Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2021, 08:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2004 Itasca Meridian 34H - Leak by right side of bed

On a recent weekend adventure, DW found a light leak at the right side of the bed, as viewed from the foot. The light was coming in from outside and shining on the wall.

Lifting the engine cover, there was no observed light from the underside of the bed.

We have had the coach for a year, and in cleaning it up the rear has allot of soot, but I figured that could be 15 years of soot buildup. Now I am wondering if this leak is also channeling in air from the backside of the rig, along with the higher level of soot.

I will probably push in some bronze wool, and then put black silicone caulk on it. But if anyone has better ideas, I welcome them.

Has anyone else had a similar leak with the 34H?
Old 08-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobird View Post
On a recent weekend adventure, DW found a light leak at the right side of the bed, as viewed from the foot. The light was coming in from outside and shining on the wall.

Lifting the engine cover, there was no observed light from the underside of the bed.

We have had the coach for a year, and in cleaning it up the rear has allot of soot, but I figured that could be 15 years of soot buildup. Now I am wondering if this leak is also channeling in air from the backside of the rig, along with the higher level of soot.

I will probably push in some bronze wool, and then put black silicone caulk on it. But if anyone has better ideas, I welcome them.

Has anyone else had a similar leak with the 34H?
Our coach is one level above the Meridian. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. But, the construction quality in the two coaches should be identical since their both built on the same assembly line. We've owned this coach now for right at 10 years. On pretty much every trip we travel from home to a destination, we'll find evidence of dust/fine sand/blackish silt...something or another, back near the left corner of the bed room which, is the back of the coach.

I have sealed every crevice, every hole, every seam, the bed to the rear wall, the bed to the floor, removed drawers from the night stand and filled around wire entrance holes with expandable foam etc. I seal taped with aluminum duct tape, the entire head of the bed to the back wall.

Still, at the end of the day of traveling, the wife will have to dust off the night stand and, shake out the top bed pillows next to the back wall and in some cases, take the bed spread off and take it outside and shake it. I've yet to find where the infiltration is, especially that much.

The air pressure(s) at the back of a diesel pusher can be fairly high, especially with a constant turning 30" fan that cools the radiator and CAC. The back of the coach, or rear cap I should say, is primarily sealed. So, infiltration of any type of soot/fine silt/very fine sand, can potentially enter any place that might open and close, as the coach is traveling down the road. This is a tough one.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have drive diesel cars since 1976, and there is always a fine soot layer that forms on them, particularly in the trunk area. The particulate sizes can be quite small, and are substantially reduced with catalytic converters and newer DEF headaches. However they are there.

I was a bit surprised that there was a crack about 6" long at the bed/wall interface, letting in light (and obviously other stuff as well).

A fall project will be to shine floodlights at the rig, while inside and look for light leaks which could be critter entry points.

Tags
itasca, leak