Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2022, 06:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2003 Sghtseer External 110v Outlet

I have an 03: sightseer and I'm currently in an RV resort. My external 110v outlet is used for plugging my golf cart in nightly. It's not burnt but looks a little toasty. Can I replace it with a GFI? Can I just get one from lowes or are they specific for rvs?
BigphilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

They are not RV specific in most case but it might help to look first to see it is not something that fits only in a real shallow boxorsomethingI've not seen! Lots of weird out there! but the GFI? Do you mean to change it to a GFI now? I would assume it worked through another GFi around the galley as a safety item already built in? The bigger problem of using two GFI in a row is if it trips, you never know which one to reset!
Kind of like one parachute is great but two can get you into trouble?

The big thing on GFI wiring is that there is an in and out side and need to be wired the right way for that. Line is the incoming and load is often marked for outgoing.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I have not found another GFI in the motorhome. I to thought there may be one in the gally or bathroom. I thought having a gfi outside for plugging the golf cart into might be just another bit of security. Especially since it's plugged in overnight while sleeping.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Things get changed on RV. Is it possible another owner has changed a GFCI to normal, so that protection was lost?

If all is as the plans show, there should be a GFCI near the galley which then protects it and the wiring and outlets we call "downstream" from that GFCI. The idea being that one GFCI can protect a number of other things to avoid the expense (and trouble) of doing GFCI at each outlet where we might touch the electrical and be on wet ground or touch plumbing.

It is a good idea to have one GFCI on this circuit as it has those danger places wired to let the GFCI do it's job. One thing that GFCI are known to do is get "weak" and trip too easily, so having two in a row can just lead to one of them tripping too often and being a pain. I don't think of them as getting old and NOT working but going the other way and working too often!

I would look for that one in the galley and if not finding one, I would replace it but just replace the outside with a regular outlet as it is then protected by the one inside as the power has to flow through the first to get to us outside.

Click to get better view!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GFCIext copy.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	183741  
Old 08-18-2022, 08:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all, I did find the GFI by the door on the side of the galley cabinet. Seeing the diagram really helped me understand the circuit. I picked up a new electrical socket and installed it. I sure feel better about plugging my golf cart in this new socket as opposed to the old toasty looking one.✌️
Old 08-18-2022, 09:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

YUP! Eventually we all got too toasty and have to be changed out to make room for better stuff!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for you help.