Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Glad you found the problem. Hope it's just bad solder joints. I'm still debating whether to order one transducer (about $31) to have it on hand just in case, so I won't have to have too much down-time.
Please let us know when you get the repair done. Thanks,

George Stewart
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We are working on the repair, now. Actually, it's all done, just waiting for the sealant to set up before re-installation. Now, this is interesting. We tried to test without fully re-installing and without the sealant. The system would not build up pressure and upon shutting the engine off I could hear a hissing sound. I told my grandson his re-attachment of the air hoses need attention. He checked and said they were tight, but that he thinks the back must be sealed in position because air was leaking out the tiny holes in what I assume are the transducers. So, we applied the sealant and are having dinner while it sets. I'll post again when it's all finished and hopefully, that will do it.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Fixed! VDC Repaired - Was 2003 Itasca Dash Removal

We waited overnight for the sealant to cure and installed the VDC tonight. Started the engine, tap, tap, tap on the black box, no fluctuation in the gauges and no alarm. Apparently, it's fixed.

I would like to change the title of this thread from Dash Removal to VDC repair, but I guess I can' do that, but I did change it for this post.

What I learned along the way and that I would like to add to what everyone else has offered is this:

1. The solder joints are tiny compared to what I saw in the great pictures. Be sure you are prepared with a small enough tip in your soldering iron.

2. The box needs to be sealed before testing. I can't believe that plastic box is pressurized to over 120 lbs. but the system would not build up pressure until it was sealed.

3. According to the sweet young thing with the pierced tongue at Home Depot, she has worked there two whole years and has never heard of Butyl Rubber. This was the recommended sealant but I couldn't find anything by that name. I settled on a Dupont product intended for use in marine applications.

4. Listen to the experienced posters in this forum that tell you "you can do it yourself and save a ton of money." Very grateful for that.

5. If you're old and out of shape like me, have a young man handy to aid in removing the VDC if it is in an awkward place in your rig.

Thanks to all!

Tags
dash, itasca, removal