Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2004 Journey 39W Air conditioner filter

I tried to change the AC filter. The owners manual says to lift the bed frame lid. It appears that the bed frame cannot be lifted, or I am doing something wrong. The bed frame appears to be screwed down and cannot be lifted. It has a sleep number bed. Not sure if that matters. Does anyone know where the AC filter is located on a 2004 Journey model 39W. It is a 14X20X1 filter and the previous owner left a clean filter in the coach so I assume that they had chaged it in the past.
Jim Loeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I just looked at at your floorplan, and if the bed slides, my guess is that the filter is under the closet at the right rear. It should be right behind the cold air return grill.

If the headboard on your bed is against the rear wall of the coach, the filter will be under the bed.

FWIW, I had a lot of trouble replacing the filters under the bed, so I mounted a return air/filter grill on the outside of the bed box. It looks good (although you have to lie down on the floor to see it) and I can change the filter in about 30 seconds.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

On my 2004 39K at the passenger side rear of the bedroom there is a wood vent just above the floor. That vent pulls off and the filter is located in that compartment. I have no idea if it is the same on your 39G.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jim:

Welcome to the forum . I told you there were friendly and helpful folks here and you will find no end to the great information you can glean from this forum. As noted, the filter has to be behind the return air grill. Mine is under the bed (my coach has a north-south bed with a hinged bed platform).

You will note there is a chassis forum here on IRV2 and you can get help with questions about your Freightliner chassis. Also, we have a forum devoted to toads and towing so you may want to check there for any questions about the toad (I know you were considering those options).

If you would like, we can make you an 'official' member of the Winnebago Owners Club and give you some karma.

Gary
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I just looked at at your floorplan, and if the bed slides, my guess is that the filter is under the closet at the right rear. It should be right behind the cold air return grill.

If the headboard on your bed is against the rear wall of the coach, the filter will be under the bed.

FWIW, I had a lot of trouble replacing the filters under the bed, so I mounted a return air/filter grill on the outside of the bed box. It looks good (although you have to lie down on the floor to see it) and I can change the filter in about 30 seconds.
I've been considering doing the same. How did you fasten the filter in the opening, did you fabricate another grill to go in front of the filter and how did you fill the slotted area under the bed where the OEM filter would normally go?

I always end up using some four letter words whenever I have to change the filter. That set up was devised by someone who does not really like us .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My 2003 39W Journey's filter is located under the row of drawers that the bedroom TV resides in. The last drawer is removed and the filiter is replaced on the bottom AC frame. There is no filter under the bed. The only filter is 14 x 20". My bed rises from the foot of the mattress. No struts to hold it up but no storage under the bed so really no need to keep it up. Just a bunch of electrical stuff.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

smlranger,

I removed the existing grill and filter and sealed the gaps with foam pipe insulation.

I got a 12X20 return air grill that accepts the filter and attached to the outside of the bed via a face frame. The return air register is designed with two tabs that lock it closed.

To replace the filter, just turn the tabs and the grill portion will release so you can replace the filter. Any AC supply should have what you need.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

2004 39W Journey

We have a 2004 39W Journey.

The air filter for the basement air / heat pump is located under the row of drawers to the left (as you are facing the rear of the coach).

If you remove the bottom drawer the filter can be replaced through that opening.

The cold air return for the LP furnace is underneath the dresser.

There are two screws that hold the bed base down. If you remove them you can lift the bed up ... it is hinged near the head of the bed. There is a lot of unused storage space under the bed that can be reclaimed. I will send pictures of how I reclaimed the space if you are interested
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I still haven't found mine. My manual says it is under the bed on the left hand side near the engine.

Nope not there. I will look in the last drawer next time I am at the coach.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

pameridian,

I have an '05 Meridian 36G so probably in the same place as mine.

Stand at the foot of the bed and look at the night stand on the curb side of the bed. There is a ledge just to the right of the night stand between it and the bed. Mine is carpeted and if you feel around about in the middle of that carpeted ledge there is a hole drilled in it.

Stick a finger in it and pull up. The filter is down there. Mine takes a 14" X 20" and needs changing at about the two week interval max. They really get cruddy so I buy the cheapies. Take a trash bag back there to drop the dirty one in instead of dragging the dirty one all the way thru the rig.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I do not know if you are aware you can find the answer to these kind of questions by looking at the parts catalog for your coach. If you have not looked at that catalog you might want to download it for handy reference. Parts catalogs for all diesel coaches are located on the Winnebago web site. On that site go to Resouces, then Manual & Diagrams. Then select Parts Catalogs and select your year and model. You will then see all of the parts and their numbers in your coach. By referencing that catalog I can see that your filter is indeed in the right rear of the coach above the basement air unit. Probably under the drawers mentioned by others. By using this catalog you can do your own parts searches and then, when necessary order a part. Might save a trip to the dealership.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

OC7155

Well I found the air filter, but can't see how to get the damn thing out. There is a screen with a wood frame at the bottom of the left hand night stand. That bottom drawer is only like 6 inches wide? the air filter is like 14 inches wide? Not coming out of that hole when I take the drawer out?

The screen and the wood molding in front around it does not seem to come off. No hole on the side either?

What am I missing here?

Regards... Jim P.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We take the Bottom Drawer, the small one; and the next drawer up which gives me enough room to reach in and remove the filter.
Try it taking two drawers out and see if it isn't easier.

Good Luck.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

HI CC:

Duhhhhh ..... how dumb am I ? That will probably work. I had six people camping in the RV last week end so I didn't have much time to look at it. It was a zoo.

I will check it out next trip.

Regards... Jim P.

Tags
39w, ac filter, journey