Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Itasca furnace questions

Recently purchased a 2005 Horizon, 40AD. Noticed there is a separate thermostat on the monitor panel which seems to fire a smaller furnace that serves the bath area? Is that its only purpose? Noticed that there is a switch in the furnace compartment for this unit, which is currently off, but still fires. Seems like it is close, or attached to the LP input valve? Does anyone know the purpose of the switch?

Also, coach was stored for a while, the main furnace does not seem to fire. Tried to fire it a few times, thought maybe needed to get LP to the unit. Before I take it to the dealer, any thoughts?

Thanks.
harmstrong17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here's the Owners Manual for your coach, in case you don't have one.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, one gas furnace is for the bathroom and bedroom area only. When you ask about a switch in the furnace compartment I'm not sure what you are calling the furnace compartment. I'm not aware of a switch that controls the rear furnace other than the circuit breaker. There's a LP gas emergency shut-off switch next to the LP fill. This same switch is in the coach interior next to the electric hot water switch. Keep in mind that the main gas furnace is the source for basement heat to your water compartments. On this same subject, the floor heater vent just below the central control panel has a diverter in it that directs more/less neat to the basement water compartment.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Same thing in our 04 Vectra. It is a 40KD so the floor plan is a litle different but I would guess the bedroom furnace is the same idea. I assume that the idea is to be able to close the pocket door at night and only heat the rear. One trip when we returned the small thermostat somehow got turned on and the rear furnace used our entire LP tank while parked so be careful about that

If you take a look at the outside of your coach there should be two locations with vents that have half sphere shaped screen covers (they look like tennis ball size bug eyes to me) that will be the location of both of your furnaces.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If your talking about on/off switch by the motor on the furnance that suposed to shut it down
Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, the switch in the bathroom furnace compartment, by the motor is in the off position. The blowers runs with the switch in off position, does the switch disable the ignitor, haven't tested that yet. Thanks for the info on the diverter. Makes total sense to have a small furnace for bath and bedroom, somebody was thinking.

Haven't been able to fire the main furnace, wonder if a sensor is failing? Coach may not have used the furnace for a while. The fan starts for the 30 seconds I expect but then shuts down when you would expect the furnace to ignite. Any ideas? Will probably head to the service center for it but wondered if there may be a simple solution.

Headed to Joliet this weekend for the Nascar race, first long trip so hoping all goes well.
harmstrong17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Can you post a pic I have never seen a furnace compartment I think we are talking about 2 different thing, there are only a few things that can go wrong on them let see what you have then go from there
Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I'm with nightriderrv on this one. A picture would help. I think you're talking about the lower compartment with the grate on it between the toilet and bedroom passenger side. On my unit, there is no switch in that compartment.

What you're describing about your gas furnaces; assuming both furnaces have this issue, sounds like the LP gas is off. If your gas stove top doesn't work, my guess is one of the LP switches are off. If the stove top works, I would look at the gas feed to the furnaces including purging the line since the unit was idle for a long period.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The only switch I know of on the furnance is by the motor and it shuts it off you have to open the cover on the outside to see it
Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Call Winne tech assist they will let you know for sure

Tags
furnace, itasca