Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2005 Itasca Horizon 40ad - does it have a heated basement?

Hi,
We recently bought a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40ad, and I have not been able to figure out if it was a heated basement. The operators manual does not mention this. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure this out.

Thanks,

Darryl
dvleemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

More than likely it does have forced air to the basement. See if any of the furnace air ducts dump into the basement area. It may or may not have heat pads under the water and waste tanks. Look for switches on the control panel that are for tank heaters.

Ken
Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
paz
Winnebago Camper

Try posting your question on the Winnebago/Itasca Owners Forum section a little farther down the main page. Those folks should be better able to answer your question.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes. On our 2005 Horizon the water compartment is heated by the primary gas furnace. One of the floor heater vents just below the thermostat has a deflector in it that can be set to direct that heater vent to the water compartment. I believe the other compartments get heat from the primary gas furnace also. I have remote thermostats in those compartments and have never had a problem with some nights in the high teens.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes. We also have a 2005 40AD. As mentioned, the heating comes from the main (front) LP furnace only. The heating vent in the floor near the table pedestal has an opening in the bottom to allow heat into the main basement area. There is also a flexible tube directing heat into the water/utility bay. We use our Horizon year-round in the NC mountains, and have never had freezing issues. We don't use auxiliary heating sources in the basement. There are NO heating pads for holding and fresh water tanks on the Horizon - they receive their heat from the basement.

Horizon was the top-of-the-line, and was well thought out as a result.

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We got an 05 Itasca Horizon 40ad for this summer and love it! Just finished winterizing it for the first time. Our HW heater compartment has a lever to turn and drain and a knob you turn to bypass. There is no drain plug that we could fine.
Question, do you store with jacks down or up? We're getting ready to store for a couple months. Will be setting on concrete pad and wasn't sure.
Glad to find others with same MH.
Bren
Upslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

40AD

Welcome to the AD world. We think it was Horizon's best floor plan. You can drain the water heater by opening the pressure release valve AND opening the drain plug. Pressure release valve is towards the top, and the drain plug is towards the bottom of the water heater. If you are storing for winter, you should drain the WH to keep the water from going sour.

If you are storing, you should retract the jacks. Some people don't like to store tires on concrete. They prefer to park on boards placed on the concrete. Theory is that water will become trapped between tires and concrete. That water can deteriorate the rubber. My opinion: not an issue because you aren't keeping it in storage for a long time. You should cover the tires, though. UV damage happens 365 days/year.

My email is [email protected] if you have any 40AD questions.

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upslady View Post
We got an 05 Itasca Horizon 40ad for this summer and love it! Just finished winterizing it for the first time. Our HW heater compartment has a lever to turn and drain and a knob you turn to bypass. There is no drain plug that we could fine.
Question, do you store with jacks down or up? We're getting ready to store for a couple months. Will be setting on concrete pad and wasn't sure.
Glad to find others with same MH.
Bren
Mark has the answer to draining the HW tank. It's a good thing to do for several reasons; 1. so the water doesn't go sour, 2. to prevent the tank from freezing & 3. it allows you to rinse the minerals that accumulate in the tank.
I've been to a HWH seminar (the people who manufacture your jacks) and they recommended storing with the jacks down to relieve some of the weight off the tires. Before we went full time we stored the rig through the winter in NY State but I never did store it with the jacks down. I didn't like the idea of the jack rams being exposed to the nasty weather all winter long. I did place plastic blocks under the tires while it was parked on gravel all winter. Now we're parked for a couple of months at a time visiting the kids in the summer but I don't have anything between the tires and the gravel.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Yes.
ru499 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca