Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2022, 04:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2004 Itasca Meridian Headlight Repair

Have a foglight which totally fell off, and two headlights which are loose, and balancing in place.

What adhesive and prep have others used to reattach headlights and foglights on this vehicle? Alternatively, what has worked well on other similar vehicles? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

JB Weld works great. Holds well, readily available. CLEAN and rough up surfaces, apply mixed components and clamp for 24 hours.
PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just went through this. It was suggested to me to use 3M 5200. The problem with the 3M product is that it requires a relative humidity of 50% to cure in 48 hrs. Had to add soaked towels in water to get the humidity right. Here in Southeast AZ we don't have any. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glue Location.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	182365

Name:	3M HDL Repair.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	182363

I love JB Weld but was not sure it would be elastic for the bumps and rattling down the road. However I did use it on one particular bracket and it cured fast and is well bonded. I added some 3M 5200 as extra strength.

Name:	HD ADJ BRKT.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	182364

hope this helps..Still waiting on the 3M to cure
xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This is a better view showing an added brace to keep the headlight assembly firm against the front fiberglass clip.

Name:	Towel removed to show brace.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	182366
xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wow. I will have to think about how i will clamp things. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mongo,
As you can see and read, there's plenty of options for re-gluing your components back on. Prepping the two is the key to success. I've had a couple of items self release in the ten + years we've owned our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and, I've used a couple different glues. The first one I used a product called Marine Tex. It's highly regarded in the marine world and will work under water. Not that you're planning on taking your coach for a swim and fixing it while it's floating around.

But it's a great two-part epoxy. The second repair, I used Gorilla Construction Adhesive. That's great stuff too only it takes a while for it to cure. I'm in no hurry on this stuff unless I'm camping and need to travel soon after a repair. But, I'd highly recommend the Gorilla stuff.

As stated, the key to success is prep. The metal, if you can completely remove it, needs to be roughed up seriously with some 60 grit sand paper. Then, for good measures, I drilled a few holes in my bracket and what that does is allow for *fingers* of whatever type of epoxy/glue/adhesive you use, to ooze out and grab the back side of your bracket.

Both of my repairs are over 9 years old now and are still holding strong.

As for clamping, in some cases, you can use a beach ball or a small inner tube etc., Just glue everything up, then place your ball in there and inflate it to a point it will press against your object of repair. Just some suggestions. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I was way more casual than most here. Found a fog light on my 2004 itasca hanging by the power wires on PA Turnpike. Used some wire in my junk box to hold it up until I got somewhere. Then did a casual JB Weld job, but left the wire......just in case.

Years later a supercell dropped enough hail on the rig to total it. Fog light still holding.

Alex
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Pretty funny about the bailing wire, but sad about the rig.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexP View Post
I was way more casual than most here. Found a fog light on my 2004 itasca hanging by the power wires on PA Turnpike. Used some wire in my junk box to hold it up until I got somewhere. Then did a casual JB Weld job, but left the wire......just in case.

Years later a supercell dropped enough hail on the rig to total it. Fog light still holding.

Alex
Hmmm, interesting fix. I was wondering though, just what you wired it TO, in order for it to be held in place? I mean, just about EVERYTHING is glued to that front section and there's not much for bailing or any other type wire to wire to, to be used as an anchor, to help hold something like your fog light in place.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Scott, on the rough up I am inclined to put some primer on to seal the metal. My thinking is that the metal bracket holding the fog light up, which is my first repair, may have released from the bonding because of rust on the sheet metal. If I can slow down the rust, I slow down the unbonding.

The headlight I have not taken a look at, but they are both loose and wiggly. I have avoided using the rig at night because of that. However functionally they work okay and any wiggliness does not bother me, but may bother oncoming drivers.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:21 AM   #11
WinnyJourney04

I bought a 2004 Journey in 2013 and almost all the brackets glued to fiberglass had come loose. I used JB Weld and all is well in 2022. Also recommend if you’re having this issue on the front that you check all the welds on the rear bumper as mine had several come undone. I removed the rear bumper and re-glued ALL the joints. The problem with this was Winnebagos construction techniques. If you look at any of your brackets. You will notice that the back of the brackets that face the fiberglass all painted with high gloss black paint — very slick and nothing would hold putting all the stress on the “fingers” of glue through the bracket holes. . Be sure to rough sand the brackets as mentioned in the other posts.
ashaffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hmmm, interesting fix. I was wondering though, just what you wired it TO, in order for it to be held in place? I mean, just about EVERYTHING is glued to that front section and there's not much for bailing or any other type wire to wire to, to be used as an anchor, to help hold something like your fog light in place.
Scott

The wire was just some thin non electrical, that happened to be in my junk box when I stopped at a rest area on the PA highway. I looped it through some of the headlight brackets. Once I had JB Welded it, there was no longer any stress on the wire that I had used. It was probably 16" long and the ends twisted together. Necessity mother of invention on the road.

Alex
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, light, repair