Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Journey propane tank weld crack

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey with a leaky Propane Tank. The welds on the brackets that mount the tank to the Motor Home are cracked and leaking. There was a Winnebago recall, (recall #90) but Winnebago tells me that my coach is not covered by it. This MH was in storage for quite a while. The original owner bought it, got sick and passed away. The widow left it in storage until her kids encouraged her to sell it.
I don’t know if the original owner was sent a recall notice or not but if he did, it is long gone.

Winnebago tells me that my coach is not covered since it was built in October 2003, and the recall was for coaches built through September 2003. Inside the coach is a plate stamped 09/03.
I am looking to contact people who had 2003 Journeys that were repaired by the recall. Winnebago tells me that the affected tank was 144116-02, and that my coach has a 144116-03 tank. Undoubtedly, there is some mix up since my tank is leaking at the exact points that Winnebago predicted would leak. If you had a coach, or know someone who had a coach where the old tank was used, but remounted using bands instead hard mounts, I’d like to get some information. I am trying to cross Manchester tank part numbers to Winnebago part number. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The bands were installed on my old 03 Journey DL. I believe that it was built in Oct. of 02. The current owner is in our local area (STL) if you need more information.

I have heard of others with the same problem that you have, but they never reported the outcome on this forum.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

IF this is a Federal Safety Recall, you can contact NHTSA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Boeing guy,

Send me an email:

[email protected]

jim
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
doc
Winnebago Owner

Interesting situation here. The OP says the weld itself is leaking. Likely when the weld tore out, it tore through into the tank. What will Winne do? I sure as heck would no want to try to repair that tank by welding on it. Hope the replace the entire tank
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The Manchester part number is on the tag welded to the tank.

My 29 gallon tank is a #68129, if I'm remembering right, for example. It happens to be unique to Winnebago so having the number doesn't help much.

I think the Journeys typically used a 39 gallon tank, but the mounting looks very similar, and that's the unique to Winnebago feature.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

leaking lp tank

i understand you want a waranty replacement. sounds like that's not going to happen. choices 1) have it re welded. The shop that's going to weld on fuel tanks is not going to be cheap, and probably no waranty, and then it needs to be recertified. $$$$$ 2) get a new (warantied) tank and move on and enjoy your rv.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

leaking lp tank

as a side note, winnebago didn't manufacture that tank. try contacting the manufacturer for a replacement for said reasons. if you find resistance explain that the leaking tank is of no use to you and wouldn't they rather have it back to see why it failed? if not since it has no value to you, you will send it to what ever outside agency it was that started the first recall. (find out who they are, no empty threat). well it's a shot.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
as a side note, winnebago didn't manufacture that tank. try contacting the manufacturer for a replacement for said reasons. if you find resistance explain that the leaking tank is of no use to you and wouldn't they rather have it back to see why it failed? if not since it has no value to you, you will send it to what ever outside agency it was that started the first recall. (find out who they are, no empty threat). well it's a shot.

Back in 2002 or so I had a leak in the tank on my 97 Discovery. I contacted Manchester Tanks and they picked up the tank at my house, repaired & painted it and shipped it back.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I wonder who welded the mounting brackets to the tank: Winnebago or Manchester? If he orders a new tank from Manchester will it have the brackets welded to the tank and will they be in the right location? Might have to order it from Winnebago to get the tank with brackets. Winnebago did re-weld the brackets on mine in May 2011 and the weld failed again in May 2012. The weld appeared strong but propane seeped out of the weld seam. Winnebago did replace the tank on mine at no cost to me other than me taking it to the factory but they also told me my tank was not covered by the tank recall. (I have corresponded directly with Boeing Guy on this)
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Guys,
the weld is not the problem even though it is the point of failure. I have had 2 tanks fail on me at the same point. If you reweld it, it will likely fail again. After substantial dialog and photos sent to Manchester tank. They concluded that the tank was not properly mounted because the frame undergoes a twist during bumpy roads that eventually causes the failure. But one could easily also conclude that if the brackets were welded better, then they would not fail. They claim that Winnebago is at fault. A new tank will also eventually fail at the same welds (as happened to me).
The only solution is a conversion kit from Winnebago that converts the standard bracket mounting to strap mounts.
See attached photo of the brackets.
hope this helps
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	26648   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	26649  

jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I assume that the tank part# Winnebago quoted you as being your propane tank # is the same number that is listed on your RV's build list available on Winnebago's website using the serial #, not the VIN. Just a "double checking" thought.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey with a leaky Propane Tank. The welds on the brackets that mount the tank to the Motor Home are cracked and leaking. There was a Winnebago recall, (recall #90) but Winnebago tells me that my coach is not covered by it. This MH was in storage for quite a while. The original owner bought it, got sick and passed away. The widow left it in storage until her kids encouraged her to sell it.
I don’t know if the original owner was sent a recall notice or not but if he did, it is long gone.

Winnebago tells me that my coach is not covered since it was built in October 2003, and the recall was for coaches built through September 2003. Inside the coach is a plate stamped 09/03.
I am looking to contact people who had 2003 Journeys that were repaired by the recall. Winnebago tells me that the affected tank was 144116-02, and that my coach has a 144116-03 tank. Undoubtedly, there is some mix up since my tank is leaking at the exact points that Winnebago predicted would leak. If you had a coach, or know someone who had a coach where the old tank was used, but remounted using bands instead hard mounts, I’d like to get some information. I am trying to cross Manchester tank part numbers to Winnebago part number. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mine did the same thing at the same weld. There was a recall but by some slight of hand and magic, mine was not covered (BS). It was obvious it was a bad weld from Manchester . I sucked it up and put in a new tank and all is well.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Bisson View Post
I assume that the tank part# Winnebago quoted you as being your propane tank # is the same number that is listed on your RV's build list available on Winnebago's website using the serial #, not the VIN. Just a "double checking" thought.
Can you elaborate on this? I talked to Winnie service rep and first I was told that my MH was built in September 2003 (which would have put it in the recall). Then I was told it was built in October 2003 and is not part of the recall. Can you explain to me how to get to the Winnebago web site and find a build list. I have been to Winnie web site but have not found a build list by my serial number. I'm probably not looking in the right place. If you want you can PM me and walk me through it if you have time. Thanks for your help. I will look again.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Go here Parts Catalog and click on 'Service Parts List' on the left hand side of the page.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Jim....We have an '03 Journey that was covered by the recall...the tank was replaced for us by Winnebago LAST MONTH at no charge. I called them..told them I smelled propane...they told me I was part of the recall program and so they sent me to an authorized dealer. The dealer determined the leak was from the bracket welds. A week later the new tank was in and they replaced it (including several new fittings) at no charge to us. All I paid for was the propane...so they are still honoring the recall.

I spoke with the tech who did the job and he mentioned that the original tank had also been installed upside down! I would suggest you check your tank for that issue also...then I would call Winnebago again. It sounds to me as if you have EXACTLY the same problem as was addressed by the recall....I would think they would want to replace your tank at no charge rather than deal with a reopening of the NHTSA investigation that could potentially make many more coaches subject to recall.

Good Luck,

Jim
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Boeing Guy, good topic; Marinelender and all good assist. I'm going to chaeck my propane tank today. Boeing Guy please post your follow-up......
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Marinelender,
Can you tell me who you talked to and when your coach was built. The plate in my MH is stamped 09/03. That tells me it was built in September 2003. Winebago service Rep told me my MH was built in October 2003. Only coaches built before Sept 19, 2003 were part of the recall.
I spoke to a Mr Flugm I believe in Forest City. He was adament that my coach is not part of the recall. He said tank part number 144116-03-000 is the recall tank. I have a 144116-02-000 tank. But it is leaking at exactly where Winnebago predicted it would leak. That would be indication to me that Winnebago should fix it as part of the recall.
The problem is that part number is a Winnebago part number. No where is it located on the tank. The tank has a Manchester tank Company part number and I can't figure out how to cross manchester part number to Winnebago part number.

Manchester Tank people told me Winnebago installed the tank improperly and it is their fault.

Here is where we are. I sent photos of the tank to Manchester Tank Company. They agreed to send a tank for $460 including shipping. Winnebago sent the new strap mouting kit and a new gauge (the old gauge will not fit the new tank) for free.
I will have to pay labor to replace the tank, plus purging and filling. So, it will still cost me the better part of a grand. Am I happy? No. Would I like Winnebago to fix it totally? Yes. But unless I can talk to someone else, I guess that is where I am. It appears that different folks have gotten different results at different times. One guy told me he ate the entire cost (almost 3 grand). One told me Good Sam paid for it - twice i think. Many told me Winnebago paid for it. I'm kind of in the middle. If any one has a name, let me know. I have hit a brick wall.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Marinelender,
Can you tell me who you talked to and when your coach was built. The plate in my MH is stamped 09/03. That tells me it was built in September 2003. Winebago service Rep told me my MH was built in October 2003. Only coaches built before Sept 19, 2003 were part of the recall.
I spoke to a Mr Flugm I believe in Forest City. He was adament that my coach is not part of the recall. He said tank part number 144116-03-000 is the recall tank. I have a 144116-02-000 tank. But it is leaking at exactly where Winnebago predicted it would leak. That would be indication to me that Winnebago should fix it as part of the recall.
The problem is that part number is a Winnebago part number. No where is it located on the tank. The tank has a Manchester tank Company part number and I can't figure out how to cross manchester part number to Winnebago part number.

Manchester Tank people told me Winnebago installed the tank improperly and it is their fault.

Here is where we are. I sent photos of the tank to Manchester Tank Company. They agreed to send a tank for $460 including shipping. Winnebago sent the new strap mouting kit and a new gauge (the old gauge will not fit the new tank) for free.
I will have to pay labor to replace the tank, plus purging and filling. So, it will still cost me the better part of a grand. Am I happy? No. Would I like Winnebago to fix it totally? Yes. But unless I can talk to someone else, I guess that is where I am. It appears that different folks have gotten different results at different times. One guy told me he ate the entire cost (almost 3 grand). One told me Good Sam paid for it - twice i think. Many told me Winnebago paid for it. I'm kind of in the middle. If any one has a name, let me know. I have hit a brick wall.
You may already have this, but FYI....
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm

and enter 04V114 in the Search box.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy
Can you elaborate on this? I talked to Winnie service rep and first I was told that my MH was built in September 2003 (which would have put it in the recall). Then I was told it was built in October 2003 and is not part of the recall. Can you explain to me how to get to the Winnebago web site and find a build list. I have been to Winnie web site but have not found a build list by my serial number. I'm probably not looking in the right place. If you want you can PM me and walk me through it if you have time. Thanks for your help. I will look again.
Just call Winnebago and they will email the Build sheets to you
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, propane, tank