Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-04-2023, 03:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2004 Sightseer slide out lube and maintenance

Hi everyone, I have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer on a P32 Workhorse chassis. The last time I went out in her we noticed a little more noise when extending and retracting the slide out. I've looked on You Tube and searched, but haven't come across anyone that addresses the lubrication or maintenance of this sort of slide extender.

I have seen much about using silicone and rubber seal conditioner and have thoroughly cleaned the top of the slide and sides and then coated the seals and the roof and sides with with silicone lube. Injected the lube directly into the seals while holding them apart. I can tell you it's been well lubed in that area, but the moaning and groaning still subsists. I finally looked at the extension mechanics again (I had lubed the screw jack type extender, inside and out with silicone lube).

I got to thinking (for once) that these screw jacks should probably be greased. I took some lithium bearing grease and crawled under it, but access to the threads on the screw jack is very limited. I got some in there, but I'm sure there is a better way. There are what appear to be sliding pucks that take the weight of the slide, so I greased the out side of the extension arms as well. This has made a little difference, but am looking for some information on how to do this.

I would be very happy to have any advice from anyone out there that has actually dealt with this type of maintenance.

I have attached a picture of the part and the part numbers for reference.

Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-02 090102.png
Views:	28
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	184916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-02 090349.png
Views:	33
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	184917  

Aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is what I use https://www.hotshotsecret.com/rv-slide-out-lubricant/ It sprays on then dries to a thick lubricating film that is not sticky.
I was doubtful at first, then after once use I was hooked. BTW HotshotSecret is a sponsor of irv2.com. Right now they are out of stock, I'm glad I have a spare can..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This is what I use https://www.hotshotsecret.com/rv-slide-out-lubricant/ It sprays on then dries to a thick lubricating film that is not sticky.
I was doubtful at first, then after once use I was hooked. BTW HotshotSecret is a sponsor of irv2.com. Right now they are out of stock, I'm glad I have a spare can..
Great, great tip, but nobody has any. Thanks, I'll just wait in line. Sounds like just what I need for that screw drive
Aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, sightseer, slide, slide out