Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

2004 Itasca "Horizon" RadioRay 2000 spot light

The other week I found My 2004 Itasca "Horizon" RadioRay 2000 spot light pointing backwards. I conclude I must have caught a low branch, and now my spot light is not rotating very fast.

I have never taken this thing apart, so I'm wondering if I can do any repairs to it?

===

On a different subject, when it first bought my coach, I got curious and turned the spot light on with the last bit of juice left in the battery. I.e., I could not turn the light off with a dead battery.

Fortunately, the fact I could turn the light on meant my RF was working. So what I did it take an old 12V cigarette lighter power cord, clip off the end to expose the positive and negative wire, and I attached the positive wire to the positive remote pin. Then I held the negative wire in place (touching the negative remote pin) and turned-off the spot light.

Note: You can use a couple of jumper wires direct to your 12 house batteries, but that is a long way away from your spot light if you have a DP.

I still do not know where the fuse to the spot light is located, so if anyone can tell me, that would be great! ...Somewhere I read the spot light was tied in to the fog lamp fuse, but I have never investigated that to know if it's true in my case.

I also attached a replacement quote I just obtained and these things are expensive! ($800 + shipping)

===

If anyone has replaced their halogen spot lamp with and LED lamp, can you please let us know how it compares and works?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I still do not know where the fuse to the spot light is located, so if anyone can tell me, that would be great! ...Somewhere I read the spot light was tied in to the fog lamp fuse, but I have never investigated that to know if it's true in my case....
According to the Automotive Wiring Diagram for your coach the SPOTLIGHT gets its power from the wire labelled MF.

The Wiring Identification Guide show this:
MF / 14 YEL OVERCURRENT PROTECTION (15A BREAKER TYPICAL) FOG LAMP RELAY FEED/ SPOT LAMP FEED
The Front End Wiring Installation diagram shows that this circuit is powered via the 15A circuit breaker labelled FOG/SPOT LAMPS (in the middle of the 12V breakers in the left front outside compartment). Unfortunately I don't know of any way to disconnect these 12V breakers other than temporarily removing the power lead from the connectors on the backside of the panel.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #3

cbeierl: You and a few others seem to be the only ones who speak "Winnebago" when it comes to understanding and following their wire diagrams. So I'm glad you are on our side to help us figure these things out.

So, thank you for confirming the RadioRay Spot light is connected to the Fog Lamp circuit; and for the extra explanation that if you ever need to turn the spot light "off" you just need to open the fuse cover plate (just in front of the driver's side tire, and in the forward most compartment) and remove the power wire to the
"push-to-reset-fuse." ...Assuming you cannot turn the spot light off using the remote.

I'm still hopeful someone can tell me if I can make repairs to the RadioRay 2000 spot light when it has "slop" in the mechanical mechanism?
Old 10-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
... and remove the power wire to the
"push-to-reset-fuse." ...

Actually it's probably safer to remove the non-power lead from the breaker--avoids having a live power wire exposed which could be accidently shorted out somewhere.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The only trouble I've had with out Radioray is, it won't rotate every once in a while. I don't know how to analyze remote control stuff when it quits working. So, I had to whittle down a screw driver bit, to make the diameter skinny enough, to get into the holes, to take that shell off the radio ray. Once inside, I just removed and replaced the 12V power wires to the motor drive a few times to clean up the contacts which, didn't look all that bad in the first place. But, it started rotating after that little maintenance thing.

Now, even though we almost NEVER use that spot light for anything, I still get out and exercise it as often as I think of it. So far, it's still rotating and turning on and off. Sorry I can't help with your issue.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #6

Can anyone add to what "FireUp" said about fixing a Radio Ray 2000 light that turns one way, but not the other?

I'm going to get up on the roof next week and I'm wondering what to expect.

My light works fine, but jams as I turn the light to the right (looking out from the driver's seat).

Do you need to lubricate the gears?

Also I know the lamp housing is lose so has any one fixed that too? Maybe the fix will be obvious when I'm up there, but with my weight I don't like being up there unless I have to be.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Well Sir,
Mine too is "loose" up there on the roof. It's been loose for a number of years. I just haven't put it up on the priority list to tighten it down. What I use is a 10' or so high fiberglass ladder to get up high enough to get somewhat close to that light to work on it. It's not the best of a situation but, it's gonna have to work. As I stated quite a while ago on this thread, I had to actually *turn down* a screw driver bit to make it skinny enough to fit in the holds for those screws that retain the upper and lower halves of that light.

I also use a very tiny ratchet mechanism to turn that hex drive, 2" long screw driver bit. I do that enough until I can spin it with my fingers. Once the halves are separated, that reveals much of the guts inside. All the gears, if I recall, are all plastic. Even the ones that tilt it up and down.

But, if I were you, I'd find the smallest diameter, 2" long Phillips head screw driver bit and if it won't fit in the small holes that house those screws, you'll have to grind it down 'till it fits. Once you get those screws out, you'll see the whole mechanism. If you're lucky, you can just un plug the power plug to it (it's real small) and maybe spray some electrical contact cleaner on it and then re-insert it. You might get lucky and that will will do the trick for you in making that light act as it should. Good luck.
Scott
Old 05-10-2021, 11:08 PM   #8

Thanks FireUp: Your reply is very timely cuz I'm in Rocky Point and my paint crew I work with has a 12' ladder.

2 days ago I inspected my roof an made a log book entry so if I ever lose my fiberglass roof (again) in a windstorm my insurance (The Hartford) will pay another $35,000 to replace the entire roof. (Yes they did pay, but only because I proved I performed regular roof maintenance.)

Anyway, about this Radio Ray Spot Light. I'm amazed it hasn't just fallen off the roof. It's so wobbly up there. And after I lightly forced the spot light to move to the right, it now will rotate on it's own.

Like you, this repair has been last on my list, but I'm almost ready to tackle it and now that you mention it is best to do this on a 12-14' ladder, I just may get to it this week. TBD.

As for grinding down a screw driver, I don't suppose you can post picture for us all to see what you are talking about. ...No doubt, you kept the screwdriver, right?
Old 06-15-2021, 12:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks FireUp: Your reply is very timely cuz I'm in Rocky Point and my paint crew I work with has a 12' ladder.

2 days ago I inspected my roof an made a log book entry so if I ever lose my fiberglass roof (again) in a windstorm my insurance (The Hartford) will pay another $35,000 to replace the entire roof. (Yes they did pay, but only because I proved I performed regular roof maintenance.)

Anyway, about this Radio Ray Spot Light. I'm amazed it hasn't just fallen off the roof. It's so wobbly up there. And after I lightly forced the spot light to move to the right, it now will rotate on it's own.

Like you, this repair has been last on my list, but I'm almost ready to tackle it and now that you mention it is best to do this on a 12-14' ladder, I just may get to it this week. TBD.

As for grinding down a screw driver, I don't suppose you can post picture for us all to see what you are talking about. ...No doubt, you kept the screwdriver, right?
Hey Imnprsd,
I'm incredibly sorry about the late reply. Just got back here. It's late right now and I'll hit the sack and, will get a photo, if it's still of value to you in the morning. The holes in that Radio Ray, where the upside down screws are housed, are really small diameter holes. So, I took, I think, a 2" or 2.5" Phillips head screwdriver bit and, since it was too large of diameter to fit in the holes, I put that screw driver bit in my drill press.

Then, turned the drill press on and, with my 4.5" hand held grinder, I proceeded to use the grinding wheel as a *Lathe bit* and, just ran it up and down the screw driver bit as the drill press was turning. That allowed me to basically "slim down" that screw driver bit. I'd pull it out, go check fit, then do it again 'till the bit would fit into those small holes. Then, once it fit, I have a very, very small ratchet type handle, that fits hex headed bits. I use that on the screw driver bit hex end and that, is what is used, to remove and re-install those little booger screws. Get pics in the morning.
Scott
Old 06-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Late to throw in the thought but there are lots of smaller screwdrivers made to fit small holes. I keep a set that goes down as small as the screws on cell phones, so they are out there in the small screwdrivers sets.

One place to find a good choice of sets:
https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...ini%20screwdrr
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #11

Despite having access to a 12-15' ladder in Rocky Point, I never got a chance to fiddle with my Radio Ray Roof Spotlight.

I did rotate it to see how loose it was and it's pretty loose. And then the thing started rotating about 50% to the left, but to the right after a certain point.

So I'm guessing I have some broken gears, but it could be the whole housing is just so loose the gears don't engage. IDK, but I will be checking it out within the next 7 days. I do have the time, but I'm lacking motivation; and I'm afraid I will not have the parts to repair it.

On the other hand, this could be one of those times when a little effort pays dividens.

I will keep you posted and take pictures. ...And I have no idea what I'm going to find.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #12

Flat Spot In RadioRay 2000 Roof Spot Light - 2004 Itasca Horizon

Today got up on the roof and attempted to do some RadioRay 2000 service. This light is wireless and my remote would sometimes work and sometimes not.

In addition, the gears inside would not catch at times, and other times it would, but the movement left and right was limited to about 2" of movement and then it would stop.

I decided to assist (force) the movement left and right and sometimes I can get the gears to lock, and other times it felt as if the two gears that are supposed to mesh together inside were missing 1 or 2 teeth. I.e., this "flat spot" would then render the spot light motionless.

Then the job came to a full stop, because I could not GET INSIDE the housing is order to separate the power cord and clean the connector as FireUp discussed above.

=== PROCESS ===

There are 4 large mounting screws that hold the spot light to the roof and these were easily accessible with a Phillips head screw driver.

And there are 4 small screws mounts the TOP Rotating Plate of the spot light to the housing; and then this TOP Plate rotates on top of BOTTOM Plate, but even if you remove these small screws, you still can't get to the motor or electrical connections GOING-IN from the bottom. So there has to be a better way?

FireUp: I have no idea what sort of screw driver you had to grind down or where you put it? ...Does it go behind these plastic side wings I circled in the picture below?

The bulb is a H9 Halogen and I would have replaced it with an LED if it was not for the fact I hardly ever use this spot light, and when I do I want the brightest light possible. So I really do not care if the halogen bulb burns hot and uses a lot of DC-amps.

POSSIBLE FLAT SPOT FIX

Once I get inside what might my options be to fix the flat spot? I think the metal gear in the picture below will be in good shape, but I fear that large plastic gear will have some flat spots in it. So I bet I have to replace this big plastic gear. So, has any done this and can give me some pointers on what to expect?

Do you know if they make an "overhaul kit" and if so where do I buy one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RadioRay 2000 Roof Spot Light 0.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	180055   Click image for larger version

Name:	RadioRay 2000 Roof Spot Light 1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	180056  

Name:	RadioRay 2000 Roof Spot Light 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	180057   Click image for larger version

Name:	RadioRay 2000 Roof Spot Light 4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	180058  

Name:	RadioRay 2000 Roof Spot Light 6.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	180059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spotlight Controller.jpg
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	180060  

Name:	RadioRay 2000 Side Ears - Removal.jpg
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	180061   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 RadioRay 2000 Gears Inside.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	180063  

Old 07-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I haven't had to do anything with my spotlight, but you might take a look here: Golight Radioray Support

Among other info they seem to have disassembly instructions.