Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2006 Sightseer Storage/Compartment Door Removal

I've read some other threads but they don't seem to clarify one issue.

I have a 2006 Sightseer 29R-SE design with a wedge-shaped "eyebrow" over the storage/compartment door hinges. It appears that I need to remove that piece to get to the door hinges.

Is that the first thing I need to remove the plastic caps at each end with a screw coming up from the underside? They are at such an angle I can't get a screwdriver to them. Suggestions?

Will I be able to remove the eyebrow at that point or do I need to remove more?
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Try Winnebago Support

David and Laura,

Sorry you have had no reply since December 17. I went outside and examined my bin doors, identical to yours, and see what you mean. They make small right-angle screw drivers that will reach those screws. (Mine is a ratchet design.) But I would fear damaging the 'eye brow' trim in removal. I would guess it is snapped on over a base piece that is screwed into the side of the motorhome.

May I ask why you want to remove a bin door? If it has minor damage, can it be repaired without removing?

I would contact Winnebago. Another thread in the forums says, "I have always had good luck getting info by emailing [email protected]" and "Contact Winnebago Customer Assistance at [email protected] or 800-537-1885.

Let us know how it goes,
Bill
RHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Success. I was making it more difficult than needed. The triangle plastic pieces at the ends with the most difficult screws don't need to be removed first. As you recommended, I used a right angle rachet screwdriver for the screws in each hinge, including the wheel well cover.

The trim piece then lifts up out of a small flange easily.

I haven't removed the damaged doors yet. Need to get them straightened and repainted. The local RV dealers are heavily backlogged so it might be faster to carry them in. Also I want to put a cover on for the rest of winter.

I hope to post pictures in the future.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Bin Door Repair at Car Collision Shops?

David and Laura,

That's good news that bin door removal is easier than first suspected.

You might try auto collision shops to repair your doors. I've had better success there than at RV dealers. The collision shops these days have computerized paint matching, including any graphics on the doors. They are also very good at sheet metal work, of course.

Thanks for your feedback,
Bill
RHome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, removal, sightseer, storage