Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I had my roof come off twice. Once Winnie fixed because they said the rails the fiberglass went into were not deep enough. Only in 1/16" in places.

Next time insurance fixed.

I then started recaulking myself. Never cleaned the caulk, just kept building it up and over the rails some. I never had any problems after I got a lot of build up. The cracks that used to appear along the edge never reappeared. I did this for about 5 years. I have traded since.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

any comments? Yes, winnebago can do no wrong no matter what the problem is. It's the owner's fault for not jacking right, driving to hard or not checking the caulking.
I have been on the factory tour to and I was not impressed. Check the welds made to the chassis by the winnebago. I have had two winnebagos and it looked like the Job Core workers put the the thing together.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

I checked my Itasca Suncruiser roof religiously every month. Year two, separation appeared. After a lot of consideration, I decided Eternabond was the safest way to go and an end to future worries. It has worked and looks like new 6 years later. I do not even check the roof seams anymore.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:53 AM   #24
JC2
Winnie-Wise

What type/brand of caulking are we talking about? Can it be purchased at Lowes/Home Depot or just a Winnie dealer?
FWIW, I have read another thread on I believe this forum where some people have inserted rubber screen spline in the area between the roof and gutter before caulking.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:14 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know what Winnebago's objection to using Erternabond for this problem is? Seems to me that it would solve alot of problems. The other post referred to has excellent photos of the repair process.
J. Dean Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J. Dean Bailey:
Does anyone know what Winnebago's objection to using Erternabond for this problem is? Seems to me that it would solve alot of problems. The other post referred to has excellent photos of the repair process. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to know as well! While it sounds like a good product and many have used it successfully, why doesn't Winnie? Also how does this work with full body paint and no I am not going up there and doing my own painting job.

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote