the service dept to be very willing to resolve issues, immediately.

Good Luck, please do not take my post as an attack on you. We can't always find all issues.. Even with a S/B home how often have we heard people talk about a "Punch List". As deplorable as it is, it happens.

Once your issues are resolved you will thoroughly enjoy your RV. You are very fortunate you the skills to fix these items, I do not, but I'm learning.. Thank you for sharing .
Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I bought mine used with 22000 miles on it. It seems all the problems have been worked out. I agree we need to show some good old american pride. If there is any left in the workplace.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
Campingman....Agreed....what happened to...."good old American pride". It is not only reflected in the RV industry but throughout our country. Is it because of work constantly going off-shore ? Sounds like an excuse..

This happened before off-shore was in the mix...
No its all about deadlines and the bottom line. I worked at a fortune 500 company and things were put in the market place with bugs... The attitude was we need to meet this deadline, we will fix it with a PTF or APAR or in the next release..
Old 01-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I ended up getting my leaf spring replaced by a Dodge dealership for $1,325.00. Fortunately my insurance company paid for the majority of the cost. I have a $500 deductible. I am really not happy with how Winnebago handled this...

Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote