Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2023, 03:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Winnebago Journey Propane system

Does anyone know (I'm sure someone does) I have noticed that my propane (and I know I might explain this incorrectly as I'm unfamiliar) keeps "igniting" or turning on periodically (even though I have not used my stove, the refrigerator is on Auto (but currently using electrical to power it), and I have not ran my water for the hot water to be turned on, and the furnace is "OFF".

Is this normal?? I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey. I have tried researching this via the manual it doesn't offer much.

I truly can't think of one thing that would make my propane ignite and run for about one to two minutes. It doesn't seem to be using any propane, so maybe this is normal in order to keep the pilot light lit for when I do use my stove, etc.
ajmcdonald99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The only thing that will "ignite" periodically is your water heater; it is coming on periodically to maintain hot water. Even though you are not using any hot water, it will eventually start to cool down, and the unit will fire back up for a few minutes to maintain the hot water. If you have no need for hot water, turn the WH off at your monitor/control panel, and it will stop igniting.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, thanks. At least now I know why
ajmcdonald99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You may have a Propane hot water switch, ours does and I keep it turned off when on shore power. Saves on propane but does cost some electric, but does the job making hot water. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Possible Control Board Issue with Water Heater

It is crucial that you promptly investigate the source of ignition. Ignoring or leaving it undiagnosed can lead to potentially dangerous consequences.

I encountered a situation where the control board of an Atwood water heater would ignite the propane burner, even when the propane heat was disabled at the control panel. This anomaly only occurred when the electric heating element was enabled. Upon further examination, I discovered that the voltage on the control line to the control board, responsible for enabling the propane, would gradually increase. When the voltage reached approximately 8 volts, the propane burner would ignite sporadically. Once it reached around 9 volts, the burner would operate continuously until the thermostat signaled it to turn off, just as if the propane heat were enabled.
Old 05-24-2023, 09:56 PM   #6
Site Team

That said… it is entirely normal for the water heater to periodically relight to keep the water at a more or less constant temperature. It does this whether the water heater is on electric or propane. You can’t hear it when on electric, but it’s doing the same thing with an electric heating element.

Your water heater at home does the exact same thing, unless you have a tankless water heater.

This is not a problem nor anything to be concerned about.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmcdonald99 View Post
maybe this is normal in order to keep the pilot light lit for when I do use my stove, etc.
A thing to know is you don’t have a pilot light on any of these propane appliances. The water heater, stove top and furnace are all either lit via an electrical spark automatically or via a piezoelectric igniter from turning the “light” knob on your stove top.

The only LP appliance that does have a pilot light is your oven, if you have one. But that doesn’t stay lit, you must manually light it and it goes out when you turn the oven off.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My personal choice on the water heater is to leave it totally off until turning it on when we get ready to use hot water. I don't like to have a hot spot on the side of the RV, either electrical or propane, when I'm trying to cool the inside!
The burner is such high output that we can heat the six gallons of water while I finish my coffee, etc. I work to avoid situations where waiting for hot water is a problem! I also keep in mind that the less time it spends heating the longer it will last!

But I also turn off ceiling fans and lights when I leave the room!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:14 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
My personal choice on the water heater is to leave it totally off until turning it on when we get ready to use hot water.
^This

My Water Heater is directly outside of the side window of the bedroom slide. It will wake us up at night even with the windows closed.

I have a small note card in the bathroom that says "Water Heater!" that I put out when we are using the LP for the water heater. So, in the morning I am reminded to turn it on. It takes 12 mins to fully heat the water in the 10 gal tank.

Tags
winnebago, journey, propane