Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2023, 03:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2003 Journey dash fan replacement

I need to replace the dash heater/ac fan, squawking like crazy, and only running on high speed, so resisitors are bad also. how do I remove the lower dash to get to the blower? I can see it through the louvers, but not sure what to remove and how. does anyone know where the resistors are for the lower speeds? Thanks, B
rebrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On my MH, the resistor in on the outside of the heater core box on the outside of the firewall.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:41 AM   #3
Site Team

I would leave all behind the dashboard hvac to an auto hvac repair shop. To me, that’s a specialized area of knowledge and one that’s not historically full of repair ripoffs. Perhaps that’s just me.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I find that looking at the parts lists can sometimes lead me to how to take things apart.

It might be better to let you go direct to the parts here?
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Attached Images

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the suggestions, can't see anything from the Winnie parts diagram that helps, i will keep looking.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Okay, no reliable help there, so maybe some faulty memory type stuff?

Is there a carpeted "shield"' in front of the motor or is there a plastic cover with louvers exposed that you can see?
On some, I have found metal el bracket with screws hidden in the carpeting that comes off pretty easy----once I found the screws!
On other There was a plastic formed "shoud" that had a metal trim like strip running along the right side that let that end come out and pull out from clips on the left side.
That's where I was hoping for pictures to show as much clearer than word salad!

On the resister pack it seems to vary but all I have searched and found were in the air flow as that also cools them. I would have to start with more likely out under the hood if the thing sticks out there. Maybe look for wires going to it searching all the large space where the air moves?
Sounds like you have seen one before so know there is often not much to see of them from the outside? Just kind of small plate screwed to the plastic with wires??
Sounds like bearings on the motor so once finding it, you may have already found the resister pack.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It is a plastic cover with louvers, i can see the motor right behind it. I will check for screws under the carpet to start with. I was hoping not to have to remove all the upper dash to get to it. I will check for the resistors in the airbox under the hood, too. thanks.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

A different look?
I found this drawing on page 94 of this set:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...O/3wkp34hd.pdf

It looks like they did not show the cover as part of the AC but part of the "front end".

If this looks like what you have, you may be able to spot a couple screws that hold a metal strip on the right end of the plastic shroud and when the trim strip is off the shoud then may pull out and let the left end out of some clips there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2003.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	185072

Still hunting and pecking for the right dope so let me know if this is closer?
Old 01-28-2023, 09:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Morich, yes this is it. i spent this morning working on it, and it appears that the dash gauges and upper panels will need to be removed to access the left edge of the louvered cover where it is screwed in. I have a good shop in SC I am going to turn this over to, they have experience with the journeys and have probably done this before. I am a DIY guy and appreciate all the help from the Winnie community, thanks for taking the time to assist me.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

This old 2014 irv2.com thread has useful information in it and included hot links. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/das...ion-74445.html
and
https://www.google.com/search?q=winn...earch=irv2.com

When you need a solution to an RV problem, use the Google search box at the top of each irv2.com webpage to locate past threads addressing the problem.
irv2.com has a hundred times more members, which greatly increases the odds of obtaining a solution.
Morich is on there too, and we've both found a lot of answers there. Your name and password is the same there as here.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I just took my lower dash out to replace the floor. I stared on the lower center console and worked toward the driver door, mine was just held in with a few sheet metal screws. as you can see there is a clip on the right hand side that it slides into.

Name:	IMG_5800.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	185091
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info and pic. I will attack this again and see if i can get it out. changing the blower will be the easiest part.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:06 PM   #13
MetroManic

Replacing the blower fan and speed resistor.

I have an '03 Journey DL 36GD and had to do the same fan replacement a couple years ago. I'll try to attach some photos numbered according to the order I removed the lower shroud.
photo 1 shows my blower shroud before I began removing it.
photo 2 shows the first trim I removed that runs from the floor next to the door up past the dash.
photo 3 & 3B shows the removal of the hand grip - this was so I would have enough play in the upper shroud to begin loosening the lower shroud.
photo 4 - sorry this is a poor photo but shows hidden screws behind the storage bin once the bin is removed (refer to photo 1 - shows the bin on the left side of the lower shroud). This was the hardest part of the job - getting in that little hole to remove several screws.
photo 5 shows the lower shroud removed and reveals the blower motor
photo 6 just shows the new motor ready to install.

On my 36GD the fan speed resistor is accessible through the front access panel for the generator and circuit breaker box. You'll find the resistor mounted to your left on the face of the blower box, approximately opposite the new fan that you just installed.

If the photos don't load - please contact me and I'll email them to you.
Dale
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 '03 Journey DL 36GD.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	185094   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 SAM_4770.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	185095  

Name:	3 SAM_4764.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	185096   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B SAM_4760.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	185097  

Name:	4 SAM_4769.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	185098   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 SAM_4762.JPG
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	185099  

Name:	6 SAM_4758.jpg
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	185100  
MetroManic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks All for your help, I have it apart and waiting on repair parts now. FYI for other folks, the blower motor is a Unimotor 030-00137, mine had a bad bearing causing the squeal. The resistor is a Motorcraft 4c2H-19a706AH, which crosses over to an Advance auto Carquest part RUC 1019.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Further FYI. That resistor pack is in an awfully difficult one-handed access spot behind the Front cap. I got the 2 screws out and removed ok, but re-installing was rough. Here is a hack i ended up doing to get it in. i cut a 3/8" square out of an old greeting card and puched a hole in the center, put it on the inside of the resistor pack and turned screw in about 1/4". it held the screw in place so I could align the screw with the holes, then i used a small metal pole to hold resitor in place while I screwed them in.This might help others.

Tags
ace, dash, fan, journey, replace, replacement