Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U - Vehicle A/C

I've noticed a couple of things regarding the vehicle air conditioning on my new to me 2002 35U. I have the Workhorse W22 chassis.

1. The regular A/C setting on the control knob seems cooler than the Max A/C setting.

2. I'm getting cool air from the dash vents but warm air from the vents under the dash.

I recently had the A/C serviced but it was cold outside at the time so I really wasn't able to use it until now.

Before I start looking for things, I thought I'd ask here first.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a 2006 Sightseer 29R and have the same problem. I have just lived with it for the last 4 years.

Please update if/when you find a fix.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
I have a 2006 Sightseer 29R and have the same problem. I have just lived with it for the last 4 years.

Please update if/when you find a fix.
If it's a problem for two of us, maybe that means it's widespread enough for someone to have solved it so let's think positively.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you are familiar with iRV2 Forums, you might post your question there on the Workhorse Chassis Section. Maybe someone there is familiar with the issue. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
If you are familiar with iRV2 Forums, you might post your question there on the Workhorse Chassis Section. Maybe someone there is familiar with the issue. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/
I was going to do that, thanks for the reminder -- it's done. Here's the link in case visitors to this post want to see if there are any answers on IRV2.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/w22-v...ml#post4211236
Old 05-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I forgot to mention that the warm air from under the dash isn't consistent but intermittent.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Problem Solved (Partially)

I identified the surges of warm air problem as operator error.

I didn't realize that chassis heater rocker switch was in Low instead of Off. Plus I didn't realize the chassis heater puts hot air out through the coach heating vents. I thought they were completely separate systems.

In addition, my right foot is getting quite a bit of heat off the side of the doghouse so I need to do some insulating.

I still haven't tracked down what's causing the Max A/C to not cool as much as regular A/C since I tried it after correcting the above but it's probably a venting issue.

I'm also not sure the valve that controls the water flow to the heater core is shutting off completely -- another thing for my list. I see where some have replaced it with a manual ball valve. It would be just like me to do so, forget to turn it back on this winter and be posting that I'm not getting any heat.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

1. I should have said "Coach Heater" rocker switch.

2. I just took the rig back to storage and determined that the rubber seal on the dog house is misaligned for about 12" along the left edge front, which is why my foot is getting hot. Plus it's not good to be getting air direct from the engine into the cockpit so this is #1 on my fix-it list before the next trip. I'm planning on insulating as well.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The only difference between the "regular" A/C position, and the "Max A/C" position on the switch is whether or not it recirculates the air from in the coach (max A/C) or brings in fresh air from the outside (regular A/C). I had a similar issue with a coach a few years ago. The problem was a break in a vacuum line. They use vacuum from the engine to actuate the multiple doors between outside and inside air return. I'm guessing one or more of your doors has a broken or leaky vacuum line, and instead of recirculating the air on max, it may be piping in air from the engine compartment...?
WarrenJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

My thoughts exactly -- I'm hoping it's a vacuum line, easier to fix.

Tags
35u, a/c, air conditioning, itasca, max a/c, suncruiser, vehicle a/c