Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2001 Journey speedometer

I have a 2001 Journey DL that the speedometer is bad. My Scan Guage is reading
MPH so the signal is being sent and the gauge plunged in or not reads 85.
I am looking for a replacement or someone to repair. I have not had much success on the internet. Numbers on rear 75220001101 040400
Any help wood be appreciated.
crsangel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:45 AM   #2

How is your Transmission Shifting?

I keep this video in my library as a reference....

This owner is a professional car mechanic, but he has created a few very helpful videos... like this on how to change your Allison Speed Sensor.

His primary complaint: 2001 American Tradition 8.3L Cummins 3000 MH Allison Transmission. Speedometer erratic, harsh shifting caused by a faulty output speed sensor in the transmission.

Soluton: Replace the transmission output speed sensor also known as a vehicle speed sensor. (Looks like it is on the driver's side about level with the drive shaft.) ...There is also an input speed sensor, in the transmission. However, the output goes to a hub (with oil in it according to the video) that bolts to the transmission.

Maybe the Input speed sensor talks the the ECM and the Output speed sensor talks to your speedometer. ...This is just a guess. So maybe a real mechanic out there can verify this and/or make corrections.

In any event, this Output speed sensor fixed a jumping speedometer. ...But may your problem sounds like an open circuit.

Do these things have a fuse somewhere you can check first; or more likely a relay protection circuit. (If so, try pulling the relay out and then pushing it back in to scrape off any oxidation. Then swap out the relay for a known good one to test.

https://youtu.be/zKocVH4oOwQ

or try this url: https://www.scannerdanner.com/rv-mai...nsmission.html

Good luck and keep us posted.

Note: I understand you might be able to just remove the device and then clean the pick-up, but that might suggest other problems. However, I would first try cleaning the contacts before pulling the speed sensor. Maybe that's all it is?

* Since we are on this subject, when was the last time your changed your transmission fluid?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Transmission fluid is clean and not old. I have a Scan Gauge reader plugged into the OBD
plug under the dash and it is reading MPH, RPM and all other readings so I would say the Speed sensor is working. We went on a short trip last week and watched my MPH the whole trip through the Scan Gauge.
I'll continue looking for a fuse to the gauge. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I usually don't rely on the speedometer on our unit. I set my speed using the Garmin RV Navigation unit. More accurate anyway.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #5

Keep us posted.

In the video by Scanner Danner, his RV has speed sensors.

I labeled them in this picture, but I'm not clear if the Input Speed sensor receives data and sends data to the ECM or not. It might go to a transmission data center first.

Is it possible your scanner is picking up the sensor from the ECM, which is good as you say, but your speedo (in the video) seems to be reading room the other sensor, the OutPut Speed Sensor, located next to the drive shaft hub that connects to the tranny. At least in this American RV, which may or may not be like your RV?

...And since it's dirty down there, maybe the contact plug just need cleaning? Certainly I would try that first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Output Speed Sensor & Input Speed Sensor - Allison 3000MH Transmissin 2001.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	176366  
Old 12-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I will definitely get under tomorrow and look Thanks.
I can always learn where one more plug or sensor is.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #7

Great! Please take pictures. I understand different chassis have different ways of connecting the drive shaft to the tranny, so your speed sensor for the speedometer may be located in a different place. (IDK)

Also, since we are on the subject of transmissions, you really cannot determine if you need a fluid change by color alone in an Allison3000MH. This is because you have a lot of fluid (relatively speaking) in the system which is good for cooling. But with time and miles lubrication breaks down. And if you wait for a color change in an Allison it's too late!

Transmissions wear out mostly due to heat caused by lack or fluids PM. And I don't buy Allison's recommendation to change your fluid every 300,000 miles. After all, you are not operating an OTR truck or driving 100,000 miles/yr, and your diesel pusher engine in the back is much more taxing on the engine and tranny vs. a typical truck motor and tranny up front. So changing your tranny fluid sooner is well advised!

Plus, if you are not using TranSend or some other TES295 approved fluid type, your Allison fluid changes need to occur more often. But my guess is that you do have a TES295 fluid, because to run an ordinary Dexron III fluid in an Allison is just plain dumb.

Allison is also very ambiguous about how long you should go between fluid changes. And when someone says your Allison fluid will last the life of the coach... THIS IS FLAT BAD ADVICE!

IMO, after you do a full Dexron-TES295 fluid and filter change, you can save some money by just replacing your filters (which takes 8-10quarts to top-off) at 50,000 miles and this will help to give back lost lubrication and cooling properties. Or you can do a full change at 50,000 to 75,000 miles depending on how hard you have been pushing your tranny.

Also, in my side radiator coach, my engine temp runs typically at 180-185 all the time; and my tranny temps are always -20F below that. But in other RV where the engine temperatures run closer to 200F, and get to up to 215F over a grade... their tranny temps are in the 200's also. So this shortens the life of the fluid.

So if you learn to change your tranny fluid yourself, and it's not much harder than changing the oil, you can save a lot of money and your tranny will thank you!

Here's a very good video on how to change your tranny filters:

And below is a picture on how to check your tranny fluid level off your Shift Pad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 How To Check Transmission Fluid Level.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	176375  
Old 12-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Former Winnebago Owner

I believe for your vintage of FL chassis the speedo and dash gauges are electronic. The signals that drive them come from the VCU (sometimes referred to as VDC). This electronic device serves as an analog to digital/digital to analog converter. It receives analog signals from components (speed sensor, air pressure sensors, temp, oil pressure, etc.) converts them to a digital stream to feed to the ECM or multiplexes them to send to dash indicators. Since your Scan Gauge is able to read and display speed data from the ECM it would eliminate speed sensor or tranny problem. Search this forum for VCU to find several threads describing how this thing works, where it is located and trouble shooting ideas.

Good luck,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #9

Sorry, but your VDC does not talk to the speedometer.

If fixed my VDC air gauges (with many thanks to other forum owners who told me how) and you can read about this here:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3874985

* You all should keep this thread for future use in case your pre-2004 VDC flakes out and causes your Air Tank Pressure to read low... causing your warning horn to go off.

Note: After late-2004 they moved the VDC to under the dash and changed its functions a bit. They then called it a MMDC. ...And around 2009 they started to run the air lined direct to air gauges.

This also means they came up with different gauge combinations, which is cheaper in the event you need to replace one.

Anyway, below is a picture of what gauges are controlled by the VDC ...and as you can see the speedometer is not receiving information from the VDC.

However, I can tell you that the VDC is connected to the J1587 data bus, and any shorts or gauge problems in the VDC... I suppose could ripple back to affect your ECM... and show up on your Speedometer in one form or another, but I would think your speedometer will still work. I.e., "parasitic affects" usually cause a bounce and not a complete failure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VDC Communication with Message Center Schematic (Dash Gauges).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	176499   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200814_122348.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	176500  

Old 12-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I just had the speedometer replaced by Freightliner for my 2001 Horizon. It seems that they don't keep a lot of them in stock and it took almost a month to receive it.
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #11

johnnyk: I'm guessing your speedometer is the same as the OP. ...If so, did you find the speedo was the problem? Sounds like it. How much did FL charge you if you don't mind me/us asking?

...Were the symptoms of your speedo failing the same? I.e., it just died all of a sudden?

I remember a time when there used to be speedo and gauge shops who can repair these things. So maybe this is an option? ...Who knows of a good speedo repair shop out there?
Old 12-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
Former Winnebago Owner

I stand corrected! The speedo gets data directly from the ECM via the J1587 bus. In the document imnprsd references (Medallion Message Center*.pdf), FL refers to the gauges as "instruments" which to me implies they are more than simple gauges, rather they are electronic devices. On pg. 13 the table shows the instrument data sources (See attached screen shot).
For the OP's speedo problem, a check & reseating of the speedo connector would be a next step. The document does not mention if the speedo calibrates upon power-up like the other gauges and I don't remember what happened on my 2002 Horizon when the key was turned to "on". At any rate I believe the transmission/speed sensor is not the source of the problem.

Safe travels,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-24 094425.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	176517  
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #13

Right... If the gauge fails completely and suddenly it's probably the gauge or there is an "open" circuit or dirty connection to the Output Speed Sensor.

In that video above the owner's speedometer was bouncing around or had gaps in the data. His problem was a loose/dirty wire connection at the Transmission Speed Sensor. I did not catch this the first time I watch the video, so I stand corrected. Consequently, in the video the Tranny Output Sensor got replaced, but only because he was making a video. So not the sensor, but he fixed the speedo bounce problem. So not a speedometer gauge problem either.

(Sometimes it just feels good to replace parts.)

Has anyone had their speedometer repaired and how much did it cost? ...Or can you easily find one at a RV salvage yard? ...If so, what does a used speedometer go for?

Tags
journey